Why all the debating?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by g-bells, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Bruce Lee would be turning in his grave if he knew everyone was arguing over what is and what isnt JKD

2. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Before he took off for Hong Kong Lee was writing articles and responding to letters by those debating him and his art. In Hong Kong, he met with the same debates on a daily basis. Had he lived, he would have had to answer his hecklers to this very day. He and his art were headed for the spotlight, not a vacuum.

The problem in JKD is all this "logic in a vacuum" - what anyone thinks things are, rather than what is sound as defined by the art's reality based principles.

Too many, "research" more like some small child playing hide. It will sit there under a table in plain site, believeing all along that because its precious little hands held up to its just as precious little face keeps it from seeing others, it cannot be seen by them as well. Its precious little logic all its own.

The prblem in JKD - logic in a vacuum - unquestioningly sucking in whatever enters the mind -"what I think," rather than "what is" - rather than what reality demands.

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

not just here but in any discussion on jkd you throw your so called 2cents as if you know what the hell your talking about and obviously you don't also you throw out diet advice, what qualifies you to do so? you go to school for that or is it Yohan's medical advice as he sees fit?

to be clear i train under a certified Ted Wong instructor, who spent more personal training time with the man than anyone so i pretty sure the info i'm receiving is fairly correct

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I find irony so terribly funny that I'm tempted to let this thread turn into the most heated debate on MAP. However, as it stands, I have a job to do.

Clearly tempers are flairing a bit. So far, I don't see anything that's so out of line to warrant anything more than a friendly warning: keep it civil, or this thread will be added to the many other locked threads on the JKD forum.

Debate is good. A free exchange of ideas is good. That's what an open forum is for. If you disagree with someone, you'll have to learn to live with their POV as long as you're on an open forum, where anyone can share their oppinion. Or, put them on your "ignore" list; there's always that. But as long as it doesn't violate the TOS, anyone on here is permitted to have any oppinion they desire, and to share it.

That's all. If anyone needs me I'll be in the back...

5. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

what i actually said was:

I would also like to add it is a common assumption that in "concepts" anyone is taught only parts of certain martial arts.

I take several martial arts. I feel that without trying a lot of different approaches to combat you limit yourself. 'jkd' included. So i don't make a hybrid art that is good for me intentionally. I just happen to excel at certain things and those things find their way into my fight.

I want to make a point about the definition of efficiency. For instance, when I spar a guy who does JFJKD only. The most 'efficient' way to beat him is to take his SDA, put him on the ground, and twist him like a pretzel. It seems like a long route, but it's the best route with a guy who can only fight on his feet.

see my point?

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I don't agree with this wording...I would also like to add it

This is what people are doing to JKD. The concept of adding is not Jeet Kune Do. This might work for other arts, but not Jeet Kune Do. Its seems that people are truly missing the meaning of the four logo plaques of Jeet Kune Do. Some only seem to be looking at the top plaque, losing site of the three process needed.

I'll end with something I wrote and its on myspace page.

""When The Obsession With The End Result Becomes Greater Than The Path, Make Your Own Mind Up Why Things Are The Way They Are"....by Sifu John McNabney"

Have A Great Holiday Season! I*_*I

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

well stated Simplicity.

8. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

No one's questioning anyone's right to their opinion. At least they shouldn't be.

9. JeetKuneDero

Then you're not facing a true "JFJKD guy," you're facing that myth regarding what a JFJKD guy really is. I don't mean the well known JFGF/JKD Concepts mantra, but the lesser known true JFJKD guy's art - formless form and JFJKD's actual way to that.

Again, I merely point this out as something to consider.

10. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

I would like to see it in real life. Maybe in a ring. Or is it too deadly for the ring? :p

i kid of course.

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

no i'm not questioning his oppinion, he is entitled to his and like i said,, if it works for him then thats all that matters for him but the constant misleading is what is destroying it

12. JeetKuneDero

Give it time, you will. Think about it; who has trained it in the way and to the extent it's founder did? It was a fighting art, a true warrior art and thus extremely high maintenance - extremely high maintenance. Someone like that would easily adapt to sport. Lee supposedly could easily go back and forth between both world's (play-sport/reality) during his encounters with others highly skilled. That was from his extremley high physical maintenance/core principles. Who has done both since? No one known thus far. All most do is cahnge this here, tweak that there. Terri Tom was absolutely right. You watch.

13. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

People who go back and forth from sport and street? Just off the top of my head:

Bas Rutten
    Dog Brothers
    Mark Hatmaker
    Jack Dempsey
    George Hackenschmidt
    Martin "Farmer" Burns
    Matt Thornton
    Geoff Thompson
    probably neumerous old-school Judoka and Karateka

probably lots of others I don't know about...

Edit: DaeHanL, looked like you didn't want either of those posts in; let me know if I've made an error.

14. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

no you have done me a favor. thanks dude

btw csf your quote is hilarious.

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to you for whatever I said that has ruffled your feathers.

I'm sorry.

16. JeetKuneDero

Good list, but I meant a real JFJKD (Original) person - able to take on the likes of a BJ Penn, for example. Not what JFJKD has been labled (stuck in the past, limited to stand up, etc.) What that art's principles allow - that "able to meet all lines without being familiar with them" thing, and all that.

Take some of the people (on your list) who broke away from Concepts for a more "Functional/Alive JKD"for example. Part of what they did was to put some things (principles) back in which Concepts took out. It was so "lost" that it appeared to be some new discovery. The reality was/is the original art/and it's founder had/has that.

17. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i don't think Bruce was the first and last to make that discovery. i just think he's the most worshiped.

18. JeetKuneDero

Given that UFC type opening scene of ETD was years and years before UFC even came into being, let alone figured things out, as lame as that scene was, given that it was rushed (last minute), its no wonder the guy is the most well known/worshipped on this. So, yeah. Still, I doubt that "hero worship" applies to some on here, who are after something a bit more concrete.

19. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

No need to, we had a heated discussion and nothing more than that bro!!!:cool:

20. JeetKuneDero

Time to pick on someone else - for levity's sake :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgn2sNgvMjw&NR=1"]YouTube - Jeet Kune Do Fight School 1[/ame]