Who here practices xing yi?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by shaolin_al, Mar 26, 2011.

1. shaolin_al

shaolin_al Valued Member

Hello I am a noob to the xing yi quan world and was wondering who else here does xing yi for how long and what style of it do u study?

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I only do a few pieces from a system of Xingyi. A little Pi chuan, Dragon and some neigung. 4-5yrs maybe, It's Hebei.. I've practiced the other wu xing in the past to a level I was fairly happy with, except for Heng. Though I have done a neigong for heng, which I like.

My main system is tai chi chuan, and I supplement with whatever I find useful/like at the time..

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Like cloudz, I've done a little xingyi. Mainly Santi, Beng Quan and some neigong. And again, like cloudz, my main style is Taijiquan, although I do a little baguazhang as well (though not to any great level)

4. shaolin_al

shaolin_al Valued Member

I've just started myself. so for ive learned some of its qigong and learned the first 3 elements pi zuan and beng along with their 2 person drills. in the past i've done a little sun style baguazhang also.

5. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I have practiced Sun style xingyi for around seven years.Its very difficult and progress is slow but I do enjoy it.

6. Mr Smiles

Mr Smiles Valued Member

Erm just started. Babysteps it is so for now santi, than the 5 elements. (if thats what its called, just started and dont really know the system yet)

7. shaolin_al

shaolin_al Valued Member

just to give everyone an update I have recently learned wuxingquan or the 5 element linking form and next will be moving on to the animals.

8. Owen_Schilling

Owen_Schilling New Member

Hebei Xingyi Quan Yi Zong branch, 12 years :)

9. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Yep,
    Only a few years though.
    Hebei style from Li Cun Yi, through Chu Gui Ting.

I haven't covered all 12 animals yet, as my shifu says I should not collect forms, but understand better what I already know.
    Favorite forms are Wu Xing Lian Huan Quan and Yau Xing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. LoChu

LoChu Valued Member

I practice Shen Long under Dr. Vince Black's North American Tang Shou Tao Association (NATSTA). I noticed the original poster is in AZ. NATSTA's headquarters is in Tuscon. Info below if interested.

http://www.natsta.org/

11. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

So then what is Xinyi? Not xingyi, without the "g".

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

A rose by any other name-to wit,Hsin-I = Hsing I.

13. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I have done Shanxi for about ten years.

14. leftwingtaoist

leftwingtaoist Valued Member

i have been practicing xing i for about 8 years now together with bagua.

And herbert your teacher is right. if you can't really understand the pi chuan you will not understand xing i. this exercise contains everything you need to know about xing i.

15. JRRodriguezIV

JRRodriguezIV Valued Member

Xinyi was the original name of Wang Xiangzhai's style when he learned it from Guo Yun Shen (his uncle), but Wang decided to add the letter 'g' making it Xingyi, effectively separating the FORM and the PHILOSOPHY.

Xinyi = Philosophy
    Xingyi = Form

Before Wang added the 'g', it was confusing to students when talking about either Form of Philosophy.

Internal Arts have both Form and Philosophy, that's why the word Xinyi is many times placed before the Form. Example: Xinyi Taiji, or Xinyi Liuhebafa, etc. etc.

My answer to your original question, I know the Xingyi form, but practice Liuhebafa instead, because it is more complete. :cool:

16. yaba

yaba New Member

I do a little - right now only 1 hour a day

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

18. yaba

yaba New Member

no u :hat: he's a different guy

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  19. emptycupoftea

emptycupoftea Valued Member

I have been doing Xingyiquan for about 5 years. I practice a style that comes from Wang Shu Jin's line. I practice the Wuxing 5 element fist of it. I will be in
    next month starting Shanxi style Xingyiquan.