Why do you study Ninjutsu?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sandstorm:RS, Jun 24, 2011.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Seriously?

Mods have lives too. If I stood over this forum long enough to make sure nothing got out of hand I couldn't train.
    If you look, I deleted posts of my own of Frodo and many others. There is no seperate rule.

As for the slimming post, you'll have to excuse me I was doing this at work and needed to be Ninjaish. I missed it. At the very least it was somewhat related to the topic at hand.

Can you think maybe some more things to bitch about or do what the forum is for and talk about training?

2. Tsukaneru

Tsukaneru Valued Member

Yet more off topic posts. MAP is not a 'perfectly' policed nanny state. It is what it is. It actually reflects the real world in some ways. Deal with it.

I made a sarcastic remark earlier. Pretty low. But I didn't lie. I have met so many wonderful people over the years in real life. Even people I disliked I came to appreciate. 'ninjutsu' has not just helped me survive some physical encounter, but liberated me from my own trappings and continues to help me grow. Awkward as that is.

3. J_Alexander

J_Alexander Valued Member

I study and train in ninpo because it is a complete system and the best martial art.

Jamie.

4. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

1). The post you are referring to was "thanked" by three people....one of whom is a forum mod.

2). It was a sincere answer to the question; I wasn't attempting to be funny or clever.

3). I followed it up with another answer that was slightly more comprehensive and just as sincere.

4). Do you actually study and practice Takamatsuden or a system that is derived from it? Because if you don't it begs the question what you are doing on this forum and why you are even participating in this particular thread.

- Mark Spada

5. Sandstorm:RS

Sandstorm:RS Valued Member

Thanks for that Fu Bag, my centiments entirly and that is exactly what I was hoping to achieve in the first place.

Kind regards

R

6. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

You're welcome, Sandstorm. Practicing a bit of my own advice at the moment. :bow1:

7. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Serenity now...

8. Sandstorm:RS

Keep it up mate it seems to be working.

regards

R

9. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

For me, much like Count Duckula, I didnt choose to study ninpo, I had trained in Yagyu, and wanted to study something else. Genbukan offered the same traditional approach and a variety of Jujutsu ryu to study, Ninpo is a bonus.

10. Sandstorm:RS

Fair play to you mate and I wish you the best of luck in your training.

If you don't mind me asking, which club do you train at and what attacted you to study Yagyu in the first place? What made you chosse Genbukan instead of Bujinkan or Jinenkan?

I will understand and appreciate your decisions if you choose not to reply as I have asked some pointed questions, but I am really interested in what you have to say Kobudo.

kind regards

R

11. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

I like to remain anonymous so I wont say the name of my club, but the other questions I think are fairly straight forward.

I studied Yagyu in the first place as when younger I trained in some gendai Jujutsu, I then worked in Japan for a few years, one of the locals I worked with invited me to visit his club and train with him as we'd discussed Jujutsu, I went, fell in love with it, and kept it up.

When looking for a new club, I read some Hatsumi books, I liked the Koryu included in Budo Taijutsu, but 2 things stopped me joining BJK, when I attended classes in BJK to try it out I didn't like the lack of structure I found, it was too different to what I was used to. The second thing was I wanted to actually train the ryu, not just snippets included in Budo Taijutsu. (In the club near me, I'm sure other clubs are able to cover specific ryu in more depth)

This lead me to try out Genbukan, the class was far more what I was used to, I have the opportunity to study the Ryu which was my primary motivation, and I was very impressed with Tanemura sensei so chose to join GBK, fast forward a few years and I'm still here....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  12. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Oh, and to be honest, until I'd already joined I had never heard of Jinenkan.

Although I think Manaka sensei is impressive

13. Sandstorm:RS

No problem Kobudo I respect your wishes and commend you for being so honest.

Yes, the Genbukan is much more structured then the BJK and I think taking into consideration your dedication for wanting to pursue the actual Ryu themselves, that you made the right decision. Koryu is a vast subject, very interesting but exteamly time consuming. I note from your recent reply that you menetioned Jujutsu. Out of interest, how do rate Jututsu as studied in Japan (either traditionally or in its modern format) as compared to how it is taught over here?

Kind regards

R

14. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

It depends what you mean by rate??

In regard to perfecting your movement, having techniques flow naturally without effort, etc, etc, in my opinion the Japanese win, their way of training, and understanding their systems outweighs what's seen in the west (I'm only speaking from my experience, not commenting on all MA in the west)

This is why I love training Koryu, for the perfection, history, preservation, etc...

However, actually using these skills in a real fight situation, I think training in the west has the edge.

We can all talk about how traditional ryu were used by samurai, in real life or death situations, etc, etc, but in reality how many people now train traditional arts with combat as the priority??

Western methods often have self defense at the core, perfection of technique comes second to 'did it work?' - I think this leads to people training themselves better for actual fighting today.

Just my opinion....

15. Sandstorm:RS

I would have to agree with you there (an excellent answer Kobudo), the Japanese approach to teaching is very different to that in the west and I personally think that if you are going to study Koryu then you MUST go to the source.
    With regard to your training with the Genbukan, have you had the chance of meeting with and attending seminars with tanemura Sensei?

Kind regards

R

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This^!

At the moment I'm working long days and often don't get round to logging on here until late at night. I'm trying to keep on top of things in here but with the number of people who derail threads for their own petty personal agendas some things are slipping through. I would ask for co-operation and understanding from the posters on here, but I know that I won't get that. I may get some lip service paid to the request but as soon as someone sees an opportunity to take a swipe at one of their 'enemies' all bets will be off and all hell will break loose again.

17. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I'm not sure The Arma will agree with that assertion.

18. Sandstorm:RS

That's an interesting site.

regards

R

19. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Yes, I've been to 2 taikai so far, but have also trained at hombu a couple of times now, want to go back soon. Seeing Tanemura sensei live is amazing.

20. Sandstorm:RS

Yes so i've heard. One of my students had the opprtunity of trining with him and he said the same thing. unfortunatel I was abroad at the time so couldn't attend.
    Do you study or are you interested in Amatsu-Tatara?

regards

R