Who can stop Vanderlei Silva?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

The only person I would give a chance to now is Randy Couture. I still want to see Liddell fight him, but I would still bet on Silva.

I have a feeling Silva could have that belt for a VERY long time.

[​IMG]

2. Judecca

Judecca New Member

Silva definitely could hold this belt for a long time. But at the end of the first round last night, Quinton was within a hair's breadth of the belt, GnP'ing Silva. Even though I'm a Silva fan... stupid bell.

Who can beat him? I dunno... Vitor Belfort, maybe? The best thing to combat a big, mean Brazilian is another big, mean Brazilian. This is personal experience talking anyway... you try sparring with a Brazilian Muay Thai partner ;)

3. crovax612

crovax612 Valued Member

Man, i was really pulling for Quinton on that one. I thought he had solved the riddle of how to negate Silvas Thai Clinch. I just wish the first round had gone on for at least a minute more (even though i hear it went over by 20 seconds or so) cuz now we'll never know how close Rampage was to knocking out Silva.

The people I think would have a chance against Silva would be Randy, Chuck (he's great as finishing people once they're rocked), Dan Henderson and Rampage in about 2 years. MAybe even Vitor or Tito (if they allowed as much lay and pray) could do it again, but these days I don't know.

man....WHO CAN STOP THIS GUY!?

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

vitor... maybe vitor from a few years ago. vitor today would get his face smashed in the first round. Lidell can turn a fight with one punch, but I still wouldnt be betting on him. Really, I think Silva is too good right now for anyone to take his belt.

5. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

I'm a big Randy Courture fan but I don't think he could beat Silvia in a Pride ring. One of his greatest tools is the fence. He pressures you against the fence and uses dirty boxing, thats much harder to do against ropes they don't allow you to hold.

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i'd stand with him. challenged him for match a while back but he said he had problems with his knee's. i said "too right they are shockingly sloppy from the clinch". it was around that time my alarm went off and i went downstairs and had breakfast :D
    i honestly cant think of anyone who could beat him in a pride ring. if he was fighting in the octagon then my money would be on randy. maybe we will just have to wait till silva gets too old to fight!

7. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

I am intrested to see the outcome of any Crocop - Silva rematch.... Both of whom have gotten better since their last fight...

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The way Vitor's performing these days, I don't see him beating Silva. The thing with Vitor is that I honestly believe the guy has the tools to beat just about anyone, including Silva, but he just doesn't have the focus anymore.
    Chuck v Silva would be great. Aside from the clinch, they both have very similar styles, particularly in the way they throw those big, looping punches. It'd just be a standup war, two guys with good chins and KO power, punching each other in the head very hard until one goes down. :cool:
    I think CroCop may win a rematch purely on the basis of A) me being a CroCop fan, B) CroCop improving lots since their last match, and isn't so nervous of the takedown anymore and C) He's a heavyweight, Silva's a middleweight. If Silva goes in there at his current size, I think CroCop will beat him. If Silva goes up to heavyweight, it'll be interesting to say the least. I can only think of one fighter that's had any success going up in weight class and that's Tito.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Glad someone pointed that out :) Vitor beat him along time ago... Silva's a much better fighter now than he was then.

The Silva vs Cro cop 2 is comming up this christmas, so we'll all see if Cro cop is able to do anything about it :D

If they have the same rules as they did last time; Cro cop neednt worry so much about being taken to the floor.

Other than that, all i can think of is some big heavy weight like Bob Sapp? :D

10. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

This says it all.

[​IMG]

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol wow, i never really payed much attention to his nose in the video! Ugh :S

[​IMG]

That was one of the best fights ive seen in a VERY long time though. Jackson demonstrates Crazy Monkey boxing in it during the first round very well.

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Best. KO. Ever.
    It was certainly one of the fights of the year, I loved watching it. It was unlucky for Rampage, he put up a good fight and showed tons of heart, but Silva was just too much for him on the night.
    Seriously though, what's next for Vanderlei? Who is there in his weight division that's on the Pride roster that would have a shot? The only guy I can think of is Li'l Nog and I'm not sure he could do it either.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I left for work just as the Barnett v Cro cop fight was starting, and throughout the whole day i was desperate to hear the results... ive been looking forward to the Rampage v Silva fight for along time, and it sure did live up to its expectations!

14. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i hope randy beats wandy. i pray that he does. yet, logically, i don't see it happening.

vitor isn't what he used to be. i don't see that happening as well (unless vitor gets mondo game in the near future).

the way i see it, only wandy can beat wandy. but because i've not seen a more focused individual, i don't see that happening too.

if the heavens parted and a miracle happened, maybe the kamen rider 39 can do what he's failed to do in three outings...beat the axe murderer (*sigh*...we can dream can't we?)

15. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Lil nog....bustamante.....

Actually I don't think the problem is who to put in the ring with him.....the problem is who to put in the ring with him....who has a chance.

16. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

Man that nose was messed up. I don't think even Michael Schumacher could take that sharp of a turn.

17. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

The round DID go over and he still couldn't finish. When Rampage went back to his corner you could see he was winded. Even my wife could see that.

As for who could beat him - maybe Dan Henderson. Dan is underrated. Arona - on a very lucky night. Anyone, with a lucky shot, can beat Silva. It's just a matter of getting that lucky shot

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Which nobody has been lucky enough to land since Ultimate Brazil back in October of 98 when Silva fought Belfort!

19. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Upon further investigation done by myself (it was a slow day), the round didn't go over, but the TV and official clocks were out of synch because of the injury time after the groin strike.

20. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

Your right. Even though you never see the ref call time, there is about a 15 second stoppage. At the end of the round the on screen clock fades out at 15 seconds. The round goes on for 32 more seconds. I've been corrected twice about this Pride fight. When will I learn?