Why do people mock boxers?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Hades, May 19, 2005.

1. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

People mock boxers because boxing doesn't look like what they've been taught and because no boxer ever did well in a kung fu movie.

I regularly mock boxers, calling them wimps for only using their fists and not they're obviously more dangerous elbows. Actually, that'd be a great sport: Boxing with elbows. Rose, you're a genius! Like a half-way point between Muay Thai and boxing, it's brilliant. Plus, it would spice things up in the boxing heavyweight divisions that are so boring :-\

But yeah, boxers are totally wimps. Anyone who doesn't elbow the crap out of someone else is a coward. Totally.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

actually boxing has elbows. it's just illegal in the ring.

3. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Lmao shootodog...

and you're right... when throwing a hook, it's not very hard to pull back the fist a little and hit the blighter with your elbow... or am i now living up to a stereotype about being thuggish and all :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2005
  4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

in the "boxing as self defense" class that i took, the trainer taught us how to throw elbows as part of the combos. add to that them little headbutts, knees to the lower part of the body, and footstomps in the clinch. boxers in the ring also use them but not so obviously. i mean, they are illegal after all.

5. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

I think boxing's history has a bit to do with it as well. Historically, it's a sport for the lower classes. Rich waspy types would bet on which poor Irish or Italian fighter would remain standing. Today's fighters often come from poor economic backgrounds as well. Boxing was one of the few things a poor man could do to lift himself up, but no matter how good a fighter he was, his main function was still to entertain those more fortunate than him. So, since boxing was (and is) a sport of the poor, many people don't think there is any nobility or intelligence in it. For example, compare boxing's reputation to that of fencing, which was a sport practiced by the elite. No one would assume a fencer was a "brute", but the same assumption is made about boxers all the time.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Not forgetting the Headbutts! :) Some boxers are a little less subtle than others...

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I was under the impression that boxing was a direct outreach of fencing. The "gentlemanly art" and all that. That boxing had evolved out of a need to settle affairs of honour without having half your young noblemen run through with swords.

Could be mistaken though.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I think it started that way in modern times, but became what it is today when the bluebloods got bored and/or hurt. Miss Ho is correct that modern era boxing, especially in the last century or so, has been about the poor guy willing to get his head knocked in for a few bucks and a dream of fame.

9. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

Like BKG said it was that way in England in the 1800's, but by the time it made it to America in the early 1900's, it was no longer a sport of the nobility. It'd be nice if someone out there had a Class and Boxing History article for us to read. Race and how it relates to modern day boxing is also pretty interesting. Check out the story of Jack Johnson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4284222

10. FastLegs

FastLegs New Member

Are all people who mock boxing martial artists? You have called karate and taekwondo "real" "martial art" and boxing is real martial art? What have you done? You have reached the same level as the ones who mock boxing. I know more people who are self-centered idiots and practice kickboxing than any other martial art. Those who mock any martial art, have not maybe ever tried any martial art. I practice taekwondo and almost every day at school some idiot comes to me and "challenges" me to a fight or they are "gonna put me in a package". This happens to all martial artist.

I did not mock kickboxing. Few of my friends practiced that. But it does pull idiots in as a "very cool" martial art.

11. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Fastlegs, you get people who mock other arts in every style there is and I really don't think practitioners of any one style are any worse than others for this. TKD guys get accused of being overly flashy, kung fu guys are accused of being airy fairy, boxers are accused of being too limited, kickboxers are accused of being just sportsmen, etc... it's no worse with whatever style you care to mention.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  12. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

or it could be this

I personally love boxing, but when I'm sparring without any gloves on and my boxer friend is, I honestly can't help but laugh at him when his groin/butt cheek gets a little itchy. Get the picture?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  13. soon

soon New Member

Mocking boxing is a shame. The boxer has a handful of moves, three punches with each hand. Most other MA's have loads of different moves, some you practise for a night then forget for ages. The boxer, once he/she has mastered these few punches can then spend every session working on perfecting footwork, speed, power and fitness. Take a boxer who has trained for a year, and another MAist that has trained for a year. The MAist has lots of different techniques at a basic level, but a pretty good foundation. The boxer has spent 12 months learning how to drill a hand through your kidneys or face and little else.

As a Martial Art, boxing is devestating.