Wht material is appropreate for yellow belt?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by selfdefensepath, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Hey now. I don't dictate to you how to spend your free time you know.

2. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

SDP's

Attached Files:

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There are plenty of jujutsu syllabuses on-line.
    A few years back I was organising the stuff I do in various classes and was curious how other clubs structured their techniques.
    Just copy and paste one of them.
    Some are great while some are terrible but if all you want is a list then just pick one.

But by definition if you copy some othe places structure it's not really YOUR system is it?
    And if you personally haven't trained and graded through that structure it's even less your system?

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Was I criticising?

Incidentally if she's got any spare pompoms about, you know where to find me.

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got 10 USD that this is Epitome, circumventing a ban with another account.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Lou? That you?

7. cjsmap

cjsmap New Member

Hey selfdefensepath,

Would you seriously want to teach/promote 'your' system with yellow belt knowledge?? In your MA stand up experience would you seriously be willing to pay someone, or invest time with a teach who had pulled together a list of yellow belt material??

You can't call it 'your' system unless you OWN the material and have it NAILED. Even the high percentage techniques will be no use unless you really want to get spend the time mastering them under a proficient teacher with decent training partners, and it does not sound like you are willing to do that.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Google the Gracie Acadamy Online. Then leave this place, and never come back.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Even Count Dante disapproves.

[​IMG]

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If you're looking to include some basic grappling in any system, you need to drill that basic grappling until you're really good at it. Otherwise you have no idea of the subtleties of how to effectively apply the techniques. As an example, yesterday I was teaching a shoulder throw to my class. At several points during such a technique it is vital to ensure that many individual parts of the throw come together effectively. For example, you need to get the draw right, adjust your height to an appropriate level, turn in just enough, thrust the hips out the right amount, rotate and turn enough to throw but not so much that your own balance is lost, etc.

This technique alone can take a very long time to get good at, and it's just one useful technique out of tens of core techniques and hundreds (if not thousands) of variations on a theme.

Throwing, locking and groundfighting is the main focus of several arts precisely because it takes a long time to get good at them, and incorporating them into a new system without learning them in the first place is watering down the efficiency of those techniques to the point where you're almost deliberately endangering the life of any student who a) trains with you or b) has to use the grappling you teach in a real situation.

It's not safe to learn throwing and locking from an unqualified teacher, and it's certainly not going to be safe to try to apply the teachings of an unqualified teacher in a real life situation.

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

[​IMG]

this means if you were competent enough to develop a style, you really dont need these map guys.

12. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Jesus bloody flipping Christ, I've just read this thread, and either this guy has such a uninteresting and unspectacular life that he feels the urge to come troll a MA forum, or he is serious and lacks the intellect to type out coherent sentences and cannot seem to understand basic logic.

Seriously, go train in something. If you are such a skilled stand up striker as you claim to be, you should understand that even something as basic as a jab is hard to use with good technique. If you only trained for like a week on the jab, and declared yourself a winner, you'd be missing a lot, and probably still making a lot of mistakes.

Same thing applies for grappling, especially grappling, where (in my limited experience) requires a lot more fine attention and rigorous practice to utilize techniques like throws and locks in the chaotic situation that is combat. Some instructional manual or a few months of practice barely equates to good use of technique in combat, let alone passing on information.

Oh, and fix your damn spelling. It looks like some animal just humped the keyboard while having a seizure and pressed "post".

13. selfdefensepath

selfdefensepath Banned Banned

This post is an effort to clear up my original post at the top of the thread. Heres the thing I was MMA when MMA wasnt cool, LOL if you get that. I wanted to build my own system in response to several things going on inmy life and in my country and my vision of doing this was very clear, honest, and innocent. Recently I experienced two nearly back to back home invasions and the first one I didnt even own a gun, my wife and I also had our first daughter (Sloan Maelyn) last september and the fact is who hasnt heard of the obesity epidemic looming over our country. All those things and then some prompted me to look for a martia art that would allow me get in shape, learn and polish new and old skills. Now sadly I have to report that I found nothing that fit my search, most styles I found were classical immatations and extremely costly (300 $ a month to train with at a ufc veterans school here in my city) Now all that said I soon began to realize that the new future of Martial Arts in America is nearly upon us, as our leadership in this country begins to struggle for an ansewer to our over weight problem, as crime rates and bullying rise and as college tuition rises as fast as gosoline we will so see a need for a solution that is not only time effective but also easy on the wallet. My system offers all that, Its a combat style art good for self defense, its cheap, it isnt full of overwelmingly difficult tests, it infasizes physical fitness through cross training and transferable skillz through exorcize. Now you can laugh but the fact is I plan on owning my own gym not a dojo, and your all invited to a free one month membrship lol. Its my legacy its my job its my duty. Someday we will all see this happening all over our country.

14. Dean Winchester

Does this new system include paragraphs and half decent spelling?

15. martialmartian

martialmartian Valued Member

Thread is very surreal now... will the revolution be televised? Who knows?

16. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

JUDO!

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It was called NHB back then. For the record.

If you own a firearm just keep attending training and get into competitive shooting. You'll be better prepared than most for defending your family and home.

How do you know it's good for self defense? If you have no practical experience with what you're claiming is good for self defense how will you know what works and what doesn't? Simply by reading a book and practicing a few moves with friends makes you no more ready for a life or death incident than practicing with a parachute on the ground makes you ready to jump out of the plane and go for it.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Crap troll is crap

19. selfdefensepath

selfdefensepath Banned Banned

I agree with the Judo comment but judo just isnt enough. It would be different if this were a tournament style system but its not, Its a combat selfdefense system. I do however like to point out that Judo is currently practiced by more people than any other sport in the world and may be a very good reason Japanese people arnt as over weight as we are, same with Kung fu in China. I just think that if you have a good head on your shoulders and at least ten years training theres no reason you cant be a gym owner or whatever you wanna call your MMA diggs. I wish I wouldnt have posted this thread and frankly the fact that we havent talked technique at all is pretty disturbing considering were 8 pages into a martialarts thread.

20. Dean Winchester

With regards to the op and waza well you do realise that Jujutsu isn't one system don't you?

That "yellow belt" is rather meaningless without it being within the context of a specific org or style?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.