Why Karate will get you killed in self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Isaiah90, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's annoying how common this is in RBSD. Lee Morrison has gone that way but I really like his content. Trying to separate the art from the artist is not easy.
    I go on about Iain Abernethy a lot because, IMHO, he gets the "balance" of what it means to do martial arts about right. Not going too far in any one direction so that the benefits of other approaches are lost (although he'll be the first to admit it wasn't always like that).
    He's closely affiliated with Peter Consterdine and Geoff Thompson (although Geoff seems to have moved away from martial arts) so the practicality is there and informs what he does. But it's not all just self defence for a violent encounter most of us, thankfully, may never experience.
    But he is a proponent of martial arts that are life enhancing AND life preserving so always keeps himself in shape and physically fit as well as providing practical skills, personal growth, enjoyment, etc.
    His "martial map" idea promotes the idea of being able to to do any sort of training you like (SD, fighting, Martial art for health, cultural history, fun, fitness, etc) so long as you are honest and clear about what you are doing and your goals. Don't train for fun and assume it will also create practical skills.
    He takes from "tradition" without being shackled or bound by it.
    One way I disagree with him is that he doesn't do any sort of competitive or sport martial arts (although the class sparring he does closely resembles it on occasion) while I think that can be a valuable tool.

Mitch, Botta Dritta and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So I gave "Varg freeborn's" blog a read, and it's actually a lot less bad then I though it would be:

Varg Freeborn

3. Dead_pool

Double post

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  4. Dead_pool

I'd forgotten about Lee Morrison, he was deep into Q anon and trump worship wasnt the, and then fled the country to holland.

Edit I looked he's now threatening violence against the government due to vaccines:

What a total numpty (I hope that's allowed under the TOS)

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I read that in Danaher's voice :D

I definitely agree that Geoff Thompsons material still has a lot of application today.

I recall one of his books reading about real case studies, and one of the incidents had happened a few roads from where I lived at the time. It was a wake up to how often these things happen, when most of us will luckily never have to experience such violent encounters in their life.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think he fell into that trap that can befoul RBSD people...spending so much time thinking about dealing with bad guys they start to see bad guys everywhere and it colours their view of the world.
    The fine line between awareness and paranoia.
    Hence my bit about the "balance" of doing martial arts as a holistic activity that isn't just "eye-gouge!!!eye-gouge!!!eye-gouge!!!eye-gouge!!!eye-gouge!!!eye-gouge!!!" all the time.
    Everyone should take the time to land a really good jump spin back kick on a bag or do a cartwheel just for the joy of movement. :)

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh look the Pacrapo Principle is taking effect! Keep up the "effort" guys on constructive discussion on karate/violence that isn't "you don't know the realz of the people I've read, who for whatever reason I feel I'm equal to for just having read it without proving how legit they are!"

Pretty soon we'll be at the 80% useful posts/20% malarky ratio!

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

My posts already follow the Pareto principle: 20% of what I write accounts for 80% of the worthwhile content I produce.

Botta Dritta and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Ero-Sennin

Not going to lie, this whole thing seems like it requires a little bit of mental effort to understand, and the kind of mental effort that isn't a little bit of effort for a dummy like me (maths is quite difficult for me). I honestly don't know if that's a joke, or you being serious, or even how to process it. Don't try to explain it, just take the advantage to point and laugh at me xD. I don't know how I've gotten this far without know this thing existed. I pay attention to these weird circles online too! (the groups ya'll say are using it, not the pie charts.)

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  10. David Harrison

[​IMG]

11. Dead_pool

Damn I misread it, I thought it said the pirato principle, that the last 20% of the rum, leads to 80% of the hangovers, which is obviously true, that's why I always drink that 20% in the morning instead, and feel great first thing!

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Why are we talking about the pirato principle? We just aaaaarrrrrrrrrreeee.

Botta Dritta, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. David Harrison

[​IMG]

Botta Dritta, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

We all must decide the level of paranoia to which we will subscribe.

15. Ero-Sennin

I have a paranoia question.

Unfortunately sometimes people like prior military, police, or private contractors can't handle to reality of there being two different worlds existing, in which one world's sole existence is based on keeping what goes on within it away from the general public. You're simply not important if you get out of what you're doing and go live another life. Even IF you're monitored, that's a lot of resources, and there would be soooooo many people to actively monitor that it's simply implausible anyone is focusing on just you. So you don't have to build a bunker in the woods to protect yourself against the man ya'know. He's not coming for you, especially if you're trying to live away from other people.

I don't feel a need to build a bunker in the woods.

That said.

Ahem. Don't make assumptions.

That said, the wife and I have purchased 25 acres that we're developing. We have the woods. Bunkers are just . . . . kinda cool and when we have kids (which we're planning) then it would be AWESOME to play laser tag/paintball/airsoft with actual bunkers in the woods right?! And then for realism and because I know how to do it . . . . they just so happen to be built strong enough and strategically located on the property in such a way that I could defend it from say . . . . an alien invasion, zombies, the Catholic Church, Scientoligists, or .gov if they try to invade . . . . . . then ya'know . . . they just so happen to be ultra realistic, not paranoid right?

Right? Just because I add motion sensors throughout the property, trip wires, predator/rambo traps and random attack drones perched in the trees doesn't mean I'm crazy does it? Just for realism!
    this is definitely kidding around NSA, jeeeeez. The trench I'm digging around the property IS NOT going to be filled with alligators, acid, spikes, or lava. ::eye roll::

16. David Harrison

Yeah but, like, have you read Rory Miller? What could you know about violence? :eek:

17. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I’m smelling paranoia here…:)

But hey, planning for the zombie apocalypse is fun and in part is why I have more swords than I can use at one time…

18. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

This guys a master. Bow to your sensei. BOW!

19. Botta Dritta

I think its his 'one-step/move' material, that makes people go .."nah not for me". I think get the 'reasons' why he created it, but I'm not convinced its an optimal way of teaching physical self defence to anyone, especially after my experience of being punched in the face during boxing.

That being said his way of explaining violence dynamics I always found solid. I think his scenario seminar material is probably what people really want, but its also the material he never videos, because apparently he thinks its the one thing instructors can get really dangerously/wrong if learning unsupervised from a video.

David Harrison likes this.
  20. Botta Dritta

this is definitely kidding around NSA, jeeeeez. The trench I'm digging around the property IS NOT going to be filled with alligators, acid, spikes, or lava. ::eye roll::
    [/QUOTE]

Disappointed. I thought you were going to add a pintle mounted motion censor Minigun to your home bunker improvements.

EDIT: getorrf my propertah! BRRRRRRRRRRRAP

Predator Anytime GIF - Predator Anytime Mini Gun - Discover & Share GIFs

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021