Why doesn't Karate look like this anymore?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by RandomTriangle, Feb 8, 2008.

1. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292RJFjGCKA"]SHOTOKAN - The Art of War - YouTube[/ame]

i'd train in it...

2. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM5Sfx5xXNs"]Turgay YeÅŸilyurt - Enpi - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFF3BS6KNms"]Turgay YeÅŸilyurt - YouTube[/ame]

For katas.

3. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Because people are pansies. What you just showed me basically looked like a regular Muay Thai match in Thailand with two guys in gi's and on a mat instead of a ring. That was the only difference honestly, same intensity, same explosiveness, just some really good solid and realistic technique. But then McDojo's happened, blame black belt factories and suburban parent's signing up their kids to a dojo as a day care and not as a real self defense school.

4. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I'd have to disagree. Seeing those guys with the stances and punching mechanic types, I'd never mistake them for muay'ers. I saw it as distinctly being karate.

5. RandomTriangle

yeah... i don't think it looks like MT at alllll... the techniques look completely different.... and in MANY ways... much much cooler.

6. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Okay sorry about the technique comment, you guys are right on being pretty diffrent in mechanics. But I think we can agree that those fights were very intense and exiting? Reminded me of Muay Thai/Lethwei/Bokator, just some very aggressive and all around solid stuff. I was very impressed, but it does seem to nut ride Shotokan a bit too much. I personally hate Shotokan in the states because the guys that I know take it generally annoy the hell out of me. Some are okay, but most are japanophiles/nutjobs. The fights were very impressive none the less, I would take karate if it looked like that.

7. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Ummm... Shotokan still looks like this, as far as I've seen. We just have (more) standardized gloves now.

8. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Personally all I've seen is a bunch of overweight japanophiles practice kata religously, bad mouth Judo/BJJ/MMA, and point spar. Also I've been told at one school that the owner of the school used to fight in China town (in NY) in some type of underground fight club for $500.00 a fight. So yeah, I've heard some pretty ridiculous garbage.

9. RandomTriangle

i'm happy to hear this... because i've never heard of it still happening this way. At least not in the USA

Do you have any videos of people at your club training that way?

i'd honestly love to see them.

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I don't know of any places near me that train like that.

My Dad trained in the 60-80s in Shotokai and it was very much like that, he was lucky not to have lost teeth or come away with a broken nose.

Thats the way it was back then, you hit as hard as you can, but would only pull hits to the face in class.

My dad told me of one training session where everyone was in class warming up, practising a few drills, then the sensei walked in and looked at everyone, turned the light off and shouted "hajime". Lots of black eyes and broken noses later the lights were back on.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It still looks like that sometimes but the fact is that a lot of restrictions are placed on schools by insurance regulations. I was told recently that the reason the KUGB's had to introduce hand pads for kumite was down to their insurers even though nobody's ever claimed insurance in the time the organisation's existed because you know what you're getting into when you do karate.

I've trained occasionally with some of the guys in that video (Frank Brennan, Jim Brennan, Andy Sherry, Gary Harford, Terry O'Neill) and they all grew up in the early days of British karate when it wasn't all that well known or well regulated. Now they're all a bit older and a bit more sensible about what constitutes safe training. Terry O'Neill is pretty much held together with duck tape these days. He's still a very big, strong guy (and still sounds like John Lennon) but the kind of training those guys did takes its toll on your body.

12. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Just look at the cover of the current ' Martial Arts Illustarted ' magazine to see why karate has become such a subject of laughable scorn amongst the general public............

13. steppenwolf

steppenwolf New Member

in some certain place it does...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoJRue4Ih7g"]YouTube[/ame] (check out this user - he's got more videos, incl. some knife fights)

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

That was not karate. No skill at all just guys beating the crap out of each other. You can see that any saturday night in any big town or city.

koyo

15. february

february Valued Member

Karate (particularly Shotokan) can and still does look like this. As with most things, it just depends on finding a good school. Unfortunately, over the last 10 years I think Shotokan has been a major casualty of the McDojo explosion.

That clip in the OP is brilliant btw, guys like Brennan when they were at the top their game, were incomparible then and what they did then still holds up today. It should be pointed out though, that most of the stuff in that clip was point fighting, just going to show that although it gets scoffed at, it can be as brutal and impressive as any "full contact" fight.

16. steppenwolf

steppenwolf New Member

can't disagree that they are not the most skilled fighters (as I can see they are white belts though...), but I am sure you can't disagree that it was a real hardcore. Also if these guys would work on technique more, then they would have more chances to become excellent fighters, than those from McDojos...
    And to me it looks more like bad mma match, than a saturtday night brawl... But again these guys are probably beginners. I'd like to see more skilled fighters from these club.

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

sabaki challenge

Well this is the sort of stuff I used to see with the Sabaki challenge.

Enshin karate, Denver Colorado school.

The head sensei , Master Ninomiya was a top black belt of Master Mas Oyama who decided to leave the system. He had to fight a large number of knock out matches to be allowed to leave honourably. He carries the Kyokushinkai tournament traditions with him to Denver although his karate is somewhat different. Used to be a real interest in this tourney before MMA came on the scene. (No grappling in this tourney from what I remember).

http://sabaki.enshin.com/

cheers, powchoy

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Are they allowed to put their hands up?

19. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLzjXwEau2s"]Isso é Karatê 1 / This is Karate 1 - YouTube[/ame]