Why fence left handed?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Lad_Gorg, Jul 21, 2013.

1. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Apart from anything else you've got a wire running up the sword-arm sleeve and the jacket is zipped down the opposite side i,e. a left-handed and a right handed one aren't the same. You'd have to change clothes to switch weapon hands.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I didn't ask if you train in how to use a weapon. I asked if you fence. The original fencer is talking about the modern sports of foil, epee, and saber, not weapons-work in other contexts.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't separate "'sport" and "combat" as you do.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

then why respond on a thread specifically about the sport art of fencing....?

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Whether you do or no is irrelevant. You're not answering the question being posed.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Are you a traffic cop?

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If my opinion is "irrelevant" then why should you care whether or not that "I'm answering the question being posed"? It's "irrelevant" anyway.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

nope but I am curious why respond, it was a specific question about sport fencing so what was the point in raising real weapon training for combat? It added nothing to the discussion and didn't answer any question asked?

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Yes! I did fencing and I believe to train one hand is the right method (I'm repeating myself here).

Do you agree that "sport fencing" is a training and testing for "combat fencing"? Do you agree that in "sport", you

- stab your sword into your opponent's body,
    - punch your opponent's face,
    - throw your opponent down,
    - choke your opponent out,

the same way as you do in "combat"? This thread is under "weapon" and not under "sport". When did MAP turned into "sport only" forum? I truly have no idea what we are arguing about here?

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

No. It's really not. There's some skill overlap but sport fencing is a goal in and of itself, very different from training in bladework as a combat skill.

Depends on the sport. In FIE fencing, all of that activity is grounds for a black card, lifetime ban, and probably a call to the police. It'd be like pulling a knife on someone in a boxing match.

MAP is not a "sport only" forum, but this particular thread is about an Olympic sport. Nothing precludes you from starting threads about swordfighting as a life-or-death combat skill, but the original poster didn't ask about that, he asked about Olympic fencing.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, obviously it's physically impossible to switch hands mid-bout. I just meant in general I've never heard of an FIE-style fencer in foil, epee, or saber fencing left-handed on Tuesday and right-handed on Wednesday. Some coaches switch off for the limited purpose of giving lessons, but nobody competes one day left-handed and the next-day right-handed. It's simply not done.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's a sport only question, not really that hard to grasp.

It'd be like going on to a Kendo competition thread and moaning about the targets they use.

13. PointyShinyBurn

I used to train with a very, very good guy who would do it from time to time in practise for a giggle. Agreed though, it is not common practice or recommended by any coaches, anywhere.

14. PointyShinyBurn

In case of what? Suddenly falling through a portal to Westeros?

15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That totally happened to me once. Luckily the Tardis showed up and I bummed a lift home. True story. :)

-Mark

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I have a strict live-and-let-live policy with people who want to train in "realistic" swordfighting. I personally don't get the appeal, but their hobby is no skin off my back. More power to them.

Unless they're one of those historical swordfighters who feels the need to constantly disparage or bash sport fencing in order to justify their own hobby. If they're not going to live and let live, yeah, then I'm going to start making Westeros jokes to them.

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Listen, I get sword training with martial applicaton. That is the way I am taught too.

But let's not go overboard. Let's be realistic about the times we live in.

When are any of us going to be engaged in a life or death sword duel in this day and age? When are any of us going to be walking down the streets with our sword and use it in a self defense situation?

There are weapons TMA practitioners learn that are more oriented towards real self defense in modern times and some less so. Stick, staff, cane, even, daggers are very applicable to the modern age. Spears, swords, Pole arm style weapons- not so much.

No shame in admitting the less modern day applicable weapons are just plain old fun to learn.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't train with any less martial intention with those weapons. But I wouldn't be so quick to get all "I train for combat" judgemental on a thread about sports use of a weapon either.

No disrespect intended. but seriously................

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Combat = Martial = 武(Wu). Why the word "combat (or martial)" could upset so many pepople in this forun?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Imagine if we started talking about pulling a knife in the clinch during a sport Shuai Jiao match. It's a genuine concern for combat, but an irrelevance for sport Shuai Jiao.

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Why do you think people are actually upset?

People were just responding on your posts being out of context with the original question posed. Your responses specifically mentioned life and death survival chances, not general concepts of martial=combat. Life and death survival chances have to do with self defense or battlefield situations. This thread was talking about sports fencing in particular.:)

As a left handed person, I find the idea of left handed people having an advantage in fencing to be interesting.