Who DOES NOT use weight training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, May 2, 2004.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

who doesnt use weight training to supplement thier martial arts, if you do train for health and fitness to help you in martial arts then what do you do to help you get stronger or become fitter?

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Me. I don't use weights.

I stopped doing any weights a few years ago.
    I only started Karate 17 months ago.

I do situps + pressups every day and running 3 times a week.

Cheers. :)

3. mountainsage

mountainsage New Member

Weight are foolish

I don't do the weight room thing, but I use weighted functional strength training.

Mountainsage

4. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Try the Scrapper thing. Ive done a similar style workout a few time and they always make me hurt.

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Fair enough, everyone's allowed their own thing. But the question remains...why? Why avoid weight-training, and still do push-ups and sit-ups every day? That's a great recipe for a weak and painful back.

And Mountainsage, that's a pretty harsh statement "Weights are foolish." Could you please explain what, exactly "weighted functional strength training" is?

You all (hopefully) know I'm not just busting your chops, I'm honestly curious about the reasonings behind your avoidance of iron. Thanks.

6. Grifter

Im happy you asked cause I was wondering the same thing. Just didnt want to ask.

7. yes

yes Banned Banned

Had a four month lay off, during which period I felt weak as ****... got back to the gym today, lifting nothing at all compared to what I was. :(

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I don't have access to weights. No $$ to buy them or go to a gym :(

Instead, I just do pull ups, pushups, squats, and sit ups. I hate running. :eek:

PL

9. mountainsage

mountainsage New Member

I would be happy to..

BeWater, it will be nice to discuss this with someone who's not still wait for their bones to harden. A weighted functional exercise example would be filling a wheel barrow with sand,rocks,etc. and push it for a given distance or lifting and throwing different size sandbags or digging a hole and filling it in. Lifting weight when defined as going to a gym and lift with bars and such fails on numerous levels. Most lifts don't work muscles in a complete range of motion and those that do are usually done incorrectly. Most lifting is static, not dynamic. Life is dynamic, we should train for dynamic strength that will enhance everyday life. Gym weight lifting is isolation working of muscle groups, in life our bodies do not work in isolation, yet in a compound system. I have to admit that there are some bar lifts that are dynamic and compound, Turkish get up comes to mind. My thought is that we need to get out of the bodybuilder mentality and get into a functional mentality.

Mountainsage

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

*Chandler from Friends voice*

"Could you BE any more patronising???"

11. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

No way
    I get all the exercise I need by
    1. Squeezing toothpaste from a tube.
    2.Changing channel on the tv.
    3. Liftinig bacon butties.
    4. Stroking the cat.
    5. Every morning I touch my shoes 50 times (then I get up and put them on ).

David

12. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

i have some 30 poundfers i lift fr a little bit b4 i go to bed at night if that counts.

13. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

No weights here. Traditionally, teachers have discouraged students from going to the gym to build power and bulk. The kung fu should shape you because then you'll be the right shape for using it.

Sometimes people have come in to train and they have been unable to perform techniques of the style because they had disproportionately large muscles eg large pecs preventing the elbow from being able to approach the centreline to cover it.

We build up what we require with training the art. Moving under contractile tension with intent in the mind; partnered-resistance work; running about; holding stances.

Some do make training machines for themselves or use weights to simulate partner-work. One of our partnered exercises is to stand pushing against and resisting each other's movements in an exercise which is a cross between arm-wrestling and parry/striking. In part, this can be reasonably emulated by lying on the floor with a dumbell in your hand and doing the motions up towards the ceiling. It falls down because it's considered 'only' to work on raw power: not only do you not get a feel for the application of technique but you are actually desensitised to applying on a person. There's a monotonous emptiness to the weight, no matter how you look at it.

I'm tired now so calling it a day. Anybody ever heard of muscle memory?

Rgds,
    David

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  14. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

There is nothing more 'functional' then pushing and pulling.

15. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

The argument about functional strength is flawed to an extent.

Weights might not strengthen specific sets of muscles at the same time a but a well-balanced workout routine will strengthen most or all of them at different times.

Weightlifting strengthens your muscle fibers and recruits more of them to work, it also puts on mass which adds even more force to your attacks. A fool is someone who disregards the benefits of weighlifting.

Only in the most extreme circumstances will weightlifting restrict your own movement. Bodybuilding will, but that's a different thing to weightlifting and shouldn't confused with it. Weightlifting is the method to numerous aims, be it putting on xx lbs of muscle to pull birds down at the beach, or to increase the power of your muscles so you're a better MAist. This is reflected by different types of weighlifting.

Kung fu will shape you and result in muscle memory and conditioning, but that's no excuse to leave out weights. Most people I know do both, and they complement each other very well.

16. mountainsage

mountainsage New Member

You made my point

Sanitarium,
    You just proved my though,".. will strengthen most or all of them AT DIFFERENT TIMES." Our bodies are a complete unit. We move and function as a unit, not a set of put together parts. The parts must function together, so how does train them seperately teach the parts to work as a complete unit? I'll answer, It won't. You will be a good strong weightlifter, but functionally have moderate to above average strength, just an opinion and I am sure there are exception.

Mountainsage

17. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

Thought I'd chime in and add, my two cents. Training with weights can be used to address different goals as it pertains to different individuals. People can lift weights to tone, strengthen, or build muscle. I dont' get it when people discourage others from weight training. Personally I use weight training, but I only have a limited amount of material to work with. I train for strength (which is different than tone, OR body building. But don't get me wrong, it should be balanced with a sufficient flexibility and cardio regimen as well.

18. Grifter

Can somebody give me a definition of "functional Strength"??

19. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

It doesn't matter at what times they are used. This doesn't effect the efficiency of the muscles themselves. I think you misunderstand. Things like practising moves, shadow boxing, heavy bags, sparring etc, teach your muscles how to move. Weighlifting just makes them stronger.

For functional strength, I do dynamic exercises with weights, not static ones, and I hit the bag. But I pump iron for muscle mass and strength. The strength of my punches has increased threefold since doing heavy weights.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  20. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

from my experience it means pushing or pulling an object, not like in weight training where you lift a dumbell or use a weight machine doing repetitions of the same movement. In functional strength from my experience and understanding pertains to something like carrying bricks, a door, or any other everyday object like a TV