Why Is Kempo Called A Scientific Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by gray fox, Sep 16, 2005.

1. gray fox

gray fox Valued Member

Why is kempo called a scientific martial art?

2. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I think this is a description used to describe the American styles, although I think it is a fairly apt description of Shorinji Kempo. I think it stems from the reliance on body mechanics and principles like the lever and wheel. I’m sure other arts rely on these principles too. In Shorinji Kempo everything works because of these principle and nothing is explained away by strange or unusual powers, just sound scientific principles.

3. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

American Kenpo makes a point to codify and explain WHY everything is done a certain way.

Many traditional styles have scientific methods of body motion within their kata and bunkai...but rarely do instructors disect them, name them, then publish methods pertaining to the theory as to why they work.

AK does. In AK, there is no:

Student: "Grand Dragon Super Sensei, how does this technique work? It doesn't seem realistic."

GDSS: "Because I said so. Now do it."

Every technique is backed by a "scientific principle".

May you achieve
    Satori

4. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I think that comes form Parker's habit of breaking EVERY aspect down into consituent parts, naming them and grouping them... apparently he was an avid "amateur scientist" and realted every popular science idea he came across into Kenpo somehow :)

But also, kenpo's techniques are based on a classification and study of body reactions - anatomy and physiology and psychology. So in an ideal situation a kenpo fighter will follow a logic progression. So IMHO it is more of a "logical system" more than a "scientific system".

5. niclans

niclans Valued Member

Hi, i'm new here. Have been practicing TKD for 5 yrs and just discovered shorinji kempo. From what i observed, i would like to add that kempo, other than scientific martial art, my sensei always remind us that kempo is also a thinking martial because every movement and execution have its own reasons and application.

6. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

Let's not forget that although we may have a certain amount of intellectual understanding about kenpo, the practical reality of improving requires a certain amount of faith in repetition and just practice, practice, practice. After all, kenpo is much more of a physical activity than mental.

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I've read that Parker would tell his top students "life is short - just worry about HOW, once you learn how if you are still alive then learn why. How is more important"

8. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Welcome to MAP, niclans. It's always good to see more Shorinji Kenshi around here. How long have you been practicing for? I think that SK is very much a scintific martial art; just last class I found out that I really don't know anything at all about body mechanics and the finer points of manipulating your opponent. Back to the drawing board I go. :rolleyes:

9. niclans

niclans Valued Member

Hi omicron. Actually i'm quite new to SK, though i'm aware of it long time before. I've been training for like 5 months now, and what the hell, i'm enjoying every bit of it. Yeah i agree with u, SK is quite scientific in their application, as though every step of the technique have been well thought of. In my place, Malaysia, specifically state of Sabah, the sensei here really like to apply it quite gracefully, but the power and speed produced are really amazing, sometimes it looks like Tai Chi. In my place SK is quite revered by other MA. No regrets and going all the way...

10. MartialWay

MartialWay New Member

The answer is simply; someone called it a scientific art. Anything that can be related to physics can be called scientific.
    There may be other explanations, of course, but when it comes down to it, things sell better if backed up by solid fact. What better way than to relate science to your martial art.
    Momentum, leverage, gravity, speed, and "most importantly", dollar value.