Who buys £200 gloves?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Monkey_Magic, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I see that Fairtex has limited edition gloves, some costing over £200 for a pair. Who’d buy these?

Presumably there’s a market, otherwise Fairtex wouldn’t make them. Are the gloves simply amazing quality? Do people collect them or use ’em?

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, that is high, but it says "The leather is raw, smooth and soft for the best craftsmanship and make it easy to form a fist." Best craftsmanship. (shrug)

I suppose there's a group of people who will collect just about anything. I knew a lady who collected everything Wizard of Oz, and I mean everything. When you say, "There are only 200 of these worldwide!" maybe boxing enthusiasts will snap up most of them.

axelb likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I paid about £100 for my fairtex.

I wouldn't pay £200, but I'm not a pro.

They have a reputation for good quality, I expect that is an appropriate cost, plus maybe 10% for sales spin.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Often heard Cleto Reyes make some of the best gloves and they can get pricey too. I bet after a certain point the extra cash doesn't correspond to an actual perceivable increase in quality.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cost is relative. What may be a month's grocery shopping to one person may be pocket change to another. It's marketing 101: make people believe your product satisfies a need you made them believe they have, and someone will eventually pay the asking price.

6. Kicksider

Kicksider New Member

Obviously, the 2 pairs that are twice as more expensive just have a different surface material and a different limited edition print. It may be just what some people are looking for to show off. Rich kids .... they can be bothersome.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Mayweather : "These a bit cheap, I'll take 10"

Rest of us : When is JD Sports having their Xmas sales?

axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Well off newbies will buy them, loads of people buy all the gear, do a class or two and then jack it in.

Plus having gloves in the £200 quid range, makes the £60 quid gloves sell more too, it's marketing 101.

Hannibal and axelb like this.
  9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You can get them cheaper if you don't buy from Fairtex directly.

I used to have the Thai Pride gloves (£100 in that link) and they cost me about £80 when I bought them about 6 years ago.

Fairtex equipment is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion, but I wouldn't pay more than £100 for any gloves personally.

axelb likes this.