why left-handed seem overpowering right-handed?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by furn, Jul 27, 2005.

1. furn

furn Valued Member

Hi people!

Each time i watch boxing, and that one of the fighter is left-handed, they say that it will be an hard time for the right-handed to win this one or a least it will be much hard...why? I mean, why don't we say that a left-handed will got an hard time vs a right-handed man because is the opposite of what he fight again...

thank you!

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Beacuase!

With the majority of people people right handed, both the left & right handed fighter are used to fioghting right handed fighter. Hence when the left handed guy fights a left handed person he needs to alter his tactics!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  3. KlaussyZ

KlaussyZ Valued Member

Most people are right-handed.

the lefty probably spars mostly against right handed people.--he's used to it.

the right handed guy doesn't have as much practice against lefties as the lefty does against righties.

4. furn

furn Valued Member

oooooooh....so a left-handed will got some problem again another left-handed too?

so...would it be a good idea to try to learn to fight left and right-handed, at least it is possible?

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Yeah I thought that! But then again his opponent will have the same problem :D

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Imagine it; you spend most your time defending hooks coming in from your right, crosses coming in from the left; but then you fight a lefty; and the hooks are coming in from the left, and the crosses are coming in from the right! Its a difficult adaption to make in such a short time...

7. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

If two lefties were fighting and one switched to fighting right handed, the other lefty would have the advantage because he's used to it. It's still a good idea to learn to fight both ways, though.

8. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

If you can keep your left foot on the out side of a south paws right foot then they are not hard to fight. The trick is keeping the left foot where it’s supposed to be.

9. furn

furn Valued Member

One of my friend just fight for is fight time a left-handed in an amateur boxing fight, result, he falls k.o. the first round because he didn't see the hook coming

i think i should try to learn the two side, right and left....got any idea how to? I was thinking of doing like 1 day of boxing right-handed because i'm already this and pratice with more ease, and 2 day of boxing pratice being a left-handed...good idea?

thx!

10. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Personally, people wont agree with me but id rather stick at one side and become really good on that side, rather than affect my progress by training both sides. Make sure you spar a lot of southpaws and you should be ok.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm exactly the same; i'd much rather be good on the one side, than average at both orthodox and southpaw.

Most people I train / spar with are orthodox fighters.

12. furn

furn Valued Member

ok i will look like a newbie, but what mean southpaw and orthodox? Those english term i don't know them well...

thank you! :)

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Orthodox is left hand/foot forward.
    Southpaw is right hand/foot forward.

14. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Southpaw is left handed boxing stance, Orthodox is normal right handed boxing stance.

The Morales- Pacquiao fight is a briliant example of this. Morales handled pacquaio perfectly, even though pacquiao was southpaw it didnt cause Morales many problems, because he is one of the most talented boxers of this time. In the last round of the fight, Morales knowing he was winning, decided to switch southpaw and started getting his ass handed to him by Pacquaio. Dont know how that applies here but i love that round

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

Im a southpaw and I can always tell the people who have listened to this advice- they spend so much effort concentrating on keeping their foot outside of mine that they seem to forget I have been playing that game a lot more than they have ;)

Basically a southpaw is gonna have an advantage simply through experience of dealing with right handed people. The biggest thing you should focus on is your lead hand. fighting a southpaw it is dangerously close to their lead hook and a lot of people will have their lead hand out a bit further in front of their face so that they can block the cross. this is what I have always caught people on and why my lead hand is always glued to the side of my face if im not throwing with it. that is probably exactly what caught your friend out as well.

16. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

all southapws know this. so they try to keep there right foot outside of your left foot. well unless you are fighting in a strainght line and can shuffle from jersey to ohio. sooner or latter ya gotta come back. and if ya dont come really far out than your right down broadway for the left cross.

southpaws should be outlawed.

17. furn

furn Valued Member

So, if i catch the idea, the best would be to do a lot of sparring again a southpaw and not to try to be able to be southpaw and orthodox?

18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

lots of different opinions on this.

its always good to get in lots of practice against lefties.

it would be great to be able to fight out of both stances.
    however withthe demands of the modern world I barely have time to master one stance much less two.

if i didnt have a job i would learn both. but as is i only have about 2 hours a day to train so righty it is.

i think if i spil them both i just would be poor from both stances.

19. furn

furn Valued Member

Mai tai how many time do you train boxing a week? Do you do 2 hours each day of the week? I find it good no?

20. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

IIRC there are a few good articles about this topic on stickgrappler's website. I've been trying to learn to fight from both stances, but mostly because I'm left-handed and fight mostly orthodox. It might be easier for me to learn to fight like a southpaw than right-handed people so I figure I might as well try.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005