Why all the debating?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by g-bells, Dec 3, 2008.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Why is it that there are/is so many arguements/debates as to what JKD is and what it is not? Given the chance to train with anyone with direct lineage to BL himself why would'nt you jump at the possibilty.Once you got the foundation down it's up to you as an individual to take it from there. Any knowledge is good knowledge as long as you apply it,test it, and make your "own" judgement from there.

What does **** me off is those who say they do JKD but contradict the core by implementing things that go directly against principles already established.

sorry for the rant.........but woooo feel better now:)

2. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

It's good to let it out. Wooosaah!

3. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i would gladly learn from most reputable instructor, as long as i could stay true to my own goals as a martial artist. i am sick of the jkd is 'this' or 'that' stuff. Every time a noob brings it up again, i actually consider abandoning the jkd forum altogether.

-so i feel your pain.

what do you mean by contradict the core?

4. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I hear ya! :bang: LOL, that "FELT" better. Well G, maybe I'll see ya at my seminar in APRIL. :cool:

Keep "IT" Real,
    John McNabney

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

sorry , what i mean is they use techniques that have'nt been tested and go against simplicity,directness and economy of motion

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

John,
    I'm going to try and save up would love the opportunity!!!!

7. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

so no jumping-spinning-heel kicks? lol

8. corwin137

corwin137 Valued Member

Mmm... principles.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There's the problem. Without being able to reach a consensus on what the overarching principles are, you're going to get debate regarding who's adhering to them and who isn't.

All well and good saying "economy of motion." But who finds what motion to be economic quickly introduces room for debate. I can't tell you that a sapu foot drag from silat isn't economic. For me, it isn't, because I suck at it. But for someone else, it might be perfectly economical.

Stuart

10. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

I hate the foot drag thing. I too am not good at it. I prefer to keep hitting! =)

11. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i don't like the silhig(bisset) or the sapu. Me likey hip throw.

12. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

spinning kicks..only to impress the girls...lol

me likey finger jab-groin kick-then put them into a new zip code:evil:

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think the main reason there are lots of debates is because we are on an online forum.

And no I would not necessarily jump at the chance to train with anyone with a direct lineage to Bruce Lee because what some of the guys teach isn't really what I'm interested in.

14. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

How could you know what or how they teach unless you experience it first hand? By already claiming you know what you need are'nt you limiting yourself and your ability to grow as an MA?

Are you a master of what you do? if not, then how can someone with knowledge of the "art" not help you in some way or another?

15. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

This is REALLY going to get a reaction..BUT Joe lewis who trained with Bruce Lee said (in fighting arts international) that a lot of the students taught by Bruce Lee got their asses handed to them in competition.

He went on to say that Bruce Lee could make it work but he was exceptional. So Yohan deciding that he himself knows what works for him and what he hopes to achieve in further traing makes sense to me.

regards koyo

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think you are misinterpreting what I said. I said they aren't teaching anything I'm interested in learning. It's not about what I need, it's what I enjoy doing.

Not hardly - I'm just not in to training the way some of the JKD guys train.

17. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

cool. that doesn't actually come as a surprise to me about a lot of his students. In most cases i see the attributes that they are honing and training to not be their own. people have a hard time being honest with themselves especially when it comes to self-expression. kinda like how most people can draw something by copying it, but can't just create art from scratch. it's a skill.

Yohan I think you have the right idea, but i still learn other things just to have them in my toolbox. Even if i'll 'never' use them. like the sapu referred to earlier, lol.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

that may be the case but when lewis started working with BL it put him on another level and he dominated competitions from there on!!

Yohan- do as you see fit but if your picking and choosing what principles of jkd you choose to do then your not doing jkd

19. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

there's that 'not jkd' stuff again. lol

I don't think he ever said he was picking and choosing principles. Only that he thinks some instructors have nothing to offer him and his goals.

20. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Competitions= rule sets. I wouldn't be doing JKD. No, I am not trying to say JKD is for the Leet Streets and all that jazz. What I am saying is that my toolset will be limited by rules thus putting me at a disadvantage.