Why I Prefer Dating Women Who Are Martial Artists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Subconscious Sailboat, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ahhh map has just eaten my reply, twice!

So ultrasound isn't just used in physio, look at
    extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy etc.

Infra red is just a source of heat, heat brings more blood flow, which depending on the patient and the injury can help them complete the exercises.

It's on a much different level then praying to a god that doesn't exist.

2. Dead_pool

Ahhh map has just eaten my reply, twice!

So ultrasound isn't just used in physio, look at
    extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy etc.

The success of extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy based on the stone-attenuation value from non-contrast computed tomography
    It has a 65 to 90% success rate.

Infra red is just a source of heat, heat brings more blood flow, which depending on the patient and the injury can help them complete the exercises.

It's not magic, and it isn't the main pathway that physio can sometimes work.

Really if the way it works isn't important to you, then that's fine, but if your approach was the common approach, we wouldn't have any more advances in science or medicine, and that would be a bad thing, it also means you can be conned more easily.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The use of ultrasound therapy for musculoskeletal pathology is no better than Reiki. It is on the exact same level as praying to a god that doesn't exist.

If you are offended by the idea of physios praying over patients, but not by them using ultrasound machines, then that is a purely aesthetic distinction, not one borne out of evidence.

If, say, prayer and sugar pills have the same placebo effect, then it really doesn't matter to me which is used. Just because one fits more into the stylistic tropes of medicine, doesn't mean it makes it any more "real".

4. Dead_pool

Placebos arnt used in normal medical treatments, Only in studies, and even then not very often, ethically and practically there's normally better options.

Prayer and sub ideal treatment choices are on two very different levels of wrong.

Which would also be born out by any decent professional register.

I wonder if there's any cases of physios being struck off for offering prayer?

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Abso-chuffing-lutely. So many people seeking medical help want to be listened to and feel cared for (and have an illness treated of course). But they generally get a 5 minute appointment and out the door. That ends up as a nocebo effect as they don't feel validated.
    It used to be called "bed-side manner" (to some degree) and at my practice you can tell who has it (can't get an appointment with those Doctors) and who doesn't (the Doctor you accept begrudgingly because to get your preferred one will take weeks).
    Had one locum Doctor who sipped his tea loudly (shudder) while looking at a screen for diagnosis rather than actually engaging with me as a human. Terrible.

David Harrison likes this.
  6. David Harrison

Please explain the difference between an accepted medical treatment with no clinical evidence and prayer. I'm failing to see any distinction.

7. Dead_pool

8. Dead_pool

One has the potential to possibly be true, and is widely accepted as a potential treatment, even if historically

One is complete nonsense.

If you apply the bolam test to it. Then you'll seez one gets the physio struck off/sacked, the other may just be sub optimal practice.

Bolam v Friern Hospital Management Committee - Wikipedia

9. David Harrison

10. Dead_pool

It's a time thing mostly, GPs have a new patient every 20 minutes, which includes notes and prescribing, get one patient with bad news, that's a good hour taken off.

I've also gone private and you get a lot more time and attention, for only an extra 280 quid an appointment, and usually the same drug treatments afterwards.

11. David Harrison

I think this distinction is nonsense.

Something completely ineffective is fine, as long as everyone else is doing it?

12. Dead_pool

13. Dead_pool

That's the standard UK medical defence, otherwise new treatments could not be tried out.

As long as a few of your fellow experts think it's not harmful, then professionally it can be done, practically things are a tad different in the NHS, where there is more control over what routine practices are.

14. Dead_pool

I'm guessing your not a materialist at heart.

cloudz likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

16. David Harrison

Yes, absolutely I am.

This distinction between woo that looks medical, versus woo that looks magical, strikes me as entirely opposed to evidence based medicine.

17. David Harrison

First you would have to show that it does work, and then if you were using it in the NHS you would have to show that it works better than cheaper alternatives.

If those criteria were met, then yes, why wouldn't you use it?

18. David Harrison

A number of GP's would disagree with you:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIChAC&usg=AOvVaw26s1fdH2E6wElH8ezSkkr3

19. Dead_pool

The difference is, it recently used to be used widely (not so much now) and it has a plausible mode of action.

Nice seem to be saying don't use it, so it won't be, but I wouldn't overly judge physios who do use it, as long as it's part of the treatment, not the entire treatment.

20. Dead_pool

Your links not working for me, I'd like to see context.

Note it says "Instead, they saw placebo effects (but not pure placebos"

People want antibiotics for a cold, you prescribe paracetamol instead, they feel better and they recover anyway, that sounds like the sort of thing there talking about, not giving out placebo tablets, which a GPs can't do, and chemists can't supply, and legally you can't just relabel some tictacs.