Who fancies rhabdo? MAP challenges!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Feb 25, 2011.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Thousand video's on YouTube m'dear. can't post any as I'm using an iPad
    A lot of people use DBs as a 20 kg plate tends to be a little wide, in my gym the 15 fits through just fine.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

The starting position and hip movement is not unlike a deadlift with wider more upright stance, and longer action. The arms kept straight move from between legs swinging to just above shoulder height but the action is from the centre. It's a horrible core exercise with strong hints of cardio. I really feel it in the abs, quads and lats.

3. seiken steve

4. Princess Haru

Did 50 burpees + 100 KB swings again, this time with 16kg KB throughout. Only 9:50 though. I took too much recovery time between the sets

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Thanks Steve, but I'm sure there's plenty of guys here on MAP that are a lot stronger than me in many areas.

I missed training yesterday as I got absorbed into cleaning my garage and sorting my tools prior to work. I decided tonight would be the best night to try this out so with America's Most Wanted kicking in the background, I did a quick warm-up (mostly foam rolling and mobility drills) then hopped right into it.

I used my 24kg for the swings. My strategy was to do 10 burpees, then 20 one-handed swings (10 right, then 10 left) and do them back to back as much as possible for a total of 5 sets.

Total time - 7:35.

Admittedly I've been training a lot of high volume kettlebell swings for the past few weeks, so for me the big thing was the burpees. By set three I was hurting on those. The swings were almost like a recovery exercise. I was also training in my living room so the height of my jump was limited and I had to put my hands behind my head for the jump.

Still, a lot better than I thought I would. My heart rate monitor was screaming at me as I passed my MHR doing this workout.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  6. seiken steve

Very impressive Kuma!
    I think if I was doing swings in the living room it would be more than the HRM that would be screaming at me!
    How have you found the kettle bell swings helped you DL?
    I've been doing a bit of high volume swings recently and my DLs have felt a fair bit easier, haven't tested my max but the 90 and 95% singles have felt pretty good, may have just been a good day though.
    I had saved the KB for deload week but I think it has firmly secured itself as a regular work out.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Thanks Steve. I surprised myself a bit, my conditioning has definitely been improving thanks to my new "bible", Corps Strength. I haven't tested my max in a while, but I know a lot of powerlifters who swear swings help their deads and squats. Donnie Thompson is a good guy to look into.

8. seiken steve

that is some serriously impressive progression haru!!

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

How about we try a new challenge and see if we could get more people involved?

I'll throw one out there: do as many eight count bodybuilders as you can in 10 minutes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQT-wZdP28&tracker=False&NR=1"]YouTube - SEAL Fit 8 Count Body Builder[/ame]

10. seiken steve

Twas your turn so sonunds good!
    They look brutal.
    Will give this a try soon.

11. seiken steve

We're waiting for the bench mark Kuma!!
    :evil:

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Had military all this weekend but going to try today if my overtime goes quickly.

13. Princess Haru

I was going to try this on Saturday but wimped out after a 5km running warmup. I also worried that I would get 5-6 minutes in and lose count

14. seiken steve

I keep forgetting to try this one!

May be easier for keeping count to do reps than time, I dunno.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've been hurt due to an incident at work, so I haven't gotten the opportunity to try yet either.

16. seiken steve

Oh crap mate. Hope your okay.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

17. seiken steve

did this one last week for the crack, didnt keep record though.

Using your 5RM add 5 kg on the bench press.

do a single then drop and do 10 push ups.
    do as many rounds as you can till your form goes crappy or you cant accelerate the bar anymore.

there is no time limit.

18. Altyrium

Altyrium New Member

I'll try that one tonight, but here's one for thought for you all:
    As a circut do 100 jump rope rotations, 10 burpies, 10 plyo pushups, 10 squats.
    See how many circuts you can do, or time how many 1 takes you.

19. seiken steve

I know nobody is playing along but I did 100 swings (20kg) and 50 press ups in 4.55 last night.

Boom.

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Id like to try this I think id get a good time with the burpees, don't really feel confident in my kettle bell swing to do it though, iv only had one kettle bell class in my life and have never really gotten round to incorporating them into my workout past the odd thing even though I keep saying I will, will need to practice and try this.