Who does FMA?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Bozza Bostik, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It seems that every time I read some stuff about Filipino martial arts there is a comment about it being used by various special forces. I understand that this is a bit of marketing and hype, but Vunak worked with a few groups (SEALS?) and the PT-Kali chaps used to (still do?) train the Filipino marines. I've even seen it claimed that the British SAS use it. No idea if that's true...

I was wondering what other service personnel etc use FMA for their unarmed & knife ruckin'?

Trying to separate the facts from the...rubbish. ;)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

ME!

Actually typically you will find "components" of FMA rather than FMA itself. Most units and services are not bound by stylistic issues and will instead "cherry pick" what works for their needs

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Also remember that many Miltary units/regiments will, independantly of any 'central command', contract an FMA/MA instructor to come in and teach them a course. This doesn't mean that the Military have now sweepingly adopted 'Martial Art X' into their training.

There is always this assumption that Military special forces must be uber-deadly hand to hand fighters (though quite a few in my experience are), their training in this area tends to be short and simple when compared to other areas of their training.

4. blindside

blindside Valued Member

My instructor is the contract instructor for the 19th Special Forces Group, he has held that contract for at least the last 8 years. However, in the practical sense it doesn't mean that every member of the unit is drilling in it daily, basically it provides some regularly scheduled baseline training for every member of the unit and for those who want it, they can attend the weekly group classes for free so they can get more intensive training.

About two weeks ago the bidding period closed on a DEVGRU contract that was looking for three 5 day courses of intensive instruction. The scope of work on that contract listed the first qualification as being a "Tuhon in Kali". Clearly someone in that group was angling for a particular type of instruction.