White history month?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hiroji, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Polar Bear,

You'll only confuse him by taking him seriously. He's probably not used to people doing that. ;)

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ignorance is only a crime after somebody has tried to enlighten you.

The Bear.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmm... spoken like a true ignoramus.

Whatever respect I had for you... has just gone out the window. :(

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The wheel if not invented had many important improvements by the africans.

Well for a start "Africans" is just way to general a term to be used in such a way.
    And I'd really like to hear how "The Africans" improved the wheel. Please.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Agreed.
    As if Africa was one big homogenous group of people. :rolleyes:

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The Egyptians are credited with the invention of the spoked wheel. Wheels originally were of solid construction which while being strong was extremely heavy. The invention of the spoked wheel allowed for faster more manueverable vehicles namely the egyptian war chariot. Anyone with Alloy wheels on their car will understand the benefit of this invention to humanity.

The Bear.

7. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Given that people have been talking about Black History Month is Ancient Egypt really relevent. While some people argue otherwise, Ancient Egypt was not really dominated by black people and as such can hardly be used as a shining example of their achievements.

And yes before you say it I am well aware that Egypt is a part of Africa.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

But more importantly to most of you...

The Egyptians invented BEER.

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

And condoms. :cool:

10. NaughtyKnight

Why is "black" automatically African? What about the West Indians nations, Australian Aboriginals etc etc.

11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Well west Indian nations Black People are descended from Black Africans and either Europeans (including Scottish and Irish slave workers it was not all mass rape by the overseers) and Chinese people and South Asian Indians and the native Amerindian people (I am not sure that is an OK term now, feel free to put me straight if it's offensive in any way) or a mix of the whole lot.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Sure "black" doesnt only mean African. But the guy mentioned Africa and we have been talking about Black History Month I am fairly sure that he wasn't referring to Aboriginals, Southern Indians, West Indians etc.

13. NaughtyKnight

I just find the whole "African American" thing stupid. If I was an Aboriginal living in America, it would definatly insult me to be called "African".

14. southern jester

southern jester New Member

the egyptians should get a month for inventing beer!

15. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

HUH!!!!!!!

They nicked it from the Mesopotamians, apparantly... :D

16. southern jester

being an amateur winemaker saw a website a while back that did claim the egyptians invented beer. even had this recipe for ancient beer. sounded nasty and never tried duplicating recipe though.

serious research needs to be done to resolve this issue. who invented beer? must have been a very advanced civilization. truly a milestone in the ongoing advancement of society.

my favorite is sam adams (too expensive though) next comes budweiser (not that sissy lite or ice stuff) then amber bock. in a pinch the best is anything cold. although my friends maintain any free beer is best.

17. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

The proof lies with archaeology.....food and drink remains found in pottery (in situ, therefore datable) can be analysed and then identified.

All that can be said at this moment in time, as a find tomorrow could push the time backwards, is that the Mesopotamians have the earliest identified beer to date. :D

18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

is white history month over? :p

19. southern jester

this sounds more like world history to me. not sure if the mesopotamians were of any specific race. thought it covered lot of ground.

maybe the history of beer month!

20. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Personally I think we should just study history in an overall context and see different viewpoints based on different people's (insert race, ethnicity, etc.) experiences. Having an extra month is really not the point but getting to understand everyone's overall experience is. :cool: Only then will we hope to understand each other in a better light. :D