Why do people discriminate against disabled martial artists?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Hapuka, Sep 7, 2011.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That point should be determined at the discretion of the instructor/owner/Master. Either decision, whether he thinks that having someone ( whether they are disabled or not ) under his tuteledge serves his purposes - whatever they may be - should be his or her call.

Thats the ideal.

The problem is the large, grey area where you have a somewhat dodgy to begin with instructor who, for whatever reason, agrees to have a person with a disability that really requires instructors who, even if they don't understand the ramifications of a particular disorder, at least they've the heart to want to teach.

So he lets someone with a fairly significant disability in and, instead of informing the disabled person that he made an honest mistake and they need to reasses things, he keeps the individual on and lets his dog-pack have a go at the poor soul from time to time - for amusement or indifference. It didn't start out that way or by intent of the instructor, but deteriorates into the sad scene because that is often the way people behave in the dog-pack.

Of course, people will leave after some point, but its left its effects - just like it did in the school yard - which is probably why the poor fellow or girl went there to train to begin with.

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I used to train with someone who had an artificial leg - he was 'interesting' to spar with as occasionally I would forget about the artificial leg and go for a low kick OUCH!!!! Didn't hurt him one bit :)

I've trained with a variety of 'differently abled' people over the years some good some not so good - just like anyone else in other words...

I have very few heroes but one of my heroes is Ted Vollerath who I had the honour of seeing at the Royal Albert Hall (Early 80's if memory serves) - His Karate was AWESOME...

and finally - I have been lucky at the clubs I have trained at I have only ever seen positive attitudes to 'differently abled' people.

NOTE: I am NOT PC at all but I do like the term 'differently abled' rather than 'disabled' since who isn't 'disabled' in some way - I need glasses, am a bit deaf and currently because of injury am walking with a limp - and pain :( - Am I 'disabled' NOT ONE BIT - but differently abled...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011