why not

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by icefield, Aug 28, 2011.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

update 5 out of 5 golds, and england won the team trophy

oh and the 60 master 3 lifter won gold with a 275kg squat, 170kg bench and a 280kg deadlift, which were world record lifts in the squat and deadlift and world record overall total...i have a long long way to go :cry:

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So Update

Shoulder is still messed up which makes squats and bench difficult and has necessitated a change in bench technique

That being said back to lifting heavy this week, going for a modified Westside template until the next comp, one day DE work (full body) one day ME work

this week was sumo deadlift and bench press, took sumo up to 190kg for a single, groin felt tight from MMA the night before so called it a day, bench was a surprise first time lifting heavy in several months and with the new technique I did not expect 135kg but got it, equalled my all time best and the shoulder felt great...then spent 2hrs the next day working kimuras and omaplatas so shoulder wrecked again :confused: really need to see a professional

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

05/03/12
    AM 30 minutes GPP, average HR 137bpm, dynamic warm up, step ups, band rows, face pulls, heavy band core work and shadow boxing, tricep and bicep work, all circuit fashion
    PM Just 20 minutes foam rolling and static stretching
    100 band pull aparts throughout the day

06/03/12
    AM 28 minutes GPP before work, stair running, band rows, band good mornings, face pulls, shadow boxing, banded core work

07/03/12
    Am no GPP, slept in
    PM Powerlifting speed day
    Foam rolling and dynamic warm up 15 minutes
    Speed squats : week 3 70%, 120kg 8 x 2
    Speed bench 82.5kg 8 sets 3 reps
    Speed deadlift 6 reps 110kg, working on form and explosiveness
    Weak point work
    Triceps extensions 15kg 1)10 2)8 3)6
    RDL, 1 set 50kg 25reps (didn’t feel like going heavy today)
    Shoulder shocker 1 circuit
    Face pulls and external rotations three sets each

Woke up this morning shoulder and glute sore, oh well

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Next regional comp is at our gym apparently - 29th April I think. Of course I'm being strongly encouraged to apply but didnt renew my GBPF membership, just prefer the training. I will come along to watch though :)

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I know was given an entry form as a subtle hint last week so should see you there :)

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

09/03/12

MMA class 2hrs
    warmed up with 4 min rounds on the heavybag followed by 4 min round of skipping, repeated 3 times

Then spent the class drilling entries into the clinch and knees (some of the stuff was so low percentage I got bored really fast)

All being well i will now be able to drop this particular MMA class and take up studies again with my old sifu (difficult as friend teaches it and my partner also attends) but sometimes got to do whats right for you

So hopefully I wll be doing 2 powerlifting sessions a week, one MMA and grappling class and one day every week or every other week TCMA…..that’s the plan see how it goes

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Might as well update this again still been training but had a bad injury which has kept me off heavy weights for 9 months

Friday 4th Powerlifting
    First time back in the powerlifting gym lifting heavy for a long time due to injury so took it slow and easy
    Squats

Doubles and singles up to 140kg, then 2 x 5 back off sets at 120kg (felt easy enough)

Bench
    Doubles and singles up to 90kg 9weak as anything due to a shoulder and back injury lasting 8 months, feels better now but muscles are weak as anything) bench going from 135kg to 95 is a bit of a gut check 
    Then back of set of 14 reps at 70 kg, 3 x 10 at 60kg close grip

Hexbar deadlift up to 190kg for singles. Then a lot of face pulls and rows to work my injured upper back

Sunday 6th
    chinese boxing class

Worked through hung gars 5 animals and 5 elements form, like this for stretching and strenghting my upper back lats and rhombus muscles. Worked applications of the form against jab cross etc and also hits the pads for a bit

Monday 7th weights and MMA
    Light weights day started out with bench. Bar x 10, 40 x 10, 60 x 12 x s sets.
    Then 40kg close grip 3 x 10 sets.
    Then 40 kg 3 x 10 wide grip.
    Supersetted the wide grip work with 3 inch deadlifts 60 x 8, 90 x 8 x 4 sets.
    Then did speed squats 90 kg 3 3 x 5 sets. Speed squats should be done at the start but fitted it in at the end.

