Who here is a true martial artist

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by energyboost, May 3, 2003.

1. energyboost

energyboost New Member

Meaning someone who can preform artistically, combat suitable for war?

Does joining the army make you a martial artist?

Or does perfection of punches and kicks, while not knowing how to aim or shoot a gun make you a martial artist?

Or does a martial artist master both armed and unarmed combat.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I was half way into a lengthy reply but then I spotted your sig line.

I've flogged that dead horse too many times.

All I will say is this - how do you measure this "perfection of punches and kicks" if not by testing them under non-compliance with someone trying to do the same to you? - i.e. SPORT.

3. morphus

morphus Doobrey

A martial artist........as with many other things in life, there is no clear cut meaning of the phrase, only individual interpretation. What may be martial artist to one, may not be to another. There are many forms in martial arts, some of which bare little or no resemblance to others - i.e. tai chi and boxing or TKD, none of these use weapons only empty hand, then there are those that use weapons. There are those that compete, some of which bare little or no resemblance to the affore mentioned arts and then bare little or no resemblance to other competing arts i.e Kata/forms and boxing or ju jitsu. Does joining the army constitute studying a martial art, again depends on your point of view.

There is one thing all the arts (including joining the army in a sence) they are all training and studying the art of fighting or self defence/combat, whether it be for personal success and health or to go out and use it in a combat situation of some sort. These are martial artists!

Those that used to study and more to the point those that don't study martials arts are NOT martial artists!

BUT thats MY point of view!

Consider this; someone who draws/paints/studys form and puts it down on paper continuously/regularly is usually thought of as being an artist whether good or bad, professional or amiture - someone who doesn't draw/paint/study form ever, is NOT an artist!

I'm sure there are gaps in that statement, BUT it's the only statement i'm making. ;)

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I will agree that martial arts is not intrinsically a sport. However I will also state that the best way to train martial arts is in a sports environment.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Or better yet, a variety of sporting environments, so long as you are aware of the limitations of each?

6. totalkayos

totalkayos Valued Member

i disagree. i belive that martial art is a sport. it can be athletic, and competative. it can build character and confindence.

7. energyboost

energyboost New Member

I know for a fact an artist is he/she who is creative(finding new and evolving ways of expressing themselves) within whatever genre that person considers an art, in order to learn to fight with weapons one must fight, same for empty hands. Can't swim if you don't go in the water. There are no rules to swimming, only if it is a sport, same for martial arts, but swimming is swimming is swimming, and fighting is fighting is fighting. And fighting with rules restricts it, meaning it doesn't let it be what it truly wants to be because too many liberals want to shy away from what fighting actually is. I'm not saying fighting is pretty, it's not supposed to be, i'm asking who here fights for the sake of fighting without attaching themselves to styles but to what is demanded at the time.

8. YODA

So - who would you judge to be the best swimmer in the world?

My bet is an Olympic Gold Medalist. Now then - do you think that person would have got their swimming to that level without sporting competition?

9. YODA

Andrew / Andy / Totalkaos - good answers people :D

10. John G

John G Valued Member

I feel that the only true martial artists are those combat soldiers in the servitude of the armed forces. They have to think, train and prepare for war 24/7.

The rest of us are martial artists in our own right, we uphold and keep alive the honourable techniques and traditions of bygone soldiers suiting our own individual circumstances and purposes.

I doubt if any of us (no matter what martial art/sport you do) would fair well against a fully armed fully trained combat soldier.

Last edited: May 4, 2003
  11. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

im in the army! ok well i start in september but i passed all the selection, i can carry on with tae kwon do in the army but im gona have to do aikido on the weekends wen i start it
    i think that a true martial artist is a person who is dedicated to pracitcing martial arts wat i mean is, someone who wants to do it and trains at home aswell instead of someone who does it for something to do on a boring weeknight and just to be able to say that u practice martial arts

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Martial artist is More about the Artist and his definition.
    -TkdWarrior-

Last edited: May 4, 2003
  13. morphus

morphus Doobrey

The question in the first post is
    "Who here is a true martial artist"

"Meaning someone who can preform artistically, combat suitable for war?

Does joining the army make you a martial artist?

Or does perfection of punches and kicks, while not knowing how to aim or shoot a gun make you a martial artist?

Or does a martial artist master both armed and unarmed combat."

Sport is a proportional part of the equation. Surely it's someone who practices a way of self protection/defence/fighting. Practices being the main part of the equation.

Damn, i wasn't going to make another statement!:mad:

14. Cain

Cain New Member

Why worry about who we are?

Why not just whack noses and discuss different ways how to :p:D

|Cain|

15. YODA

I'm with you bro :D

16. little lion

little lion New Member

I tink everybody will have a different opinion of what a true martial artist is. As an ex roylal marine i can tell you that military personnel have high levels of marksmanship (firearm) training and field combat training, but most have little if any unarmed or armed, other than with a firearm skills nor do most have any inclination to develop these skills. The people in the military who have these skills are the people who study the martial arts
    In my opinion i consider a martial artist someone whom embraces the lifestyle i.e/ developing the mental ,physical and spiritual, for their own reasons -sport , self defense, personal growth etc.
    BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION :)

17. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Its not just enough to know your good

I like it when others tell me I am good and want to learn from me. Then I know I have somthing worth sharing.

The forces do not make a martial artist, basic training in hand to hand for most military personal is about 4 months solid training in a 20 odd year span, its spread out into blocks and then a few refreshers.

No they are not MA'ist. However some who spend there own time doing it are good cos they have the physical strength and endurance to back it up.

Punching and kicking is not enough anymore - you need much more than this.

SONSHU

18. JessyBlue

JessyBlue New Member

I don´t think that someone who does Kung Fu would survive in a war like in our days, but -by the way- is the chance really higher for an armed soldier to survive?

Hey folks, it is Martial ARTS, which is the Art of Fighting.
    But it was created in a time where one -most likely- choosed the own body and your skills as weapons.

Well, I think, that today, it is more like competing with yourselfe.

19. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I practice several sport martial arts. I have fought in a ring, and in a cage. I have also fought in the street more times than I care to recollect, mostly through my work as a bouncer. Without my skills that I have honed throughout my years of competition, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that those street encounters would have turned out different.

And as long as we are namecalling, Hi, nitwit.