Why cant i stretch my hamstring anymore?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Rhizome, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Hey all, for some reason for around a year now i cant stretch my left hamstring. Its not like ive had an injury at all or that it causes any pain when walking etc.

But leg raises to the left side can make it feel like its ripping. Same goes for when i statically stretch it, instead of stretching like normal it feels like its ripping.

Got to be some way i can get over this, been around a year now at least.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

initially, i would suggest three things: first, get checked by a doctor (sports physicial or traumatologist, i'd say). then, if allowed/told to, and money willing, get deep tissue massage, preferably multiple times, and then if possible, start doing isometric stretching.

what do you mean when you say it feels like it's ripping? that would technically leave you on the ground, writhing in pain, if taken literally. if so, goto doctor, pronto!

3. Rhizome

Thanks for the advice, im in the process of looking for a deep tissue massagist because i have chronic IT band syndrome problems, i want to be able to kick without pain once and for all so am going all out to rectify these problems this time.

I can stretch the higher portion of the hamstring that leads up to the glutes no problem, its the lower half near the inner side. A couple of times ive tried to stretch through it but you feel what feels like a mild tear and that leaves some mild pain. So i dont really want to push it.

Leg raises to the side with that leg gives the same issue.

Cheers again, its so hard to find a physio who has a clue and isnt just a fancy name and fancy office. Ive went to numerous and paid 20 quid a session only to still be sitting in pain(although this was for IT band syndrome).

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

look for doctors who treat rugby players. they'll be much more clued up on what you'll need.

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Second this.

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Reluctant to give advise but it the doc/pysio allows it a good foam roll may help. Sounds like there is some really poor quality soft tissue/scar tissue.

Doc, pysio/deep massage then foam roller.

7. Rhizome

Cheers for the posts guys.

Going to try get referred to an NHS physio first as wasting 20 odd quid per session with no results like the past physios ive been too doesn't really appeal to me. No matter how many degrees and diplomas they say they have lol.

I have a foam roller but cant really seem to get it to work on the hamstring.

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Maybe try a tennis ball or a PVC pipe