Who Controls?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It always makes me laugh when a student calls out an instructor.

Go train with the guy. if it's not for you, then move on.

But if you really feel strongly about his poor skill level, then why not create a decent discussion by dissecting his movement and say where you feel it falls down.

Just saying, "he's rubbish", doesn't really cut it.

For me it's all about the feel. I've seen plenty of people who look poor, but when you touch hands with them you get a far greater understanding.

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Nonsense. I've been trying to find out exactly what it is you're after. I've not been posting personally in this thread, though I have drawn from personal examples. I've been posting with my MOD hat on as we've recently had a few threads in this forum where rightly or wrongly allegations have been made without proof against various instructors.

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

But he is a competitor to the school you train at ?
    That's my point , I take it he has many more students than you guys

Yet he seems to do quite well in competition.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

Which student is making you laugh by calling out their instructor?

JWT, why the red writing?

No, nothing to do with us. Competition success means nothing nowdays.

5. John Titchen

When I'm in full MOD mode in a forum I'm responsible for I tend to post in red. It's a fairly common on MAP.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sword stuff was very worrying.

Ignoring the sheer daftness of what was being done the setup looked very dangerous. I was waiting for one of those poor kids to get jabbed.

It had virtually no resemblance to JSA.

7. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

A I can say is I only looked at two clips briefly, none of which had SD or weapons, the karate didnt look too bad, I actually thought I saw a couple of half decent yoko Geri's !!
    Flame me.
    What strikes me as odd is you 'randomly' picking theses guys, who don't have a massive web presence! Why don't you 'fess up' and tell us why you REALLY want to discredit these people? We've all been there, not judging you on it, it's just smells a bit fishy.

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

your background?

I have to concur with hatsie here. You do appear to have an agenda both here and overall since you started posting. No biggie, but it would be better if you came clean.

You have asked about the quality of different people in a number of posts, complained about the way other people train and even call Mas Oyama a liar. You also have not posted what style you train in and what your grade levels are to be able to make these criticisms. Not that you need grades to complain but it seems that you have a lot of concerns over what other people do and the validity of their practices. If you are going to keep doing this sort of thing you really should tell us your background so we have some context.

LFD

9. puma

puma Valued Member

Have an agenda since joining years ago? I am not the only person in the world who has criticised Mas Oyama either. The point in this instance is, I don't teach, and I am not the one advertising rubbish martial arts with the only reason to do so being to rip people off. It seems odd to me that there is evidence here of a man clearly putting people at risk, look no further than the sword, and no one cares. You lot are saying this is okay. No wonder Martial Arts is in the state it is in. No matter who I picked it would have been the same. Maybe people are getting defensive because this is the standard they are used to, which if that is the case it is extremely worrying. I asked earlier if this is a club you would send your children to, or if anyone would train with someone like this. If no, why? Again, if yes, why? Just asking about me is a waste of time. I am not the subject here. Frauds teaching are. I'm not teaching. If people are going to ignore the subject, or haven't got anything to add to the conversation, or want to try and twist things, why come on here?

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The question about who you are is relevant because you have spewed a lot of vitriol and allegations against people and made some definitive statements - people are interested in knowing who you are and why you are qualified to make such statements

No one is saying shoddy martial arts are OK...they are saying quite clearly "Caveat Emptor".

I think it is apparent from even a cursory position that you have agendas with regards to this individual (and I am not mentioning your Mas Oyama rant which was on the whole embrassing). I stand for no fraud and never have...but i don't throw such mud without backing it up why i think it is bad and why i am in a position to do so

You rarely do either. So.....your turn to either show integrity or throw more mud

11. Dean Winchester

Your intent will be seen as being more sincere if you are more open and less confrontational.

You only have to look at my posts here and you will see I don't give dodgy teachers any leeway but I still think you come across as being agenda driven.

Now that agenda could well be that you want to see good instruction in your art or it could be more personal.

12. Dean Winchester

One thing I find odd Puma is that you haven't really gone to town on the sword work being shown, you have given it a cursory "it's dangerous".

Of all the stuff on that website the element I'd expect you to be jumping up and down over would be that. After all it has the highest potential for harm and I think would be the easiest to show a lack of credibility.

Did you pick this club at random or have you had them in mind all along?

I think the problem people have is that it seems that you have had certain things in mind from the start but haven't just stepped up and owned up to it.

It's all very well ranting about dishonesty but it gets problematic when you look like you are being disingenuous whilst doing it.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The obvious barometer of any grade in Wado.
    That's a very telling opinion actually.
    Says that you are very much within the Wado scene in that part of the world and have been asking around if they know of this chap.
    Agenda is obvious.
    Could turn out he trained for 10 years with Doug James or Suzuki. :)

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That said...they reference a 7th dan on their site that shows up in google only on their site. Which is a bit odd.
    How many other UK 7th dans in Karate would only show up on one site?

15. John Titchen

Actually my former Shotokan instructor (same 7th Dan grade) has very little web presence. Those who ran large locally based associations that had a good 30-40 year history (ie pre internet establishment in sports centres and schools) tended to fill up by word of mouth with little internet or press advertisement. I think he has one mention on the association he used to belong to (in the history section) and maybe one or two elsewhere - and then only because some of his clubs left that other org with him.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sure. But still....one site? And it's a site that someone (albeit someone with an agenda) has flagged up as potentially having dodgy history and grades?
    Just looking at the recent MAP thread on UK Karate high grade dans and I've heard of most of them with no web search needed at all (and the rest would probably turn up more than one mention on one site).

17. John Titchen

I'd missed the reference to the 7th Dan on the club site. D you have a link?

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

At the bottom of the "Aspects of Karate" page

Attached Files:

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean I don't wish to rubbish Mr Nicklen at all but when I look at a club site I always do a search on their highest ranked guy to see what their history and background is.
    A 2nd or 3rd dan is barely going to show up in a search but a 7th dan should leave some sort of footprint.

20. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I've been around the Wado circuit for over 25 years and know most of the main guys.

I don't recognise any of the names mentioned.

From the various websites that I have dug up by having a shufty round google, I think it would be safe to say that they are not in any way associated with any of the three major Wado branches.

As to whether that matters in order to qualify as a karate club, I don't know, but I wouldn't class what I have seen so far as Wado.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013