white rose martial arts

Discussion in 'Karate' started by jkd_si, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jkd_si

jkd_si Valued Member

My friend has just started working for white rose martial arts in Leeds (UK) as a "martial arts sales representative". This set alarm bells ringing for me and so I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about white rose, maybe even trained there?
    My friend has no martial arts experience at all but has told me he's being "fast-tracked to blackbelt" which raises some concerns for me,the style is "karate jutsu"

2. hext

hext Valued Member

3. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

what does a 'martial arts sales representative' do? Help to sell out martial arts?

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He's (seemingly) registered with the BCA (Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine's association) so if he's not up to par something's gone wrong.
    Does sound pretty dodgy though.

5. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

http://whiterosemartialarts.com/

Sounds like an enterprising bunch of people.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i was at the job centre in leeds city centre and I saw this job.
    the descriptions set me off.
    i dont really want to work for a dodgy MA place as that puts my own credit in question.
    Saying that, they did offer free classes to people who work for them.
    most likely, its a trap.

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I have to say that sadly, affiliation with the BCA is no guarantee of solid quality training. I trained briefly with a BCA group in the UK who were about as McDojo as it gets in terms of enterprising/business expansion and whose training - although including a regular amount of randori - was based around a severely weak syllabus that essentially resembled slightly reworked WJJF 'jujitsu' and was taught via complient drills with ocassional short kata.

The school expanded very rapidly and although fairly priced was the sort of place to hand out dan rank to toddlers. BCA meant not much more than 'we have insurance' to be honest.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. ScottUK

Dude, it's just pyramid marketing, no big deal.

You get free classes, they give you the coveted green beret sooner than you'd normally earn it (they will justify that by saying you have had one-to-one tuition and you are a fast learner) and you go off and set up a business - for them.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

There's something dodgy about this. I looked at the picture in the link you posted and I'm sure it's not in North Leeds.

10. ScottUK

I saw a massive Torii in a lake the last time I was in Leeds. Have you never been?

11. Mangosteen

yeah.
    its true.
    usually when they say "franchising opportunities" i run away from that mc dojo.
    but they didnt pay too good either.

also i thought they were south towards dewsbury.

NAT MAC is near bradford.

12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Leeds:

[​IMG]

Japan:

[​IMG]

Seems legit to me.

13. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

Sounds like GKR.

14. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I understand that the instructor is indeed a former GKR Karate instructor, from somewhere on or near the south coast if I remember rightly. He's set up his own outfit taking much of GKR's marketing techniques with him.

To be fair, I have no idea what else he's studied other than GKR, or to what level, or what the syllabus consists of. I confess that I'm not encouraged by the bland (if stylish) website with lack of content and - in particular - lack of detail on the instructor.

I'll certainly be interested to hear of anyone's training experiences with them.

Mike

15. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

We had the same sort of thing near me. Had a guy come to class that was selling memberships for a kickboxing club. They got private lessons for an hour a week so they did not look completely ingnorant but they were not members!!

He came to learn something that he thought might be useful after his experiences selling LOL!! I didn't have the heart to tell him about my lifetime contract and blackbelt course that he was going to HAVE to sign up for ;' )

LFD

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

This confirms what i thought , avoid at all costs.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My god...I think things have really gone to the dogs when something so seemingly primal and basic as martial arts training and learning how to fight is turned into a "franchise opportunity".
    What's wrong with people?

18. ScottUK

There's a lot of drooling idiots out there with money to burn on nonsense if it makes them look cool in front of their Facebook buddies.

19. Mangosteen

Are you being sarcastic?
    isnt this the premise of a Mcdojo?

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It was more a rhetorical rant at the world.
    McDojo's are one thing..."franchise opportunities" seem another level again. There's not even a pretence that it's anything but a business to make money.
    At least McDojos try and hide the more unsavoury side (for the most part).