Why is there nobody here?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by robertmap, Mar 26, 2006.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I haven't looked in this section of MAP before and was surprised by how small a section it was....

Is it that there are so few 'disabled' martial artists - I've certainly known quite a few... Including my all time HERO Ted Vollrath.

And what do we classify 'disabled' as - I have met and know of people in wheelchairs who do martial arts, I sometimes train with a man with and artificial leg called Dave (WHAT'S HIS OTHER LEG CALLED - :) Sorry I couldn't resist ) - Anyway Dave is Blue Belt (one below brown) in Kyu Shin Ryu Karate - He will be a black belt if he wants it... The thing to remember with Dave is DON'T kick or hard block his artificial leg - IT HURTS!!!!! - Me not him!!!!! I train with people who HAVE to wear glasses (or contacts) to train... I'm lucky I can take my glasses off...

So what's disabled????

Anyway, who gives a DAMN - Not an attacker so maybe that's why there are so few people in this section - it's not actually all that relevant - You might just as well have a section for thin people or people that can't hit hard or people that don't want to get hurt (THAT'S ME) - in other words - a martial artist is defined as someone who does martial arts and NOT by something that is relatively unimportant like number of limbs or being blind or deaf or ...

Anyone remember the old "Come back you coward" scene from the Monty Python movie where the guy has his arms and legs chopped off... Now YES of course it was meant to be funny but there was a truth there... A martial artist is defined more (much more) by mental attributes than by physical ones.

So, I guess I'm fishing for information... What is 'disabled'? What does it mean? And what differences to your training does it make???

All the best.

Robert.

2. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Well I'll give you my opinion on this one. I use the term disability, to identify one that has a problem whether it would be physical or mental. That may challenge one to do a certain task that may be easy for the average joe to do.

I have CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder) which is type of mental disability that I have.

Which does affect my memory, and how I have difficulty to interpret of what's being asked, in a question. Or difficulty in repeating a phrase, or given instruction by direction, to show lack of interest in some areas, and etc.

I mean thank goodness it's a mild condition. Could have gotten a lot worse.

But anyways disabled people to need to be accomodated, for them to make their lives easier to make their hard tasks a bit more simplier.

That kind of thing.

3. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

The differences to my training in Martial Arts with it. Is that I learn a bit more slowly, and tend to forget quickly. There are ways that I cope with it. By getting assistance, or constant need for review, and to break things down into small baby steps, to get encouragement from others. All of it is well worth time consuming.

But really I do focus on my own pace rather than the crowds' pace.

If I didn't have my disability let's just say, I would have been learning as fast as everybody, a bit faster, or a bit slower but not bad. My performance in school could have sky rocketed, I would have been interested in more options that's out there, and not so narrow minded. Could have had a greater verbal memory span and etc.

But right now I think it's a gift, that I was made to have more of a challenge I guess.

4. reel deel

reel deel New Member

I have disabilities physical and psychological, but truth be told I would rather concentrate on my abilities, The world spends so much time on labelling people with out ever TAKING the time to see the person within.I find that this is the attitude of most of my freinds (A lot of whom are far worse off than me and yet have a wonderful spirit that burns within each of them) who don't really like their disabilities pointed out to them the already know the world tries to put them at a disadvantage and they see (And I for that matter) this as an advantage

5. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man New Member

doesnt really answer the question but....

When I was 17 I broke my neck and spent a long time lying on my back staring at the ceiling in a spinal injuries unit. (I was one of the lucky 10% that evntually walked out - they showed me the stats).

What I found there (and what I have never forgotten) was a lot of down to earth people with no attitude, no front - generally no cr*p. Just very ordinary, very very nice people.

6. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

As far as I know, I'm not working under a physical or mental handicap. Monetary perhaps but that is another matter altogether. :D

I'd like to think that the reason why this part of the forum is rarely active is the fact that people here don't like to think of anybody as handicapped (this is regardless of the many examples of low personal attacks present on many debates in this forum :D).

robertmap, the black knight flailing about still gives me the shakes (in the love handles :p)

7. Flipper

Flipper Banned Banned

Image removed - Freeform

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Its probably not that busy in here because most topics on martial arts are disscussed inj the other forums and dissabilities are of little relevence to martial arts as a whole. By that I mean the anyone with a dissability adapts to there chosen art.

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Maybe its because many "less abled" martial artisits don't think there is anything wrong with their martial arts due to the fact they can still compete and interact in some cases with "abled" students.

There is so much scope for martial arts and styles its pretty much always possible to do something martial arts.

