white rose martial arts

Discussion in 'Karate' started by jkd_si, Jul 13, 2011.

1. lma

lma Valued Member

Yea I agree with you totally. Not every one should be able to hack all martial arts. Also I see what you mean about them trying to make it palatable for everyone.

Taking that out of the equation though. I more on about marketing and sales.

After all getting a 1000 people through the door but only keeping say 10% of them is still better than making it "wishey washey" but keeping 90% of 100 people that walk through the door.

I always see a link between o there big they advertise good they must be a Mcdojo! My club doesn't advertise we only barley cover hall costs, its just for fun. I have been thinking about expanding through good advertising and was little worried some on may call us McDojo if we did lol .

Nice to see most people on here are at least stating he should be putting qualifications up n I agree with that.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd say that advertising is not an immediate red-flag that a place is a Mcdojo.
    It's more the way it's advertised. The wording and the "pitch".
    Also...if lots of flannel and fluff is offered but no concrete details.
    For example, a club advertising "black belt skills" or "devastating self defence" but not what grade the instructor is or who he trained with to get it.
    Marketing and sales are great if what is offered is honestly described and reasonably priced.
    The problem arises when "devastating self defence" skills are advertised, a premium paid for those skills but what's really on offer is jumped up cardio kick-boxing for 45 minutes.

3. hext

hext Valued Member

You Just hit the nail on the head!

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'll second that!

Mike

5. lma

lma Valued Member

Basically as long as its not cheesy and it is honest with back up (i.e. your "lineage" as wing chun guys call it) its not really McDojo? Good think I am fine then.

6. Concerned mum

Concerned mum New Member

I just googled this company and came across this, now I don't know what to think. I appreciate this thread is rather old but can anyone shed any more light on whether White Rose Martial Arts is a reputable company or not?

My main concern is that all the instructors appear to be self employed, thereby negating the need for White Rose Martial Arts to carry out any sort of employee screening, ie: criminal checks etc. is this normal for an
    organisation like this? Is this something to take into account before I let these people teach my kids?

Thanks in advance for any advice

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Karate jitsu ? is that even a thing ?

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Concerned mum, what area do you live in? There is always someone here who can recommend a good place for you to take your children.

10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yes, it very much is - it's usually used by people who want to emphasise the combative side of the art, rather than the 'do' site. I believe Ian Abernethy sometimes refers to his karate as karate justu?

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Wow, I didn't know that either. Thanks for that. :)

12. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Karate Justu wait!!?? lol

Last edited: May 7, 2012