Why do people mock boxers?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Hades, May 19, 2005.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

nice post timmy boy.

my thoughts exactly.

on a different note. people will make fun of you no matter what you do.

example in my life.
    boxer....already covered
    football player (im american).... so same as boxer, brute,animal, bashed in head.

wrestler...homo rolling with dudes in tights

was in army....dumb ass
    was army ranger...rambo wantabe
    airbore...crazy

waiter...loser
    college...arogant <removed> who knows it all, silver spoon in mouth
    doctor....money grubing arogant <removed> whdoent know near as much as the herbalist

martial artist.....followed around by people doing a bad bruce lee imitation and dubing ther voices

hunting....some people think ted bundy is more humane and ethical

weightlifting....anything from roids to compensating for a little weener

so by and large people will always make fun. i am glad they do..so i know who NOT to care about or hang around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2005
  2. smoothnfresh86

smoothnfresh86 New Member

mass ignorance

well....im not really into boxin yet but i really want to learn....for now i only know the basics, and i watch boxing every now and then....so i guess i can really tell u wat kind of unfair/untrue ideas i may have about boxing and why....

1. boxing is not a real martial art
    the fact that most ppl who kno boxing, get all their knowledge from tv might be the cause for this. Boxing has been commercialized...and when anything is commercialized it starts to get distorted and ppl forget its essence (i.e. rap, boxing, breakdancing, etc.). Besides that, boxing seems really limited as opposed to say....the other martial arts u see in movies. And im not even convinced its not. The other day i asked a friend why he didnt wanna learn boxing and he said because in a real fight he relies on KOing his opponent ASAP...which led me to believe some ppl believe that on the streets, if they use boxing, theyll hafta go 12 rounds wit the average thug. Besides this, wat if someone gets u on the floor....or even worse, wat if they know some form of martial arts using pressure points, submission, or other flashy stuff which a boxer wont expect or be trained to defend against? boxing seems limited in alot of ways so of course some ppl will be skeptical to its efficiency against other forms of martial arts.

2 boxers have busted faces, broken noses, brain damage, etc....
    Im no doctor....but getting hit in the face more than the average man must have some sort of consequence. I kno that if u get a face bone broken, it might be noticably out of place after it heals.....and im not sure but im guessing that enough KOs might kill some brain cells....not alot im sure but im guessin a not so serious KO might be equal to a night or 2 of heavy drinking?

3. boxers are violent beasts
    this comes from wat boxing looks like i think.....2 boxers fighting to the untrained eye look like 2 ppl who have learned how to brawl effectively. So its not surprising some ppl associate a boxers style with a street thugs style. The form is similar to how most ppl who dont kno how to fight also fight (to the untrained eye). its not graceful like tai chi or anything mysterious like that, And its a brutal sport/ art period. Theres no flashy counter attacks or quick one hit kills....its jus round after round of poundin ur opponents face and body, hoping to knock him out.

i guess in the end it all comes down to you as a boxer. If you box for the attention and fame and money. then expect to be disrespected and looked down upon by a portion of those who watch you. If you box for the feeling of strength, accomplishment, and confidence...then u wont even be concerned by wat other ppl think about it.

3. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

IMO boxing is all about agression, and how to control that... In a streetfight, if you can focus your rage onto that average thug... he's done for... but it doesn't make us beasts:p

well it all comes down to the ignorance of people, and the fact that a lot of people try to cover up their own insecurities by taking it on other people..

:D

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

That's it right there if you ask me :) It's the naivety of the uninformed.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Let me list the reasons people mock Boxers.

1. They suck at fighting, and couldn't do it to save their life.
    2. They don't have compettitive ability.
    3. They're losers.
    4. They think fighting is primitive, but don't see the complexity of it all.
    5. They never watched a full match in their life.
    6. They never win anything.

There's probably more.

6. Jujitm

Jujitm New Member

Simple answer

It's because they are VVEEERRRRYYYYY....... stupid :D don't worry about it just wait till natural selection sets in :woo:

7. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Korpy, I can only pray that you quit this forum, and get the hell out, because you have just about ruined your reputation around here.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hmmmm.... I THINK Korpy has been misunderstoof here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Korpy - your list is targetted at people who mock boxers - right? Not at boxers?

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I read Korpmeister's post a while back and thought the same thing... couldn't believe it... so I read it again.... it's badly worded to say the least.. but I believe the K-man is talking about people who mock boxers... not boxers themselves. :D

10. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

I think - and hope - that this is targeted at the people who mock as well.

11. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Nah, i think that Korpy is saying that boxers suck etc, cause they are all wimps that wouldnt be able to fight thier way out of a paper bag, boxing! Wouldnt catch me anywhere near the stuff, its a girlie sport for wannabes. ;)

12. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Stan, I can only pray that you quit this forum, and get the hell out, because you have just about ruined your reputation around here.

:D :rolleyes:

13. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Dude, you need to get a good rep before you can ruin it, and I certainly dont have one of those!! :D

14. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

I hope your right

15. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

It's not poorly worded at all. He's obviously listing characteristics of people who mock boxing.

16. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Well I understood it straight away, but I can see how it could be misintepreted, if you're not as intelligent as me.

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I presume he is talking about those whom mock boxers; after all - he does hang around in the boxing section from time to time! - not something you'd expect from someone who thinks boxers can't fight! :D

18. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Non Martial Artists seem to think they have some innate fighting ability that means they can beat someone who actually practises a martial art. "Its no good on the street" is a common battlecry. Ignore them.

Martial Artists putting down boxing? Don't understand that. The vast majority of martial artists would be annihilated by a boxer of similar weight and experience. Purely on fitness alone they wouldn't last long, but a boxer is in the ring giving and recieving blows - something most martial artists never do. Again this is the call of the armchair warrior - they kick and punch thier way up and down a hall thus they can dispatch a mere boxer who is in the ring sparring. Ignore them.

I would imagine a boxer of similar weight could plow through me, lucky for me I don't have an ego to get bruised.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Agreed. Come on gang. I've had my goes at Korpy. But this one was pretty clear.

"They never watched a full match in their life."

How's that going to apply to a boxer?!

Stuart

20. smoothnfresh86

smoothnfresh86 New Member

wth (what the hell!)....of course hes talkin bout ppl who are mockin boxers....dont be silly......i think theres a center of enlightenment about fightin that we are all tryin to reach.....the ppl farthest from it are the ppl who dont understand fightin at all....those are the ppl most likely to criticize....yet the closer u get to the center...the less you criticize....like ppl who fight on the street and enjoy boxing....then theres the martial artists who can respect any art of fightin and kno not to criticize...thats most of us i guess.....lets see wat happens when we step closer :Alien:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2005