Why does Hatton keep ducking Junior Whitter?!

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, May 5, 2008.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok so after Hatton's loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. he's now got a hometown bout against Juan Lazcano on a May 24th card...

But the question for me is... why does Ricky Hatton keep ducking Junior Whitter?:confused:
    That's right the kid who throws and connects from mad crazy angles trained up at Brendan Engle's gym in Sheffield.

Surely the fight against Lazcano is going to be nothing more than a tune-up for Hatton. A tune up he sorely needs after losing to Mayweather in 10 one sided rounds. Lazcano has seen better days in his 15 year professional career. There is obviously no love lost between Hatton and Junior Whitter... everyone knows that... with that and the radically different styles of boxing... it'd be one of the most exciting fights of the year damn it!! On top of that Junior Whitter is a world title holder at the moment (light-welterweight) with a successful defense of it and followed up by a KO of Vivian Harris and Hatton doesn't even hold a world title at the moment... so Hatton has a lot to gain by taking on the fight... not the least of which would be putting paid to the accusations that he is ducking and dodging Whitter.

So when is he going to go up against Junior Whitter? :confused:
    Will Frank Warren ever allow this to happen?!:confused:
    Is the real issue the money between Golden Boy Promotions and Frank Warren?

Surely this match up would be nothing short of spectacular for boxing fans but in particular British boxing fans! :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJS-HttWeio&feature=related"]Junior Witter calls out Ricky Hatton to his face - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. Raoh

Raoh Valued Member

There was something said between the two at last years BBC sports personality of the year. Hatton said witter was well out of order for what he said and would now never give witter the biggest pay day of his carrer.
    A more likely answer would be why would he risk being beat by another Brit and his legacy torn down.
    Its a damn shame it won't happen, two of britains best fighters going for the 1 light welter spot.

3. slipthejab

Yeah I agree it would be a barn burner of a fight. Even more so with the dislike they have for each other... and with Hatton's supposed legacy on the line.

4. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

Hatton keeps ducking Witter because he poses the most threat with the least reward of all the champions. Not a household name either side of the atlantic, although that might change after his clash with Tim Bradley this Saturday which will be aired on itv and showtime in the states... should he be victorious.
    Hatton will have run out of excuses if he beats bradley (who is undefeated)
    Hatton could indeed do with a good performance after mayweather. id like to see him fight mallignaggi next... which looks likely, then witter.

Witter won a then vacant wbc title and while it is arguably the most prestigious alphabet belt, Hatton still holds the linear title, hes the man who beat the man.... he got stripped of his wba&ibf belts when he moved to welter weight the first time. IMO he should have been facing better opposition since winning it.

i think Hatton-Witter is a possibility for 2009 providing they both keep winning. would be a great fight, pity it isnt witter instead of lazcano on the 24th.

Frank Warren isnt Rickys promoter anymore so would have nothing to do with it. dont know off the top of my head who Witters promoter is.
    All boils down to money at the end of the day

5. slipthejab

Yeah I just read that Hatton will be facing Malignaggi. That should be interesting. I wonder if Malignaggi can handle Hatton's style in the ring. Should be interesting. I really hope that Whitter VS Hatton happens... it'd be nice to see their beef put to bed in the ring.

6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Looks like this fight wont be happening anytime soon....:D

7. slipthejab

Boy and then some... :D :bang:

Yeah I haven't actually seen the fight yet... but now I'm curious. By the sounds of the reviews I've read he's talented. Not that I expect Hatton to give him a go either.

8. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

RICKY HATTON v PAUL MALIGNAGGI

I think this fight will be a good one if the Witter fight does not happen. Not happening till the fall though.

Thanks,
    Tom

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well I watched a bit of the Witter/Bradley fight on the weekend.
    How one judge called in in Witter's favour is beyond me.
    Witter seemed to be looking for the one flashy punch, switching stance all the time but ended up getting mullered by some good old fashioned rough-house boxing.
    He got caught with a powerful overhand right in the sixth. Made me wish that a knockdown gave more of an advantage to the successful fighter. Winning a 10-8 round just doesn't seem to do it justice somehow.

10. prowla

prowla Valued Member

The best man definitely won - Witter never quite got into it really.

11. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

agreed. but bradley has a tendency to lead with his head too much for my liking.

3 times he was warned, but no points deducted...

12. prowla

prowla Valued Member

That is true, and I think he came pretty close at one point.
    But I do think that he was genuinely keeping his head down rather than trying to use it as an extra weapon (and he was also the shorter of the two fighters, so his forehead was naturally about chnin-height for Witter). It was also pretty clear that it was his punches that caused Witter's cuts.

Whatever, though, I watch boxing with a horrified fascination, in total awe of these people who put themselves in the danger zone and risk injury and permanent damage in the sake of entertainment.

13. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

at least once it was a deliberate lead with his head, my mrs laughed at me when I leapt of the sofa shouting "awww come on ref, are you blind!?"

:D

14. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

After seeing Bradley in previous fights going in with the head and connecting it would grab any fighters attention when he puts it down and goes forward. In fairness it didnt cause any great harm but should have been deducted a one point at one stage. I think the ruling should be stricter on this. What was worse though was in the last few rounds especially Witter kept hitting and holding, and then just going forward and holding:bang::bang: without so much as a warning. Definitely a bad night for Witter, Id like to see a rematch as he deserves one. Maybe with Hatton out of his head he could take care of business better

15. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Hatton hates Witter and does not want to give him a big pay day and thats the crux of it, witter is not a big fight for ricky imo, especially after his defeat.

why would he fight witter? pointless and giving someone he dislikes a great pay day, witter has been disrespectful about ricky lots of times..

if the shoe was on the other foot , the same would apply-only for witter would actually be ducking ricky..