Who's your favorite Brit Pop band?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shaolin_hendrix, Jan 4, 2008.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Mine's probably Suede. I know the Stone Roses were a little too early to be considered Brit Pop, and Franz Ferdinand were a little too late, but they're great too.

2. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Are Blur or the Charlatans UK considered Brit Pop? I like both. I also like the Lightning Seeds who were definitely British and VERY pop.

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Suede! Definitely Suede! Going to see Suede was my first gig, they were awesome!I do really like The Stone Roses/The Smiths but they are too early as you say.

I like earlier Pulp, dont like Different Class at all. Also like early Blur, really don't like them from Country House onwards really. Like The Charlatans a lot too.My sister met them once and had NO idea who they were!

And the most hardworking britpop band award goes to Shed 7, they seemed to support everyone I went to see in the 90s and have re formed again .They played at my uni and one of my friends got off with one of them :D

Oasis are also classic,again their early stuff,haven't listened to their last few albums.

Do The Verve count? Again ,the early stuff, in particular Storm in Heaven.I can't stand Urban Hymns at all.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

How do you define 'Brit Pop'? (Other than by what it rhymes with.) :confused:

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Cast were great, I also liked Spaced a lot. Also Ash, Suede, Shed 7, Divine Comedy.

Does anyone remember the Shine compilations? They were crucial to shaping my music taste when I was younger, I still listen to them often.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

:D :D :D

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I know of them but I didn't buy them as they usually had people I didn't like on them. Wasn't really keen on Spaced. I preferred The La's to cast.

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

S-Club 7!

Mmm Tina... :love: :D

9. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Oops, I meant space. Are we talking about the same band or were you getting confused as well :confused: :p

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's me being old Seany.I meant Space :D

And for those of you too old/too culturally inept (Chimp) here is a brief definition of it:

11. Chimpcheng

So, not S-Club 7 then? :confused:

I'd go for Pulp. Their album "Different Class" defined a generation. "Common People", "Disco 2000" and, erm, others, were nothing short of class. A different class in fact! Did you see what I did there? :D

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Meh Different Class was their poorest album,possibly because they had become mainstream by then! His and Hers was quality, who can forget the quality that was Lipgloss or "Do you remember the first time". Their earlier stuff was great too. IMO they kind of recovered for "This is Hardcore" but were generally meh from then on.

I saw them not long before they released Different Class, they were supported by Stereolab, who were also great- who could forget the jingly jangle of PingPong!

St Etienne, also a great band.

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Bah! I'm too old to know what all this is about.

I understood the refernce to The Beatles, but after that I was a bit lost! What was this 'early nineties Indie scene'? :confused:

14. Chimpcheng

Pulp were rubbish before "Different Class" and old Jarvis admitted as much on whatever the pre-cursor to T-4 was. It won the Mercury Music Prize and was voted the 37th greatest album of all time in Q and then again at 46 and 85, because Q readers are really fickle. :D

But I digress, greatest Brit Pop is "Dinosaur Jr", which is ironic as they're American! :D

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Shed 7, The Bluetones, Space.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

The La's kicked off Britpop in my view...

The La's (saw them live in '05!)
    Oasis
    Stone Roses
    Ocean Colour Scene
    The Smiths
    Kula Shaker
    The Verve
    Space
    Blur
    Supergrass

I'd say The Coral are the best and closest band to Britpop since '99.

17. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Oh yeh forgot supergrass.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think Supergrass were quite overrated (don't shoot me!) :D I found the more jangly bands a bit annoying through the 90s . (Again don't shoot me!) :D

19. Topher

Topher allo!

Noel Gallagher on writing Live Forever...

True brit!

:D

(The perils of quoting a Gallagher on a moderated form! :D )

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  20. Topher

Topher allo!

:woo:

:D