Why do you train BJJ?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by RandomTriangle, Jul 24, 2008.

1. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

What are your reasons?

2. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

Because it has material that I can't get anywhere else (besides Sambo, or Judo that is). Also because its fun. :woo:

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

1. Because it is fun!
    2. Because it is excellent for groundfighting skills and I have never really spent a lot of time training these. As woman, I feel that the ability to defend myself on the floor is a vitally important part of self defense.
    3. It helps me keep fit.

4. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

It's the greatest and most effective martial arts ever.

5. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

It stimulates me mentally and physically.

6. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I saw Royce Gracie kick @ss and take names in the first UFC and have wanted to learn it ever since.

7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

1. The instructors at my club are great and it's a really convienant location.
    2. It's very enjoyable and it's a good bunch of people who train.
    3. I get to roll every single class.
    4. It's good exercise!
    5. Grappling is a good skill to develop regardless of what your training.

8. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I like grappling because for the only time in my ~9 yrs of martial arts that I ever felt that technique could outdo size and strength was in grappling. It may be that I was a crappy striker, or did crappy striking systems, or personal preference, or whatever, but I don't feel like I'm holding the sling against Goliath unless I'm on the ground.

Also I like the fact that there's no useless training in grappling/BJJ. The moves you learn, the drilling, all help for grappling. It was a change from when I did other systems, where you have choreographed forms, one steps, self defense routines, and a whole host of other junk that didn't contribute much to actual application.

And finally, it's fun and actually intellectually challenging. It's a chessmatch on steroids. It's sudoku on steroids. It's Pokemon or Yugioh or Magic or whatever nerdfest you want, on steroids.

9. HoAmPacMan

HoAmPacMan Proud Daddy

I think to be a martial artist, you need a good background in a couple different techniques... BJJ is a strong ground assult. I am a whopping 160 lbs... Not a big guy... I see this being something practicle that even with someone bigger... Combined with a stand up technique and maybe judo or similar... it is all good....

10. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Fun and fitness. I don't care about self-defence: while it would be nice if the BJJ I've learned had some use if I ever got into an altercation, its not why I train.

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Self defence is a part of it I guess. Other than that two main reasons. I hope to have a shot at MMA and I want some experiance before I starts. Secondly I grapples and holds to striking.

12. Megami

Megami New Member

I'm not really sure why I got started with it other than I was afraid to try Krav Maga again. lol

I keep doing it because it's a great workout, the instructors I have are fantastic and I like learning more about it in every class.

13. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I like beating bigger guys and seeing their faces when I escape everything because I'm smaller.

14. Southpaw535

unless of course you slip. having big people in a full mount on you isnt nice.

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

That's when my traditional JJ comes into play. Even the big ones scream at pressure point techniques. I don't use them that often, but it's fun occasionally.
    And I really have to stop myself from pinching sometimes.

16. Southpaw535

lol pinching

17. Just Guess

Just Guess Valued Member

1. It's fun
    2. Judo newaza just isn't what it used to be

18. Hadge

Hadge New Member

1. Its great fitness
    2. It stimulates the mind
    3. It feeds my hunger for competition
    4. You learn something new every session
    5. The guys at the club i train with are great and we have a great instructor