Who Controls?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Apr 4, 2013.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

My best guess is that their instructors (or in some cases their instructors instructors) trained with the late Suzuki sensei - somewhere along the way.

But as was very common in the late 60's, 70's and 80's many folk left the Wado fold pretty early on in their training to form their own associations and groups.
    Some use the full Wado label, whereas others often quote “Wado-based”.

Gary

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I am not sure what counts for what here in the UK as far as karate associations go but these guys have membership with the English Karate Federation (and thus a WKF affiliate) (http://www.englishkaratefederation.com/clubs2/master-club-list.php ) (see 'Andy England') . I also found a reference by someone to training under an Andy England in Shotokan during a brief search although I can't be sure it is the same guy and the date of training was 1983.

The EKF membership criteria - What is the criteria for acceptance as a member of EKF?
    Membership is open to any bona fide, correctly organised association, federation or similar organisation, democratically organised and operated who wish to apply for membership. Once the application and fee has been received, the details are circulated to the board of EKF who will in their absolute discretion consider the details submitted, and then accept, reject or defer membership status.

To be honest I am not a karateka anymore and I wouldn't presume to judge anyone's skills in karate but it would seem that the EKF figures they are 'bona fide' or they wouldn't have membership.

Just an observation, feel free to correct me if the EKF isn't a good example of a traditional karate org here.

(They do say on their web site - ''National Federations and their members are prohibited from having sporting relationships with these dissenting organisations and with organisations not recognised by the WKF'' )

LFD

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

As I understand it, the EKF are one of several organisations here in the UK that uses the title NGB (National Governing Body).

There is no single overarching association for karate (with Sports Council recognision) in the UK - unlike Judo (I believe), but importantly, there is only one style of Judo.

Compare that to how many styles of Karate there are!

The EKF are not really interested in "styles" and for what they are trying to achieve, that's probably not a bad thing.

They exist primarily to promote safe working practices, coaching / training opportunities and an avenue for high level competition. It's really nothing more than a local subsidiary of the WKF with the end goal being sporting success. Not so much the "Gold Standard" of any given style.

"Style Legitimacy" is unimportant to them.

Personally, I feel that legitimacy is key, but I’m very much the traditionalist.

It sometimes gets up my nose when traditional styles are used to promote / enhance a clubs credibility (and more importantly the rank of the instructors) – when they clearly are a million miles off the mark in terms of what said style / tradition is all about.

The EKF don’t give two hoots about that fact though.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

It is. :)

btw it should be easy to find out of this perry guy is legit. For example my senseis do have a web presence, and their emails are there to get. as well as mailing addresses and other email addresses as well.

I also have doubts about my ex, he owns his own dojo now so sensei, because I think he promotes whoever is his gf so fast. But there is no doubt about my ability to comment on what he does, because he tried that crap with me. And I have a friend, asensei who owns his own dojo in Japan, who also knows him and agrees with me about him.

So whether they teach a martial arts that is not what they say it is, or they do teach legitimately but practice nepotism, there is a lot of fraud stuff going on out there.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Incidentally my old Shotokan org isn't affiliated to the EKF but so far as I'm aware is affiliated directly to the WKF. But if you're not a competitive group there's no need to have those kind of links.

6. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

My Wado group isn't - there's no benefit to us.

Instead, we are affiliated to the European Wadokai and the Japan Karate Federation Wadokai.

We find these offers us far more in the way of good Wado competition and training with the top Wado instructors.

To each their own though.

Gary

7. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Our Wado club is also associated with WadoKai Europe. Listed on their members page.

http://www.wadokai.eu/-Members-.html

But even within the Wado Karate there are so many branches, I've even known of another Wado club to open up within our region, but that closed down.

What are peoples opinions on self moderation? For example if you were teaching Karate, another dojo opened up locally claiming to teach the same style, charging less perhaps but unable to demonstrate even Kihon and basic Kata etc