Who for Vice President?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by oldshadow, Feb 1, 2008.

1. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Who for Vice President?
    In my opinion it looks like it will be Obama -VS- McCain for president. So who will be chosen for their running mates?
    I don’t think Hillary would take it if it was offered (pride and all at not being nominated) so who do you think Obama would pick.
    I heard a rumor that they might get Condoleezza Rice as a VP for McCain. This would make it a very interesting time of things. :D

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Obama has some momentum right now but I'd wait until after Super Tuesday at least to crown him as the nominee. If he does pull it off, he would be smart to pick a governor as his running mate. You know, someone who actually has some experience being the chief executive of a state. I initially thought Richardson might get picked because he had the most impressive resume, but he never picked up any steam in the process.

Don't see McCain picking Rice as interesting as that sounds. Again since it looks like the nominees from both sides may be senators, it might be a governor. It won't be Romney as McCain reportedly does not like him.

You posed an interesting question.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  3. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Why would you count a Clinton out???

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I wouldn't at this point.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ron Paul as president and Dennis Kucinich as VP (in my dream world).

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Tony Blair! You like him, he likes you.... Have him!

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

LOL.....He probably is more popular here than over there.

8. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

I don’t think the powers in the Democratic Party want Hillary as their candidate. I think most will get behind Obama as he would be the one with the best chance of a win. I could be wrong on my picks. We should soon see.

I would really love to see a McCain, Condoleezza Rice ticket. It would sure stir things up. :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  9. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

And when he create mass unemployment and stifles capitalism taking away the means for the average American to better their condition through entrepreneurship it will have all been worth it to appoint some non activist judges right?

But guess what happens when people feel dissatisfied with democracy in terms of material living standards? They turn to a strong man/party. One of the most studied and extream examples is the Algerian elections and consequent civil war of the early 1990’s.
    Not to mention that When policies which are considerer good goals in themselves fail; people look for scape goats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_Civil_War

Perhaps you will be wanting to profiteer?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  10. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

old, the apparatchiks of the Democrat Party are all Clinton supporters. The Clintons also have the media and decades of experience in bare knuckle politics.

Obama is an empty suited babe-in-the-woods armed only with platitudes. He may be able to play on white liberal guilt for a time (especially with Bill Clinton's racist attacks), but I fail to see how the insiders of the Democrat Party would want him.

Hillary has the infrastructure and the money. However, despite our brilliant political observations, I guess we will all find out. :D

Democrat VP: Evan Bayh

Republican VP: Ken Blackwell

11. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Why can't Al Gore come back and be VP again :cry:

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

First, you guys are crazy if you think that the GOP base would get behind Rice as any part of their ticket.

For me, I don't know who will be picked ultimately, but I think Joe Biden would be an asset to either Obama or Clinton's ticket. He's well liked among younger voters, a regular on the Daily Show (in other words not afraid of Stewart's sometimes striking candor), is qualified (more than either frontrunner) and actually has a record that supports his stated views.

13. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

How did you know Biden is just not copying what others have said? :p :D

list, Al coudn't carry his own state in 2000 (well, he was born in DC but the state he has his mansions in is TN). Do not think he would help anything.

Besides Al is making a mountain of money at Generation. He can continue to shake down the morons with Generation and then come back in '12.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  14. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Well, it's either because I'm psychic or because he's been a Senator for over 25 years and actually has a voting pattern that is a matter of public record.

15. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Just can't make jokes these days! I am so old I forget everyone does not have the same frame of reference.

Biden had to drop out of the '88 race for nomination when it was discovered that he plagiarised speeches by such political figures as Neil Kinnock of the British Labour Party and Bobby Kennedy as well as a plagiarised law review article from his student days.

*EDIT: Oh, nuts, you're 37! Sorry if you did not catch my reference.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

but since then he's managed to snag an Oscar for "An Inconveneient Truth" AND a Nobel Prize. He's quite popular, but I don't imagine him doing national politics again. Especially not with a Clinton. I have no hard evidence to back that up, but it's a strong gut feeling.

17. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Al has done the VP thing before. You won't see him do it again for a Clinton or anyone else.

I do recall Biden's run that El Tejon brought up before (Got a similar frame of reference = old). That issue never was brought up this time around at all, not even as a historical footnote.

18. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Don't worry. I'm not getting worked up. I knew you were joking and thought that my sarcasm was pretty clear, too.

As for the plagiarism, it was speech, not speeches. He'd delivered the same speech many times before and correctly attributed the passages in every case but one. It's pretty clear to any objective person that it was a simple mistake used as a timely political weapon by the Dukakis campaign.

But you're right in that he's been paying for it ever since. Doesn't mean that he wasn't the best qualified democratic nominee. Just that he isn't the most electable. Still, he'd be a terrific VP candidate and brings a lot to the table in that regard.