Who do you pick? Rousey or Tate?

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Microlamia, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ugh...I'm seriously thinkng about not watching MMA anymore. Arms ain't meant to do that. :(

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Initially had that view too but seems defending champs and grudge matches in general where tapping out is just not an option

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Yeah, let's just look at the floor and blast straight into the olympic judoka's clinch right off the bat. A flawless plan.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The judo in that fight was literally world class.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Tate also had some very nice transitions, kept back control for quite some time and she did escape the first armbar attempt. Which prob explains the late tapping in the second armbar.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think it's the way she positions her legs for the armbar. Tate probably thought she was OK right up to the point she wasn't.

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

iv been wondering about this since the fight, why didnt she pinch her knees it would have finished tate much cleaner and quicker, did she do it that way deliberately cos they don't like each other ?

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I don't know. Could be she didn't feel she needed to because she had Tate securely in that lock. I know more than once I'd not tap to keylocks because I didn't feel any pain then abruptly wonder why my serratus just tore.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

just watched. great fight. ronda's awesome.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Maybe it's because her BJJ isn't fantastic?

12. Dead_pool

Thats how judoka armbar.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Not the ones I know. I suspect she does it to control their posture.

14. Dead_pool

They cross the legs to control the far elbow. And flairing the knees keeps them relativly flat. Its good for quick armbar attampts. Some bjj schools do the same, most dont.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd say that while crossing the feet does lose some control of the elbow and make the arm harder to straighten it also increases the security of the overall position (especially when someone is bucking and turning to get out). That could make a real difference in a fight where a loss of position would/could be more costly than not finishing the armbar.
    Although to be honest the day I can critique Rousey's armbars is the day I give up martial arts.

16. Dead_pool

Theres pluses and minuses for both ways. feet on floor uncrossed and everything pinched in is better for overall control, but you would be a fool to suggest she changes sonething that is a pivotal part of her A game.

For me I find the feet crossed style to weak laterally, if they stack in and try to cut an angle.