Why is boxing so popular?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by laruz114, Dec 5, 2004.

1. laruz114

laruz114 New Member

No offense to boxers but I find it a little boring. After watching so much K-1 I really can't understand why boxers are so much popular aside from Americans wanting to feel good about themselves.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Boxing is a widely accepted contact sport, which has been accepted by society. Not everyone has been exposed to Thai boxing like us guys.

Personally i like watching boxing, but i much prefer watching K1 :)

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

k-1 is currently growing MUCH faster than boxing (although if they continue with their horrendous judging I see that slowing down)

and yeah I do find it more interesting, but I still like boxing and watch whenever I can.

4. laruz114

laruz114 New Member

Ya that judging was real bad tonight. I just hope it gains popularity because I'm sure if many people actually saw K-1 they would watch it more and more.

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Mainly because it appeals to the man in us, I think. There's something gutsy and admirable about not hitting a man when he's down, not hitting below the belt- and still accept that you might get a beating.

6. laruz114

laruz114 New Member

I haven't seen anyone hit someone when they are down in K-1 and no ones punching eachother in the balls so what? And I'd say it's much more dangerous as boxing seeing as how it has everything that boxing has and more.

7. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

k-1, ufc etc will NEVER be on the same level as boxing. Boxing is much more honourable, artful, generally better.
    To be honest its k-1 and ufc that i find boring cos large portions (if not entire matches) are spent on the floor with neither fighter doing anything interesting. MMA dosent have enough rules to keep it interesting IMO

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Boxing has also been around for a long time. It's gained acceptance in a way that MMA hasn't.

9. laruz114

laruz114 New Member

That right there proves that you haven't even ever watched a K-1 match. The only time people spend over 1 second on the floor is when they are knocked out. I agree with you on UFC though, yet I could easily see K-1 becoming way more popular if it gets its promotion in the US going. 70,000 people in a stadium in Japan yesterday, at least they have good taste.

10. Markism

Markism Taekwondo Fighter

I reckon cause more people can imagine themselves in the ring, whilst picturing themselves in the K-1 ring they cannot.
    I'm talking average Joes here. Most of them in bar fights would box not kick.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

K1 is different to the UFC.

And no, MMA will never be as widely viewed as boxing is; simply because those who have no knowledge of grappling, find watching a fight on the floor boring.

But us guys who know whats going on, LOVE IT :D

12. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

I agree most people dont understand grappling[me included] but it's still good to watch how skilled these guys are.Personally i love them all as much as each other they are just different.Boxing,K1 and UFC rock.

13. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

I think i like watching boxing more than UFC because of the grappling on the floor which i find boring, but i have not seen alot of UFC...
    I have not seen K-1 before i dont think......

14. Claudinha

Claudinha Valued Member

It is cultural imo...

Culturally it will still take some getting used to for most Americans to get used to the idea of low kicking (or kicks in general), and clinching. Boxing has only been legal here for just over 100 years. It is getting better but, it still goes against many peoples ideas fair play(?!). Not to mention the fact that even though wrestling is very popular in this part of the country, the idea of one man sitting in another man's guard is appalling! Futbol may be popular in most parts of the world, but John Terry, Ronaldinho, and Carlos Tevez could walk down ALMOST any street in this country and not get recognized.

15. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

True. MMA fights may seem brutal and dishonorable. Just 2 big, thick, muscular guys going after each other in anyway they can.
    Of course, those who know and love it like Yuki understand the hard work that goes it. Unfortunately most people do not.
    And it does look barbaric and uncivilized.

16. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Ha!!!! I had a friend who used to go out with John Terry...

I echo your comments and SM's; people don't understand the skill involved, (which is understandable; I never really appreciated boxing until the last couple of years. Its one of those things you have to do to actually appreciate watching it,) and so label it as thuggery.

I showed some students the basic full guard the position the other day, and they didn't seem too happy with it!! :D

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Alot of people seem to have that " Just 2 big, thick, muscular guys going after each other in anyway they can. " perception. This is because it's not understood like boxing is.

18. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Because it keeps the fighters in arguably the most dangerous range for long periods. And watching KO's is something people are fascinated by

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's the most bizarre hypothesis I think I've ever heard.

For my experience, I found boxing much more interesting the more I learned about it. Before, it was just two guys slugging away. Now I can see the angles, combinations, footwork, timing etc. that make boxing an art. And that fascinates me.

Same with grappling. It used to just be two guys on the floor not doing much of anything. But now I see them going for position, trying to unbalance, etc.

I think it's most just a question of exposure.

Stuart

20. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I saw some K-1 once wasnt too terribly interested in it foudn it boring. Watched a lil boxing when I was younger, though **** was boring. Watched some more boxing more recently, found it more interesting cuz i sorta understood the hows and whys of it. its like wathching any other sport. I hate watching american football, cuz I dont know all the fyunky rules. Same goees for lots of otehrs sports.
    Its like watching a track meet, nless you were actually involved in track and field at one point its boring, cuz you dont know why or how this or that is important.