Who trains with the Kerambit regularly here?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by pakarilusi, Sep 3, 2013.

1. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Just started after all these years in Silat.

My family style, which I just rediscovered.

Interesting weapon to say the least, very deceptive.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'll be interested to see the response to this. If I could add on another twist, I'm wondering how many people are doing silat material with it, versus kali material. My understanding is that it's primarily an Indonesian weapon, but it seems to crop up in kali quite a lot these days, probably due to cross-pollination by the likes of Guro Dan Inosanto (who introduced me to the weapon in the first place).

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am on the Kali side of the fence with it, looking at it as another pointy thing to play with.

I generally dislike the false/icepick grip so don't work karambit as much as I probably would otherwise. That said I love watching guys like Doug Marcaida work with it, and my Assistant Coach P-Dog is a karambit fiend

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

We do. Lately it's been most of our focus. I do a blended Indonesian Silat system.

Any kind of 'fistload' is deceptive.

There's a miner's weapon called a 'Spar Hammer' used as a fistload in bareknuckle boxing training (not match fights but in the 'self-defence' side of things) that has the same idea behind it.

And 'fork tines' held in the hand were long time used as peasant's weapons in Europe and elsewhere.

Always thought of a Kerambit (surely used as an agricultural loading tool for rice-bailing?) as the weapon of the disadvantaged - women in peril, downtrodden peasants. Anybody looking for an equaliser with shock power.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Wow, that's a nasty looking weapon - certainly looks effective in his hands

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7TPa1eQ8w"]Karambit Blade Work With Doug Marcaida - YouTube[/ame]

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

MadMonk (Der Auslander) trains under him - he says it likes watching a blur!

7. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You know they're usually meant to be poisoned, right?

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Downtrodden peasants?

9. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I love the Kerambit as it easily complements most empty hand moves that I've studied.

And when you have small hands like mine that gets sweaty during training, the ring really helps. ;)

10. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Kerambits? I thought this was mostly done with Keris?

11. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Mostly, but then I've heard some Silat people advocating putting poison on almost all bladed Silat weapons. Not really prudent imo...

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How do you rediscover your own family style?

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Probably in the loft with the Christmas decorations.

14. Dead_pool

badda boom!

15. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

By reading your grandfather's book only in your late 30's... That's how. ;)

16. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Just to clarify, I had concentrated more on the Golok knife work.

Just getting into the Kerambit aspects now, thus the intrigue... :)

17. Dead_pool

Do you only train from books?

18. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I train with my uncle and our book as well as he is not as healthy as he used to be.

Anyhow, the training is different than most other styles of Silat I've done. A lot of scenario based stuff because my grandad was actually attacked quite a bit for real, weapons at that.

So the training is based a lot on dealing with surprise weapons attacks. Almost like what you see in the military SPEAR System etc... Especially with the Kerambit, a hidden weapon of sorts. Intriguingly, my family style keeps the Kerambit hidden from sight as much as possible and there isn't as much flashy twirling as you'd see in most videos.

Of course there is the normal duelling sparring as well with mock knives.

More alive training than usually is in very traditional Silat systems imho... At least from my experience.

19. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Been training karambit since about 2009 now. Have carried one with me on ops and have found it to be a really useful bit of kit. Quick to deploy as well, which saved the bacon of me and a colleague last year! Can't recommend it enough :)

20. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Care to elaborate without giving any sensitive info out?

It would really be useful I'm sure. :)