I like the fact this is possible - it exposes more people to what we all enjoy so much - martial arts :)

10. reel deel

reel deel New Member

Well said Melanie, When the physical side of my injuries started to kick in I had to completely change my fighting style, from going from orthodox to southpaw this is thanks mainly to my very understanding instructors we actually had to break down all the techniques so that they all worked from one stance, took a lot of time but it's going great!

11. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

There is a girl in our class who is blind...you have to respect that

12. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

I for one would gladly make this place bigger...with more people coming in...I don't know what it is, but I just feel more comfortable in a place like this. Sorry to say that...I think it sounds rather selfish of me.:(

13. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

WOW! That's hard!

14. JuztMeee

JuztMeee New Member

Originally Posted by Cyrax
    There is a girl in our class who is blind...you have to respect that

Sometimes there are parts of what happens in differently enabled training that are hidden advantages. With a sight problem I'm certain the challenge is huge -- but there are four other senses. You learn to use other options.

I have Chone's disease. That means I have a large number of issues that don't show up when you just look at me (or look at how I practise Tai Chi). My art has been a large part of how I choose to compensate and even helps keep my body working in a way that is closer to "normal" (whatever normal is). Ability and disablility is about adjustment. All martial arts are about adjusting to reality. In fact -- isn't that what life is? Are we going to play the hand we're dealt -- or are we going to fold, give up, quit?? (Personally -- quiters are the ones that make me ill -- not someone with the guts to try something outside the box.)

Adjusting and doing something outside the box is the reason our arts were developed to begin with. I began working with Sifu Recardo at least partly because he once worked at the VA Hospital here. He believes that our arts have something to give to those with difficulties. Insidently -- those who deal with difficulties have a great deal to teach us as well.

15. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Hi Robertmap,

Those of you who know me, well already know my story so I will make it short....as I can :)
    I am a disabled martial artist......in 1995 I survived a domestic violence attack that left me with numerous injuries that have "evolved" into *from a broken back* to ruptured protruding disc in lower lumbar, protruding discs in cervical area, I had osteo arthritis in spine (the doc's say there is no sign of it now on the xrays they sai the MA's TCC healed it (yes, that chi).......I have PTSD and panic disorder (mind disabilities)

The physical disabilities make it difficult and frustrating to work with a partner as we must be careful so I do not fall hard! and the emotional disabilites must be taken into consideration as when a person like me, a survivor of domestic violence or violent crime, deals with heavy panic or flashbacks of being hit by the perpetrator (sometimes brought about from playing MA) I for example need to be able to say "ok, I need space and step back a second and just breath then jump back in. So far while there have been a few rude people who tried to provoke or name call, the MOST of MA's are VERY encouraging and helpful.

MA have given my life back to me. Most of my Kung Fu brothers, sisters Aunts and Uncles are so understanding and helpful, and YESSSS I get my *toes stepped on* when needed !(figure of speach, not literal)

I used to feel embarrased or bad to have a healthy person work with me, as though I were taking away from their training however, I now feel that when a *healthy* MA practitioner works with a disabled person, they too benefit; they learn to work slower hence improving there form.... they learn patience, and they may just learn a new move or two from the disabled person who has to improvise :p

Before KF I was in a constant state of panic, and very aggressive, I percieved almost anyone as an attacker so would attack first, this is not healthy and could have landed me in jail for assault! (not to mention being incredibly injured)

After KF, I began to learn to focus on myself, which helped with my ability to be a little more relaxed. I also do not percieve so many things/ people as a threat.

Physically, I have gained strength, helped heal muscles and bones.

I have also been afforded the opportunity to share with fellow survivors, while I certainly by no means am anywhere near being a Master! I am able (with the blessings of my LaoShi) teach what has helped me.... with good feedback :)

Regarding being disabled, I understand I can't perform certain moves (GRRR) a bit frustrating, however, I also understand I CAN work on the moves I am learning and perform them to the best of my abilities, thats what its all about right, that and the awesome camaraderie!

All in all, I am one of many disabled martial artists here......

16. LOSpawn

LOSpawn New Member

I'm very new here, but I will say that this forum really sparks some interest for me. Not because I have a disability but because I've trained with those who have and seen many more that put everything that they have into their martial art,even when they constantly battle limits that the rest of us take for granted. It's always been an inspiration to me. I often wonder if something took away my abilities could I persevere, and continue on. To see those who do just that can be quite a motivation!

Just the fact that this forum is here says that this board is truely open to all possibilities in the Martial Arts. That is the message it sent to me and definately one of the reasons I signed up.

17. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Lospawn,

How nice to meet you. I look forward to talking more with you.

KFG

18. LOSpawn

LOSpawn New Member

Thank you, nice to meet you also! Great AV by the way. ;)