Then the MMA class started
    Did 2 rounds of: 3 min skipping followed by 6 x 1 min rounds of conditioning work on the rings, rope and bands. First round was upper body and core, second round was all lower body.
    Then worked 5 minute rounds on the thai pads, first round warming up anything we wanted, worked on using the hooks to set up the low kicks and the overhand to set up body shots. Last 4 rounds were working hands into low kicks and counter kicking the partners standing leg as they responded with their own low kick.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Hope your recovery goes well (from a fellow back and shoulder injury sufferer)! :)

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

cheers recovery seem to be going ok, as long as i look after my posture and stretch the chest neck every few hours and strengthen the lats and mid back, but its the loss of strrength in the bench thats annoying it was my best lift lol :mad:

10. Frodocious

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

08/01/13
    Upper body Back work
    Foam rolling and baseball rolling to warm up, static and dynamic stretches for the upper body
    4 x 12 face pull and rotation
    4 x 12 row
    2 x 15 scap push ups
    10 sets x 12 band pullaparts

12. Frodocious

Good luck with getting healthy shoulders! :)

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

9/1/13 submission grappling
    got there 30 minutes early to chat with the coaches and foam roll and stretch
    first hour was basic workm shrimps and bridges to warm up, followed by guard work: posture for guy on top, breaking posture and setting up the kimura for guy on bottom. Finished with the him bump sweep.
    second hour started with 10 minute flow roll, then followed with more advanced guard work, setting up the triangle from the scissors sweep, moving between triangle and arm bar etc. Also worked triangle from kimura when they try to get their head in to defend

finished with 3 x 5min rolls first roll spent most of the time on the guys back, he had good wrist control and choke defense so switched to the arm bar, second roll hit the arm bar from the back again, nice arm triangle from mount and a rolling triangle from mount that i didnt get time to finish. Final round hit the arm bar from mount then got stuck in the lockdown for a while. All three rolls i started from butterfly guard and really worked on double underhooks and sweeping or taking the back.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

thanks shoulders feel better, just got to remember to NOT stop doing the work just because it doesnt hurt lol

15. Frodocious

Tell me about it! It's too easy to skip prehab when things feel fine and then suffer the consequences down the line! My other big issue is not overdoing it rep wise in training because things feel fine only to wake up the next day with a grumbly shoulder - I'm slowly learning what I can and can't do, but there are mishaps on the way...

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

it didnt help that i got kimured about 60 times yesterday during training :cry:

Rhombus and traps are the main problem, they shut off when i bench because they got that messed up, hence the bench dropping from 135 to about 50kg lol, this work helps those muscles work again and takes the pain from the neck and shoulders so fingers crossed ill be competing in powerlifting again soon!

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what happened to your shoulder?

also, tried front squats for the rhomboids? my posture improved almost overnight after doing a few front squat lockout holds (props to steve for originally recommending front squat holds to me) inside the cage, so that also works as a somewhat brute force approach, if your back can take it (obviously gotta mind the injuries when trying that sort of stuff), but both normal and anderson front squats work as well.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

MMA Class

Got there early and did the following weights: foam roller upper body warm up then
    4 x 12 rows, 4 x 12 pull downs, 4 x 8 fatboy rows, 2 x 12 facepulls

MMA class first 45 minutes was conditioning 3 mins skipping followed by 8 x 1 min rounds of band, ring and climbing rope work, did 2 sets first set was 8 round upper body and core, second round was lower body and core, stretched in between sets and did more skipping

Last hour was pad work 5 minute rounds: hands into low kicks, defending their low kick and counters as well.

AM 10 minutes foam rolling and dynamic stretching, followed by 20 minutes forms: hung gar 5 animals 5 elements to stretch and strengthen the back and lats, then bakmei and dragon forms.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Powerlifting
    usual warm up then squats
    sets of 5s, then 3s then doubles up to 140 then two singles at 150 both comp depth, then 2 sets of 5 at 125kg, and a set of 5 pause squats at 100kg

bench singles up to 100kg, felt the back give a bit but was happy as first time ive bench 100 in over a year lol two back off sets of 14 with 60kg

finished with deadlifts, up to 170kg for a single, felt easy but left it there as first heavish deadlift in about 3 months

20. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Wow! That's amazing!