Who's up for it?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Taiji Butterfly, Jun 20, 2005.

?

Who's up for a Tai Chi/IMA meetup in South England?

1. Yes, I'm gagging for it

51.4%
  2. No, I've got better things to do

2.9%
  3. I might be if all my mates go...

20.0%
  4. I'd rather troll online and avoid human contact...

25.7%
  1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

From my abused brain and memory cortex I can recall the following.

Visage - showed some kicks maybe, I got there a bit late though so may have missed something.

TajiButerfly – showed us some nine circles chi gung.

Zendog – showed us some stuff to do with “Peng”, and a bear walking thing which we were doing when a sexy female instructor came in and looked at us a bit weird.

We all did some push hands type stuff after that if I remember correctly.

RobP and friend – showed us some lock escapes and manipulating the opponent(s) type stuff and some striking.

RobertMAP - showed us some cane techniques, canes kindly provided by Robert and TJB.

RobP and friend - showed us some knife defenses/disarms.

I showed how I can repeatedly fall on my ass… :)

I think that’s about it.. maybe.. :confused:

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yep she was sexy and you fell on your ****, that's about all i remember :D
    oh and those kids running around bashing eachother with big gloves - who else smelt the irony :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  3. middleway

middleway Valued Member

ha ha ha ....

Everyone looks at each other weird when doing that one!! ha ha ha

sounds like a good time guys ... would hope to make it next time.

Cheers
    Chris

4. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Lol, that was funny.... she probably thought it was an improv workshop or a support group for the local care in the community

cheers
    rob

5. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

What do you mean irony? What do you mean kids? I thought they were from the Wudang school... :rolleyes:

...they were weren't they...?? :D :D :D pmsl
    :Angel:

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

ROFLMAO :D :D :D

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I'm sure she thought that it ws DEFINATELY the latter :(

:) :) :) :) :)

All the best.

Robert.

8. James R

James R New Member

Hi Guys

This is my first post on any forum - just to say how much I enjoyed meeting and training with you all on Sunday. Great stuff all round, particularly enjoyed the 9 circles and peng training exercises.

Would definately be up for this again!

Regards

James
    (Rob P's beautiful assistant)

9. Taiji Butterfly

Good to meet you too James - especially as you totally mullered me at push hands lol :eek: (with all the investment in loss I'm doing I shall be rich beyond measure one day...lol not holding my breath tho :rolleyes: )
    BTW both the exercises you liked came from Alex Kozma who's just moved back to Thailand as far as i know, so if you want more you'll have to travel out there or to his school in Singapore. I will be at some point - it's the best stuff I've come across so far...
    ...next time I'll do the 'Heaven earth Man' Qigong he taught us - it's softer physically and less 'martial' (which is why I skipped it yesterday), but very powerful energetically through practice over time....
    Do you know that one btw Zendog?

10. James R

James R New Member

Hi TB

I've got a couple of AK's IMA books and VCD's - certainly interesting stuff. I am hoping to be getting his old yang style intro DVD soon, which should be good too!

J

11. Taiji Butterfly

I've got that one - well worth a watch. If I'd thought of it I could have shown you my (rudimentary) demo of the form on that dvd - next time... (lots of next times coming out today...)
    PS ask Middleway if he has any copies left...

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey James,

It was good to meet and train with you mate. Welcome to the wonderfully time consuming world of MAP! :)

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

hey james welcome to our little ima/taichi madhouse..
    was big fun playing together mate, interestingly fast 'change up' of gears you have - nice try with the ward off ! :D

Well, seems I've dodged the fare, so there will be a £80 chq for Amnesty International winging its way to them via TB. nice one guys!

How dastardly delicious..
    ..if I'm collared while bowling around there (which I very much doubt.. you lot will just have to pay double next time! :) )

An Autumn meet would be cool; round Octoberish maybe ?.
    Very much look forward to Chris and steve R being there !!

Thanks again to everyone that came along and MAP for letting us have 'official' (very loose when applied to us I fancy.. :) ) status.. and being our 'ghost host' here making way for such shenanigans.

Good stuff, and here's to more of the same. Cheers!

regards
    zd

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  14. Taiji Butterfly

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Sauce tb, sauce! :p

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Not as yet TB, but look forward to checking it out some time. I've nicked a bunch off of Dr. Yang's vid.. :eek:

Just an aside on the peng stuff really.. A few of you will remember me muttering something incoherently about a 'cover of the box' in reference to the second exercise.

Here's an interesting visualisation regards peng that may help that along.. I also found that randomly putting in some postures into that motion is quite interesting eg. strum the flute. Also try reversing that motion when doing that as well as doing it both sides.

Imagine a box (filled with arrows) fixed to a horses back. Imagine that the lid is free. Think of the motion of the lid as the horse gallops along. Rising and falling

the word 'bin' preceeded 'peng'. It was the word used for the container that held arrows for use on horseback,

idea: rise and cover immediately- remembering that up and away is just being nice or the rise is 'a set up' .. for the fall..

the down motion is different from an. An is more of as rolling back and down motion - a wave crashing back off a harboour wall for example as well as Mr. Bear :)

Hope that is helpful.. Play with it!

ps. will stuff chq in post over this w/e tb.

cheers

17. Taiji Butterfly

Just as a postscript to this thread - I got a thankyou letter from Amnesty International a couple of weeks ago, they greatly appreciated our donation and wanted me to extend their thanks to all of you who took part and contributed.... :)
    So... er...
    THANKS, YOU GUYS!!