Why did you choose Boxing??

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Hades, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

It's really quiet in this section lately, so here's another question for ya'll

Why did you choose boxing? Not why you picked MA, why did you specifically choose boxing??

let's hear it!!

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

The conditioning required, both mental and physical. It's an art thats been proven to work time and time again...

3. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

Had to be done.Every boxer I know can handle any trouble in the street with a swift little jab,no mess,no fuss.It also occured to me that if the avarage boxer hit the avarage man on the street he'd make quite a mess and yet two big heavyweights can go hammer and tongs at each other for 12 rounds and still be on their feet.It must then be possible to condition your head so as to be able to take a blow,albeit with gloves on.In an un-provoked attack on the street chances are you ain't going to see it coming therfore being able to take a slap has got to be of priority importance,no good being able to high kick them to death if your sparked out on the floor.Really want a great six pack,I know its a bit posy but I havent had one before.

4. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

if you watch alot of MMA they are using boxing anyway, even rugby players use it for fitness and conditioning, again one of the reasons why bruce used it

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Boxing is classic. In all senses of the word. A culture unto itself.

Boxers usually have conditioning so insanely far above people in most other MA's. Boxing is about as down to basics as you can get.

No mystical theory's, no bearded masters with Chi blasts... just zip the lip, put your gloves on and show just where you at. Simple.

People often will wind up Kung Fu people or TKD people... you don't see people winding up boxers... LOL! It's got less than desirable consequences. :D

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I chose boxing because there was no MT school near by :p

But I think it is an amazing alternative. I love the general levels of fitness boxers possess. I went into my 1st class thinking I was in shape, boy was I wrong.

I love how simple it is. Nothing flashy. And we all know simple wins in fights.

Oh, and the ring girls :D

7. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Acctually...

Now that I think back

THIS is the real reason I started boxing :D

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

[​IMG]

I mean, what other reason is there for letting some guy punch you in the face for ten rounds?

9. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

How about I give you a bit of the reverse. I can box, but badly (my muay thai is focused on kicks, knees and elbows to the exclusion of punching outside of setting up combos into my other tools).

The reason? Vanity. I dont want to beef up my arms like some scary prison inmate, I prefer my feminine arms quite well :D My legs, I dont care so much.

Well, that's one small reason. The other is that I've just never been very good at boxing, it took me a lot longer to grasp the basics of than kicking or elbowing or clinching so I just don't work it as much as I should.

Maybe if I got a cute little Dutch man named Ramon to teach my boxing applications in Muay Thai I'd get better ;) Just like I'd like a little Japanese man named Genki improve my grappling... *drools over their fight. So much hotness in the ring at once*

To be honest, I have been making an effort to improve my boxing, because I recently found a boxing gym close to my home that has better equipment than my basement and the coach lets me drop in on their open hours. Some of the guys there have been improving my game. I think because it gives them an excuse to touch a woman while participating in their testosterone-crazed carnage-fest.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Classic! :D

11. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Because i wanted to be hard...simple.
    The fitness came into it too.

12. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

for me it was because I always felt kinda like a wussy..

and boxing always looked tough and hard...

13. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

I started boxing at age 11 because I was always getting into fights with kids in my neighborhood. My dad signed me up for boxing because he wanted me to fight, but in a more controlled atmosphere ( not all-out brawling). I learned discipline and gained self confidence. I LOVE to fight, but now it's just for competition and not trying to beat the crap out of somebody.

I joined kickboxing at age 16 because it provided more of a challenge than boxing. I am now 22, and am dedicated to kickboxing. I compete as often as I can as well as being a kickboxing instructor for the past 2 years now.

BOXING AND KICKBOXING RULE!!!

TNT Tommy

14. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

wanted to be fit and hard, make sure nobody messed and people could see the difference :D

15. smoothnfresh86

smoothnfresh86 New Member

well....im actually goin to a boxing gym tonight to sign up :).....the reason why? I like to fight....on the streets, in the ring whereva......jus now as Im growing I wanna concentrate that passion into something positive

16. Ron Thomp

Ron Thomp New Member

Hajime no Ippo! :D :D :D

17. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

and what does that mean? :D

18. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

Boxing choose me:)

19. NakMuay

NakMuay New Member

I started boxing because it is very similar to real fights; the first thing someone does in a fight (at least, very often) is throw a punch to the face right? so i chose it for practicality. And secondly for the fitness side.

20. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

I started boxing as it was a family thing (my dad, uncle, grandad) did it and it is in the blood, but I wanted a different challenge and went to Thaiboxing. But I still love and rate thaiboxing as one of the best fighting systems simple, straight to the point and most important effective.