why do people seem to hate wing chun???

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by airweaver, Jan 2, 2008.

1. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

ive seen numerous posts by certain people ridiculing wing chun...

id like to know why.

is it cos you dont like bruce lee movies?

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ok so I give this thread 20 posts before it turns the same way most wing chun threads seem to go.

Play nice boys! ;)

I personally don't hate wing chun- I don't dislike styles but the practitioners of styles who claim to be th3 d34dly or buy into something that really isn't there.

3. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

i didnt say anything, honest :p

4. watts

watts Valued Member

Wing Chun is generally a pretentious martial art which makes claims that can not be backed up.

Claim #1: A Wing Chun straight punch (from the center line) is always faster that a hook, because hooks are slow.

Claim #1 is then backed up by a student throwing a slow haymaker at the sifu..

Claim #2 Wing Chun is not for competition, it is only for the street.

Which is a neat way of never testing Wing Chun aginst other martial arts. There is not too much difference between a bald russian trying to knock your head off in the cage and a drunk bloke from Basildon trying in on down the local boozer.

etc etc + 60 posts

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Partially because of the ultimate MA tag that a lot of orgs present themselves with, but mostly because in actual combat it's theories don't hold up. Personally I think it has bits and bobs of workable stuff but would never take it up nor reccomend it.

6. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I have to agree that it will only last about 20 post.

Well the only thing I have found that would apply over to other fighting situations, would be the punching method and the keeping people outside or inside thing that is taught. The flaw is no ground work and no way to stop it.

Why people give it crap is to test it. The thing is no one ever just goes to a Wing Chun school and fights one of the people they just set back and lob in conjecture. Say, 'it has never been proven to work thing like that'. When they could go fight Wing Chun teacher anywhere, the thing most teachers would want is to go with out gloves is probably all they would request. I mean it could not be that hard to fight with a Wing Chun teacher.

So I want to encourage people that want to fight a Wing Chun person to do just that. So lets start a support your local Wing Chun school by fighting the teacher. Or maybe it would be called the "Wing Chun workout challenge program".

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I just think the Emin Bozetepe/Yip Man bitch smack video is a shining example of why not to do WC.

8. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

It's a novel idea. But in this age of of the lawsuit it aint gonna happen.

Dojobusting was popular in the 70's and early 80's where quality control was meted out by force.

9. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

LOL I was just thinking about that...too funny. They should of had the prodigy song with it boot.

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Oh and Bruce Lee didn't think much of Wing Chun either.

11. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

See post #32: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75307&page=3&pp=15&highlight=wing+chun

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

No need to be a shrinking violet... you can name me directly. :D

I think you should really go back and read some of those threads better. Seriously. I'm one of the people usually swinging a handbag with furious vengeance in them. :p

Right off the top... much of it is a wind up. Why? Because it's amusing to wind up most of the WC lot who take themselves far too seriously. The WC lot is notoriously easy to wind up. They frankly remind me of the Dungeon's & Dragons lot... only knock kneed and espousing martial theory and not much else. :D

In those threads there is usually a fair bit of questioning going on - but the answers are usually the same trite stuff. Some of which has been met with uber-death-match-bare-knucks-street challenges (lol) and other responses have been people posting up videos of MMA fighters with boxing backgrounds apparently as some sort of proof that WC techniques work in MMA. Go figure.

My experience has been that whenever we've had someone with a WC background show up to a training session, sparring session or a free fight session - it's just silly how fast they get owned. I've posted some vids of just that recently in one of the WC threads. It seems that all of sudden all theory goes flying out the window the minute they get caught with a punch. Yes, yes there are lots of people doing push hands in the park... but how many will actually put on gloves and have a go... see if any of what they love to run on at length about in somewhat superior tones will actually stand up under pressure... not many that I've ever come across.

Which reminds me that most WC people I've come across love to talk a good game... but when it comes to putting on the gloves and having a bit of a go... usually can't back up what they talk. Of course at which point them out come the excuses ranging from:

A) the gloves made me suck (MMA or boxing gloves... same excuse)
    B) I suck because WC is for t3h str33t and not the ring
    C) I suck because it wasn't a self defense situation

All of which don't really wash. There probably are guys out there doing some good stuff... but I'm guessing your average track and field athlete just by the sheer athleticism would preform far better in an actual fight than most WC practitioners who profess to be training for an actual violent encounter.

I do know a very tiny amount of guys who train/have trained WC that can back up what they're on about. To a man everyone of them works on a door. They have about the same rate of ending violence as the other guys working on the door who have no WC training... so I really have to wonder how much of their fight stopper ability is attributable to training WC and how much is down to simply having worked on a door.

Anyhow that's my take on it... :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

No, I'll always see that to "Kung Fu Fighting". With dancing hamsters in the background cheering them on. :D

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The initials say it all :D :D :D

15. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Just don't get it twisted and say it's the rapper WC.

[​IMG]

His Glock Fu is powerful :D :D :D

16. Topher

Topher allo!

I think there are some good principles (such as simultaneous attack and defense), some individual techniques (the guard, lap sao, pak sao, chop, perhaps bong sao, etc) and sensitivity which are all workable although they have to be trained well against resisting opponents and most of the time you not gonna find that. I'm sure simple things however like lap and pak sao can be used in MMA.

17. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

You might be right slipthejab, I personally did work the door at one time and it teaches correct timing, also I never had the need for the punching thing(chain). Thing I did was like combined moves that both stopped forward movement and certain throws that come from like Shuai Jiao, as a fact I probably use more throwing than hitting.

It like I said helped my timing, 'big time'. Especially when it came to knocking the legs out the opposing direction from the heads movement.

The combined attacks work excellent for controlling people, it was from Wing Chun. This is taught as part of the control the distance in Wing Chun.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Wow, all these posts and it's still all civil.

I do like it when I am proved wrong :D

19. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

You haven't got to 20 posts yet :D

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

We have now :D