Who fancies rhabdo? MAP challenges!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

BUMP!

Ok here's one... 300 punches timed. Any style you like.

I did chain punches. Figure it'd be fastest I could throw. I got 53 seconds.

And when I say chain punches I mean properly and with power.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Unless we see video, your claims of "with power" aren't going to hold a lot of water. Most boxing matches even with the fastest fighters have them throwing maybe 100 punches every 3 minute round.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

3 things:
    1. I have a desire to keep my face off of the internet as much as possible
    2. I have no video camera
    3. If I did make a video the type of power you'd see is Wing Chun short power. Seeing as most people on here don't know the differences between a Wing Chun punch with power and that slap happy garbage which has spread over the majority of youtube it wouldn't matter if I posted a video or not because you wouldn't see the power one way or another.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You're probably right, because I'd find it difficult to imagine anyone could throw 300 punches in less than 60 seconds with full power. Most of the "most punches in 60 sec" videos you see are laughable.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1GzMoNQKzg&feature=related"]world record of 412 punches in one minute by Ahmad hussain(pakistan) Samaa news - YouTube[/ame]

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Then don't set the camera so it can see your face. Better yet don't join a challenge thread where call outs are likely if you make ridiculous claims.
    You telling me your mobile doesn't have a camera? Mine cost twenty quid and can put up video

I'm not even going to address this.

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Fair enough. on the face bit but 300 punches in a minute isn't too ridiculous for chain punches. It doesn't allow you 100% power and it's a speed you'll pretty much never have to use as but I thought it would be an interesting challenge.
    Why don't you show me how many you can do of your chosen punch style then?

Poor uni student can't afford a cell phone. My room mates and I all split on a landline. I'm working from a desktop computer.

OFFTOPIC: what currency is it when you're referring to quid? Pounds? Euros? I'm a little foggy on euro-bucks.

7. seiken steve

GBP.

Because I only have to hit someone once.

8. Plimft

Plimft Valued Member

You are awesome Steve :)

9. seiken steve

Ha thanks, alsi big thanks for bumpinng this thread.

got a feew things to put up here, we should get the ball moving again. :)

10. Plimft

Plimft Valued Member

Fire away! I'm well out of condition and my strength is way down, but if I have challenges to have a crack at it'll motivate me to get training and give me a benchmark for my progress!

11. seiken steve

Right! I enjoyed this one. Works all your Deadlift accessory work and ISA killer WOD on its own.

10>1 reps of:

Snatch grip Deadlift (65kg) [bruised ribs effected ROM so I rested my bar on 1 plate aside, feel free to do the same]
    KB swing (24kg)
    2 DB shrug (32kg each) [I used 2 KBs as no DBs]

So you do 10 reps of each, then 9 reps of each etc down to 1.

I got 7 mins 19 seconds. Let's see your times MAP!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  12. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I remember trying shrugs with dumbbells that heavy (32kg each), and they barely moved. Whereas doing barbell shrug at 65kg could get 25 reps.

Tempted but might have to drop the DB shrugs to sub 30kg or could do 25kg plates on each hand with another 7kg tied on (if my hamstring is upto it).

I've never tried a wide grip deadlift, might be pretty tough

13. seiken steve

make whatever mods are needed to ensure (relative) saftey and a quality workout for yourself, all i ask is people dont take the mickey with it.

doing the shrugs with the bar would work i guess.

i found the wide grip dead left my upper back feeling pretty trashed the next day, the swind hit the hammys and SE and the shrugs round the whole thing off.

I made the WOD because i wanted to do some metcon but also needed to get my deadlift accesory work in, i think its got everything pretty well covered. :) so i'm pleased with this brain child.

14. Princess Haru

Damn it hurt, after the first 10 thought it wasn't so bad but when I got to the 7 considered ducking out, but reasoned with myself this was passing the half way point. You really have to wonder when a KB Swing with 24kg feels light by comparison to the rest of it :p I was genuinely worried for my back but after 5 minutes of hanging leg raises I was okay, because my hands were hurting like hell...

Deadlifts 60kg - barbell
    Swings 24kg - kettlebell
    Shrugs 2x25kg - barbell plates

8:35

15. seiken steve

awesome harra!

you beat my training partner considerably, i'll be letting him know that!!

16. Princess Haru

:Angel::hammer: Cool! and I was doing it a couple of days after I could barely walk, damn hamstring... probably not the most sensible thing but hey

17. seiken steve

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

will see about picking one or two from the already posted ones to try later, but here's mine:

42 deadlifts at 42% 1RM in as few sets as possible (ideally 1) and in as little time as possible.

i've done 41 reps at more than 42%, so it's definitely doable. use whichever deadlift variant you feel comfortable with, switch grips if needed. i took a few breathers and did it in around 4 minutes, i think.

another fun one to do if you have really small plates available might be to do a klokov press to paused overhead squat complex (not a long pause, just enough for it to be recognizable as a paused squat, say a 3 count at most), starting with the empty bar, then add the smallest weight you can, do another rep, add weight again, etc, until you fail a rep, so:

klokov press to paused overhead squat, starting with the empty bar, ramping singles until failure.

for reference, klokov press = snatch grip behind the neck strict press without a shrug: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPxwuGUZBY"]KLOKOV Dmitry RUS - YouTube[/ame] (warning, these are brutal)

i might try this one before next week if my shoulder decides to behave nicely.

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

A fun little challenge a buddy of mine introduced me to is the "Truth Teller" fitness test.

Essentially it's a one mile run as fast as you can, rest no more than 5 min, then perform a max pull-up test, rest no more than 5 minutes, then perform as many 8 count bodybuilders as you can in 2 minutes. Sounds simple on paper but it is much tougher than you think.

Once you get your scores you can see where you are on the ranking.

http://www.corpsstrength.com/page9/page9.html

Your score is the lowest of your tests so if you're a superfast stud but can barely do 2 pull-ups you get the "Broke" ranking. I did this myself the other day and got a score of Humvee.

20. seiken steve

Did 100 Deadlifts with 100kg on sat, took me 9:04 is anyone wants a go.