Who takes Kempo?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Bellator Manus, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I'm just curious is there a difference between Kenpo and Kempo or are they interchangeable terms?

2. Luar

Luar New Member

This has been answered numerous times all over the place but the short practical answer is there is no difference in the terms.

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Kenpo or Kempo is a large family tree of martial arts. In the US use of the "n" or "m" can tell you something about the lineage of that style...

mostly, the "n" styles come out of Parker; and the "n" styles out of Emperado. There are of course exceptions and this is a broad generalization.. but if you want to know more it is easy to find this info.

4. ryuugal

ryuugal New Member

Kempo - original spelling... Kenpo - spelling after typo made on first publication out of Hawaii in mid-20th century. Too expensive to reprint, so the name stuck.

5. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Kempo

I take Shaolin Kempo, hells yeah.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I just noticed I mis-types this

N - Parker
    M - Emperado

but that is just a general guideline.

7. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

I study/teach Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate under Bryan Hawkins in West Los Angeles, California.

[​IMG]

8. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

The Japanese forms use the m too when they Romanise it. It more accurately resembles the sound of the word when spoken in Japanese.

9. Khallendross

Khallendross New Member

Chinese Kenpo Karate under Sifu Jeff Schroeder.

10. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

NO, Ryukyu Kempo from Okinawia has nothing to do with that claim. Also there were a few books from the 1920'S that use the term KEMPO. My linage is from Nakamura to Oyata.

11. Bolt

Bolt New Member

4th degree Black Belt in Grandmaster Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate, under Sifu Refugio Flores. Planning on opening my own Dojo, combining the different styles I have under gone.

12. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Shaolin Kempo For me, Close combat rules!

13. wildwills

wildwills Valued Member

Tama Ryu Kenpo Jujitsu in Dayton, OH. Mix of Shaolin Kenpo, Okinawa Te, Danzan Ryu and Aiki Jujitsu.

14. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Me = Kiyojute Ryu Kempoka.

15. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

I will be starting in AMerican Kenpo..but before that..
    when i very first started Kenpo...it was
    Lama Kenpo Karate..from the style of Lima Lama..i think that's how it's spelled...

DJ hunny

16. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

kenpo

i started with tracys kenpo, then went to parker kenpo that was back in 1965
    i teach American chinese kenpo karate www.ackks.com

17. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

sorry but thats Sr.Grandmaster Ed Parker

18. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

thank you collin i was going to add that, you beat me to the punch,yep but you are right and the people need to know why things are done the way they are, and why things are spelled the way they are :D

19. JazzHands

JazzHands New Member

Shaolin Kempo, USSD

20. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

???????

what????