Why does everyone put this art down

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by straughany10, May 13, 2010.

1. straughany10

straughany10 Valued Member

everytime i read this forum i see people slagging Wing Chun off, i used to do kuk sool won and when i was looking into that i noticed everone doe the same to that art, so i am coming to the conclusion that people on here just slag anything that they dont do because they have never tried it, OR i might be wrong, so can anyone give me sensible proven reasons why Wing Chun is "crap"

2. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

In general: Lack of sparring, silly body mechanics and little to no evidence of it working under pressure. Those seems to be the general complaints and I've not seen much to refute them

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Because of its modal (in the mathmatical sense) training fashion and because it mostly appears to promise one thing...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnm0YiNfcA&feature=fvw"]Samuel Kwok Wing Chun fighting applications DEMO - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EO9nDdhx1A"]Extreme Wing Chun Kung Fu Street Tactics - YouTube[/ame]

but often delivers another...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AomhzXJ1Xvo"]MMA vs Wing Tsun Kung Fu - YouTube[/ame]

these seem the most common gripes with the chun.

I trained it for a while... didn't enjoy it.

EDIT - I would also add that the practitioners themselves often harm _ing _uns rep. The most harmful of it's exponents appear delusional about their fighting abilities and the reality of violence.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

lol completely agree with you - but be careful of the stereotypes thing. I got into bother for sayign the same thing about the ninja wannabes on another thread :)

5. Killa_Gorillas

I know mate I saw it haha :)

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

A Martial Art is not seperate from it's practitioners. No matter what is taught in a Martial Art, it's practitioners ability to apply it under pressure is what defines a Martial Art. The aggregate skill of the practitioners of a Martial Art is what defines the quality of the Martial Art. Logically, the way to show that a Martial Art is of high quality is to show that the practitioners have skill.

If the practitioners are good, the art is good. There is no evidence that the practitioners of Wing Chun are any good. In all the footage I've seen, I've only scoped 1 or 2 good representations of the art. The best representations I've seen was on Human weapon, and Richard Chu's boys.

I'm always willing to consider new evidence that Wing Chun doesn't suck. I am pretty skeptical about it now.

7. gcollin

gcollin Banned Banned

wing chun is not crap, no traditional art is crap, i think it the other way around, i am not a huge fan of modern arts.

8. eyeofstorm

eyeofstorm Valued Member

I'm not sure that youtube is altogether a good thing. It becomes too easy to get an opinion of a martial art or other activity based on a 5 minute video of one particular person's skills (or lack of them). that may not be representative of the art at all.

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What about 100 video's? Or 1000? or 10 000?

Eventually there's got to be a large enough sample to represent the art. I don't think most people are hunting down poor videos. The poor videos just come out at such a high frequency that the only way the practitioners can defend themselves is with "That's not the real _ing _un!!"

10. TheInsuranceMan

TheInsuranceMan New Member

What do you base your opinion on exactly?

11. Killa_Gorillas

Youtube is fine. Just because something is on youtube that doesn't automatically devalue it. Youtube is host to a wide variety of video from a wide variety of media contexts.

With regards to martial arts you can watch anything from a one month white belts home video to a clip from a major television networks documentary to the official promotional material/instructionals/tournament footage from sokes and major organisations... in terms of content it runs the gammut.

A video of Samuel Kwok is a video of Samuel Kwok youtube or not.

12. Killa_Gorillas

here is a great example of the dis[parity between what is promised and is produced...

Emin Boztepe demo...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4tOBU_cHw"]Emin Boztepe Wing Chun - YouTube[/ame]

William Cheung demo...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ew7OVPHFI"]william cheung wing chun lap sao - YouTube[/ame]

William Cheung & Emin Boztepe 'fighting'...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byxvfFRqT7Y"]YouTube[/ame]

oh look not so much fighting more a clueless school yard mauling... from wc grandmasters?? don't get me wrong it doesn't have to look pretty, but it should look like the art you practice and should look skilled or at the very least competent. For an art that has no formal grappling in its curriculum it sure went to the floor quickly.:rolleyes:

It's hard to take an art seriously when you see stuff like this.

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Hello,

THAT'S NOT THE R34L D34DL13 _ING _UN!!!

14. Killa_Gorillas

OMG SHOW M3 D4 L3333TZ S7R33T KI77ING _ING _UN PL33ZE!!!!!!11111

EDIT - found it...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm_GxGsLvj8&feature=related"]Sherlock Holmes - One Of Best Scenes (Fight Scene) - YouTube[/ame]

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

WC

- "chain punches" is very effective in close range.
    - 45 degree downward "cross leg" is very effective on the shin bone.

WC "chain punches" is just like BJJ "leg/legs shooting". Both are simple and effective. Of course WC may not have effective "hip throw", but boxing doesn't have "hip throw" either.

16. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Sorry I couldn't resist: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7KxuDYfpSQ"]Bullshido: Wing Chun Sucks - YouTube[/ame]

I trained it a bit, some useful stuff and a load of rubbish. The art has some good concepts but in general its badly tought. And whoever invented that stupid stance with the toes pointing in should be forced to spar ten rounds in it. Crazy fool.

Having said all that I'm sure theres some good schools out there, Master Wong seems pretty good for one, good San da guy as well.

17. straughany10

straughany10 Valued Member

so is that WC that owld sherlock is doing then?

so what are people tring to say, that they will only believe it is a good art when they see it being used with effect in a proper fight?

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

this is the second post you have made that ridiculous statement but its ok , "modern" martial arts don't like you either

19. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Show me chain punches working in the ring. If its effective then it should work in the ring. Show me.

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you train, it will work for you. If you don't, it will not work for you. How many times have we seen Judo "Uchi Mata" been used in the cage fight? Nobody used it because people don't train it, and not because "Uchi Mata" is useless. Beside Cung Le, have we seen anybody else ever used "side kick" and "spin back kick"? For a while people may think that "side kick" and "spin back kick" are useless in cage fight until Cung Le proved the value of those kicks in the ring. More and more new skills will be brought into the cage fight if some fighter have spent enough training time into certain moves.

When you mount on top of your opponent and you just keep hitting on your opponent's face until he is out (there are many clips like this online). That's "chain punches" by my definition (nobody ever said that "chain punches" can only be used in the stand up game).