White Lotus Kenpo?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by OwlMAtt, Jul 1, 2011.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Maybe the OP realises it is BS,
    but is curious to go or have went,
    and the op really desires to train there,
    but the op is looking for others to give info,
    which no more than that the op already has

EXACTO! :cool:

2. 47MartialMan

Of course the usual Bodhi and Kung Fu-Kenpo regurgitated “tale”;
    http://www.ckfa.net/pailumtao/kenpo.shtml

Anytime someone, style, or place, has to reference or use this “tale”, we know they do not have a accurate history and perhaps they are BS

Hence, I have to reiterate from my first post in this thread;

White Lotus is a old term having a vague historic reference. I think the title is taken to make an vain attempt to associate with something old.

Simply, it sounds "old and cool"

And the lineage;
    http://www.ckfa.net/pailumtao/pailum_tree.shtml

Notice the words;
    (As told to disciple Glenn C. Wilson in Orlando, Florida, in 1992 by Dr. Daniel Kane Pai)

Notice if you google ANY of the teachers, it goes right back to their website or the common people of that art

Perhaps, on such a international forum as this, you will not find someone. Like it has been said, go there a see for yourself

In other words, asking what its like or someone who might of trained there on a forum is pointless when you could or should go in person

3. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Well, I'm sure the White Lotus name comes from Pai having supposedly trained at a White Lotus monastery in Okinawa in 1942. The trouble with that story is that it's highly unlikely an American civilian could have made such a trip to Okinawa while the USA was at war with Japan, and the style supposedly practiced at that monastery is nowhere to be found in present-day Asia. From what I can tell, the style clearly has a lot of Okinawan influence, but that probably comes from what Pai picked up in Hawaii. Many other Okinawan-flavored styles of kenpo came out of Hawaii at about the same time as Pai Lum/White Lotus.

I have been in e-mail contact with the martial arts center I mentioned in the original post, and they have pretty much come out and told me that White Lotus kenpo is essentially a close-range version of Pai Lum, and is therefore part of the creative legacy of Pai himself rather than an ancient Okinawan style.

Funny, that's not what their web site says.

As to the advice I've received a couple of times, yes, I intend to go visit them. I was just hoping for a take on it from someone with more knowledge of kenpo. I fear I wouldn't know authentic kenpo if it sat in my lap and called me mama.

4. 47MartialMan

As I had informed you; anytime someone, style, or place, has to reference or use the same regurgitated “tale”, we know they do not have a accurate history and perhaps they are BS

As I had informed you, such places will use old terms having a vague historic reference. I think the title is taken to make an vain attempt to associate with something old. Simply, it sounds "old and cool"

As I had informed you; THIS is the true story-situation;
    Basically, there was a guy whom studied a few arts (50-70's) ; learned or research about a old title or term, created a style from these researched title/term, started to teach and gain followers.

Authentic Kenpo is almost like many other martial art today. I think calling or naming a martial art nowadays "authentic" is a misnomer

However; You can research any art upon its lineage and legacy. As I informed you, I had studied Kenpo, under such a lineage and legacy.

But this did not seem "good enough for you" as it would seem that you rather find someone closer to White Lotus Kenpo or Pai Lum Tao (Esp, and inadequately on a international internet forum)

In short, you want to find good Kenpo, trace the well-known lineages and legacies. You don't need it to be on your lap, and it don't need to call you mama. You need to be clear upon lineage and legacy

White Lotus Kenpo or Pai Lum Tao is not clear upon Kenpo lineage and legacy

Their site claims to be related to Ed Parker;
    http://www.ckfa.net/pailumtao/kenpo.shtml

Their lineage is also upon;
    Professor Osakis and Richard Takamora
    Which no other place(s) are they mention EXCEPT for White Lotus Kenpo or Pai Lum Tao

There are no references of a White Lotus Monastery in Okinawa, let alone that it would be one of martial art study.
    Perhaps you could contact well renowned authors such as Patrick McCarthy, Louis Frederic, or Mark Bishop, to name a few, to see if such a monastery existed.

This is the Ed Parker Lineage Tree;
    http://www.tracyskarate.com/Parkertree/parkerhome.htm

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. 47MartialMan

Per this^^^^

I wanted add; after more research, Daniel K Pai is scantly known in the martial arts world. He has made "casual" contact with a few other martial art "knowns"

Some of these other martial art "knowns" have their own controversy

That said, I cannot confirm nor deny, what type of information or study his current system is reflecting today.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

47MartialMan already pointed it out in another thread with a link to wikipedia.

Basically, Kenpo is going to come from Hawaii. So all Kenpo schools have roots through Hawaii probably around 1930s-1950s. From there it spread to the rest of USA and other parts of the world.

There may be many claims of origins before Hawaii, but those aren't all that relevant for what is taught today, and some of these claims for origins are not factual or at least have not proven to be true, some claiming to go back hundreds of years.

The one thing about Kenpo is that how you are taught can vary a lot from generation to generation and school to school. They may share common techniques in many cases or similar techniques and forms, but other than that, each school should be evaluated separately for merits as they apply to you... the reason, unfortunately, is some Kenpo schools are very commercial to the point where they could be considered belt factories... on the other hand, there are many progressive kenpo schools that are very decent.

7. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

47MM, thanks for trying to help, but I was hoping for something I couldn't find for myself on Google. Apparently no one here has any of that kind of information, which should at least be a clue that this isn't a style that has achieved much recognition or acceptance in the martial arts world.

Rebel, thanks for the advice.

8. 47MartialMan

I knew this and agree. The strange thing about Kenpo, is the use of a "m" Kempo, in some circles. This brings upon another interesting discussion

With utmost sincerity, I wasn't trying to be forth righteous.

I have briefly studied or "work out with" many people/stylists whom had a short lineage, or far-fetched one.

Some of whom had good techniques, but a bad habit of trying to historically link their art.

I am very skeptical of people trying to present something far above than what it really is

If these people/stylists would leave out the “story telling” and "exclusive-no one else has like theirs", they would be more inclined to originality

Therefore, White Lotus Kenpo/Pai Lum Tao, could be a good system, but they are bad a trying to market it.

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

White Lotus Kung Fu!!!! That's the DEADLIEST style of Kung Fu there is......

10. 47MartialMan

Not only do they have No Touch Ko, they can knock you out just reading the wor.......

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Actually I learned it was the deadliest style from watching The Boondocks. If it's on TV it must be true.

12. 47MartialMan

And the movies also

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

14. 47MartialMan

15. ROBER-E

ROBER-E Valued Member

i know a form called white lotus.Im not sure if its the same thing your talking about,but i think it comes from the tum pai section of kajukenbo.

16. 47MartialMan

Any form or routine can give reference.

This doesn't make it a complete, whole, authentic art