who's the best in silat? VIETNAM!

Discussion in 'Silat' started by rizal, Dec 6, 2005.

1. rizal

rizal Valued Member

Congratulations for Vietnam who gave a sound beating to Indonesia and Malaysia during 2005 Sea Games in Cebu, Phillipines.
    Vietnam got the most gold (7) with Indonesia (3) and Malaysia (forgot) coming in second and third place.
    Makes me wonder, should more vienamese gave their opinion in silat forum instead of malays.
    To Westerners: push for Silat in the olympics. If Vietnam can be number one, surely americans, dutch, and britons can too!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  2. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

My respects to the Vietnam team!!!

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Have you any sites about the games? I'd be interested to see what kind of Silat they were using, and the rules around the games.

4. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Looks like the predictions about Vietnam are coming true. This is what, the second SEA game they've taken?

5. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

6. zenbaseballbat

zenbaseballbat New Member

I stayed with the indo team a few years back at the padopokan., although i was training in traditional stuff.... they are full time...if i remember rightly the viet team are full time and military..

7. Wali

Wali Valued Member

To be honest, I don't consider the Sports aspect silat. Any 'silaty' aspects have totally been stripped away, and you are left with a TKD rip-off, with the odd pose and dance.

Well done to the winning team, but the essence of the art isn't done any favours with these competitions.

I would like to see a more realistic silat competition, more alike some of the more physically demanding contact sports. This would enable silat players to really show the art. Even without the 'devasting' moves that would be illegal, which most people say, it would still be a lot more convinving.

8. rizal

rizal Valued Member

well, i think silat in contact sports are not meant to move seni. Seni is judged separately.
    i like silat competition more than others since in a good competition, you'll see something that seldom seen in other contact sports: take downs. Sure, if it fails the referee will stop the fight (sure be nice to see the guy take some hits for his/her failed bet though). But I think
    the best duel i ever saw was during an internation silat meet in Jakarta a few years back. Two spanish (??) pesilat fought but instead of just trade punches, they show how versatile silat is (I do wish I had a vidcam that year, the fight was AWESOME!). Instead getting sore all over their bodies, they both show that in reality, when two pesilat meet, an elegant escape from a throw is as hurting as punch in the face (it is the same as "ha ha, good one, grasshopper").
    BTW, I don't about you, but if any opponents of mine tried to hurt me 'illegally', i'll make sure he/she won't walk off the field: a no no in competition.

9. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

I hope so. Maybe they should allow only people who actually learn silat to enter the competition.And they should turn on the music (the traditional gendang silat, of course) for the sports silat too :)

10. Wali

Wali Valued Member

With or without the artistic aspects, (Silat doesn't look too artistic when it's being applied 'full on'), the competitions need a MAJOR overhaul, as at the moment, they are quite laughable. To look back at the history and heritage, and the sweat and tears that Pendekars of old have gone through to preserve an effective fighting system, only to see it side-showed in a semi-contact tournament is sad.

By making it more realistic, it would have several effects.

1) Awareness would increase, as there would be a greater level of threat from your opponent, as oppossed to a simple 'tap'

2) More skill would be required, as you would have to engage in some form of finishing, as oppossed to simply reverting to a sneaky 'tap'

3) It would maintain some level of realism, that would give it more credibility.

In essence, the 'tap' dancing (pardon the pun), would be replaced with something a little bit more respectable.

11. soulguru

soulguru New Member

wow... "sport" silat; muay thai w/ takedowns can also be an awesome contact/spectator sport- to be honest, i'd rather watch it (muay thai w/ takedowns) than see Silat being bastardized like a TKD tourney w/ takedowns... i have breathed Silat & living it; i have done my time via kickboxing & Korean arts before, but it was Silat that gave me so much an eye-opening understanding of life and the true way of the warrior: oneness in mind, body, spirit.

so to see Silat as just a simple kick/punch/throw routine negates its being a beautifully devastating art, honed thru centuries of bloody conflicts in the southeast asian experience, complete in every tactical aspect of combat, whether empty-handed, w/ weapons, or via the internal/spiritual techniques...well, this is just my personal take. :cool:

12. zenbaseballbat

zenbaseballbat New Member

I must say I cant stand silat tournaments...