Who put the "Ki" in Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by jorvik, May 4, 2009.

1. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

ok check out these two clips of Daito Ryu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbPF-OcjnyY&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Hikarido I[/ame]

I always had the impression from reading about Aikido that Ueshibas teacher was a tough no nonsence type of guy..he actually killed about 10 people with a sword ......and that all the spiritual stuff came from Uechiba and his meetings with Onisaburu Deguchi.....and that was how all the ki stuff developed

but check this out

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LNKfu8AAks&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Hikarido II[/ame]

it is starting to get weird ......but the beginning seemed so normal
    maybe it's our perception that is wrong and maybe it is all normal.but in a different way than what we are used to......either way I loved these clips

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'll be astonished if that's all actually daito-ryu aikijutsu... This whole no-touch thing doesn't belong in any legitimate martial art.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  3. NKR

NKR Valued Member

From what I know (which is very little compared to others), this is Daito Ryu. This video is of a student of Horikawa Kodo who was issued a Menkyo Kaiden from Takeda Sokaku. The student is Nishikido Takeo. Horikawa opened the Kodokai in 1950 and one of his students is the well known Okamato Seigo who founded the Daito Ryu Roppokai after Horikawa died.
    Alot of this seemingly "invisible" aiki has alot to do with visual deception and body manipulation. Good stuff but takes alot to master and works best on unsuspecting attackers (and uke that is playing the unsuspecting attacker part).
    Good stuff.

Darrell Collins
    Nippon Kobudo Rengokai

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I was told that techniques such as these depend upon "surprising" the attacker..most often by pre-empting their attack by controlling the centreline,timing,balance and distancing.

However i was also told that it is quite impossible to "demonstrate" them...How do you realistically demonstrate "surprise"?

Even after fifty years of training I am never quite convinced by these demonstrations.

Below a kokyu nage throw by Saito shihan. I have felt this from him and am convinced of the extraordinary power he had. Sekiya shihan wrote this down for me..
    extraORDINARY nothing mystical simply mastery of the basics.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

5. chof

chof Valued Member

this guy is full of bologna. ki does not work like that, ki is advanced coordination and balance, akido is based on sphericity, and spinning into your opponent and away, some throws can be done with very little tension because you extend you opponent outside of his center and wala he falls

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  6. NKR

NKR Valued Member

The hard part is re-creating the surprise......I have had thes type "Aiki" techniques applied on me and they are QUITE EFFECTIVE! When you do not know what is about to happen to you it is hard to defend against.

I have to remind my students (even on our more "normal" type techniques) to not anticipate what is about to happen to them.

Darrell Collins
    Nippon Kobudo Rengokai

7. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

I think it genuine, but I don't know what went before, maybe it was hammed up a bit for the camera...but there is other stuff that you can see that seems to lead up to this and gives an explanation.........
    check this out
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dobroka01

if you have some familiarity with what's going on then you can maybe understand, if not it's difficult.you have to make a paradigm shift ...................to be honest I don't know where I stand here, but that's a good thing.

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The type of techniques in those videos demand that uke take a very firm grip and either push pull or twist so that this may be used against him to unbalance.

Were it an all out attack the principles would be used to throw him. The breakfall uke does in the demos is to show this.

Many of the aikido shihan I have spoken to and trained with have no time for this type of demonstration because it can easily be seen as a misrepresentation of the principles.

I have also had to watch people of little skill "performing" similar demonstrations that bring ridicule to the art.

KI is fighting spirit it is NOT something that can be led and used to throw with no effort or principles behind it.

regards koyo

9. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings each
    I don't actually practice Aikido ,but I am facinated by the art,I have had the hounour of training with some high grades on the few occasions I have had a go at the art. I'm amazed at the power of emptiness .And even in the arts I pracice the things i find most difficult to understand ...always have the most simple of answers lol As my master always says..'progesive Mike san Progressive' grrr lol