Why did you start training in Taekwondo?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kmorrisonnyc, Nov 16, 2014.

1. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

Note: I did a quick search but didn't see it in the results, feel free to merge if I missed it.

I was talking with another student at class recently and we got round to why I started training in Taekwondo - and then why I stopped and re-started and it got me thinking about the many reasons people train.

In my case I'd always been a fan of Bruce Lee but my dad didn't want me training until I was old enough to understand the consequences of what I was learning. He'd teach me in the garage from about 7 years old but my first class wasn't until I was 1 month shy of my 12th birthday. I mainly wanted was intrigued by the martial arts and by that time I'd started to go through a rough time at school (bullying) so was just the perfect timing for me. My dad had trained at the local Taekwondo school in the past so that's why we chose Taekwondo versus Shotokan or Judo.

As to why I stopped and started, stopping was driven by injury, relocation (Scotland>Zakynthos>Thessaloniki>New York > London > Santa Monica > Palm Springs) and pure laziness. Started again because a) I missed it and b) I now have a family and weight was spiraling out of control along with my ability to protect them.

Interested to hear your stories.

Thanks!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I too started because of Bruce Lee and at 16 years old my mate Vince and I found a local TKD school.

A male Korean instructor and his British wife. Damn good they were too.

I only did a couple of months because I found Kung Fu suited me better.

My lasting memory is a rather large blue belt sparring the female instructor.
    He was getting more and more aggressive and jumped up in the air and I was sure he was going to come down with an elbow on her head.

She leant back on her rear leg and delivered a side kick to his chest.

Sure taught him a lesson.

Always had a respect for the kicking ability of TKD since then. I never stayed to see the empty hands side of the art.

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Started my M.A. because I saw/heard about Bruce Lee and Joon Rhee ads for traing on the local Saturday morning cartoons. Took classes at my local community college when I was 18. Shotokan as a free after school class and Tang So Do as a paid p.e. credit.

Stopped the Shotokan to take private Kung Fu lessons for a year.

No structured training for several years but lots of self defense stuff as a L.E.O.

Started back training when my son invited me to join him in his TKD training. Did that until 6 years ago. School changed owners and I was recovering from surgery. Back now and just promoted to Red belt 2nd Kup.

4. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

For me, it's the most varied and fun martial arts style. Boxing is too one dimensional, while Karate schools are truly good for discipline, but less entertaining. Not as much flashy moves to practise next to more applicable stuff.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was a little brat so my folks stuck my 4-year old ass in TKD classes to burn off some energy.

6. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I was abandoned by my family at the age of fourteen, I was adopted by a martial arts instructor, although I was suffering from a deep wound I found that Karate gave me the ability to focus my thoughts and calm my emotions.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Why I started martial arts is a complicated one. Why I started taekwondo is relatively simple. It was the local "karate school." End of story really.

Not that I have any regrets. I've always been grateful for the foundational stuff I learned in taekwondo, even if I moved away from it pretty thoroughly after about 5 years.

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Ooops! I really Should stop scan reading!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  9. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

I remember attributing kicking to be the highest degree of difficulty in martial arts techniques and was always amazed at this ability some people had.

This challenge further motivated my choice of Taekwondo.

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I was impressed by the instructor and the school was close. After I studied under him for a bit, I realized what an amazing person he is and how lucky I was to have such a good instructor. 20 years later, I am still with him.

11. bud00

bud00 New Member

I've started in high school, for 3 years, to build my self confidence. After high school I've stopped training because of work and more studying. And now I'm back after 17 years to finish my second blue belt in WTF.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Good for you! I had 10 years or so off, but am now at 3rd Dan and teaching my own club. Keep going and enjoy your training :)

Welcome to MAP :)

Mitch

13. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

I dabbled in karate when I was in my 20's, only for a couple of gradings before having to stop due to buying a house and lack of funds. Fast forward time 15+ years and when my son was born I wanted him when growing up to study a MA to look after himself so when last October 2013 at age 5 he told me one of his school friends was starting TKD at a local class and he wanted to give it go we took him along. I managed 4 months of standing outside watching him before I gave in. :) Next week for the first time we'll be grading together, looking forward to that, being a dad and son thing.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

There wasn't much to do in Swindon in the early 90s.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

As opposed to now.

I found a Swindon website that said this:

So alcohol and trees.

Go Swindon. :)

16. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Alcohol and tress pretty much sums up my childhood, I see no problems there lol

17. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Was out of the game for nearly 20 yrs. Off and on agian kind of thing.
    My wife wanted the kids to train a MA so we put them in tkd mostly because of the convenient location. My oldest son asked me why mom and I don't do it. The next week the entire family was in tkd. Several years later only my 2 youngest still do tkd but we all still train and spar together

18. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

WTF TKD was on the PE classes on my 3rd year of high school, and I didn't want to look like a dork when that happened, so I took TKD classes beforehand.

Continued on for two years until I got mugged.

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I was going to say something funny, but thought screw it. I'm off to the park with a bottle of White Lightning .

20. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

It's quite interesting how many of us have stopped and re-started again at some point. Not sure about anyone else but looking back I definitely regret stopping when I did.

I think we've all got excuses as to why we stopped - injuries, money, kids - but the reality is I wish I'd at least continued performing my patterns for the small amount of time it would have taken each day - wouldn't have cost a penny.

Anyway, I'm delighted to be back training now and I absolutely love it, even with all the extra pounds and reduced flexibility!