White history month?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hiroji, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Within the calendar year we celebrate black history etc...

Do you think it’s only fair that we should include a 'celebrate white history' month?

Are you proud to be a white person? Or is our history too steeped in negativity to be celebrated?

Do you think it holds true that most of the bad in the world today is a creation of the white man? Or is it a case of the white man developing the means necessary in fairly recent times to influence the way we have, and if another race had developed it they would have done the same?

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

*makes a big tub of popcorn and get sets for a nice long thread of sparks flying. :D

3. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I don't think we celebrate 'white history' because we didn't have the problems to overcome that the blacks did.

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Generally, the history of Europe is what is focused on in most school systems so it's not necessary. Many people in the States are proud of their European heritage whether it's Irish, Scottish, Polish, Italian or in my case English. It's not a case of being proud to be white.

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. The minute I feel my chimpy sense tingling then it's locked and the key thrown away forever.

Keep it nice peeps. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  6. slipthejab

forever even. :p

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

*watches the BNP people rubbing their hands together in glee*.............

8. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

What is the purpose of black history month? To remember the struggles they have faced as a race? What recent struggle have whites as a race had?

9. Chimpcheng

Dunno what you mean slips... :confused:

10. slipthejab

hahaha... you changer-after-typer :D

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

*sigh*

I'm not even sure I want to comment on this issue, so all I'll say is this: We spend one month of the year on Women's history, Black history, or Gay history. We spend 11 months of the year studying the history of white, straight men.

12. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

I dont agree with a white history month but saying that im not to keen on the concept of black history month either, i would rather German history month,french history month,(insert nation here) history month, i think that would be a lot less problematic and doesnt have the stigma attatched to a race history month.

The idea of a black history month seems crazy to me, i mean the term 'black' could apply to any number of African nations with their own history,so to have an umbrella 'black' history month seems wrong, i think focusing on a certain country/nation would be better such as 'Nigerian history month'or 'the history of Uganda week'.

If the project is on the key slave trade years,then have 'slave trade month ' and focus on the aspects of the trade and the ethics of it, perhaps it might be good to talk about the slave trades of many countries aswell, i mean Mostnations have enslaved people,whatever the race of them.

But ethically, i think having a Race/Colour month is flawed in many ways however to Talk of countries give's the country its own sense of identiy within the world without the Race label, i mean i woud rather do 'British culture/history month' rather than the catch all title of 'white week' which could really apply to any number of differing european nations all wth a unique history to itself.

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yea, now that is priceless. LOL

Gary

14. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

Unless you study ancient greek or roman history. In that case you study bisexual/homosexual white history :p

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

We do?

16. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

for the most part, yes....

17. Chimpcheng

Caucasians have had in rough in the world of Hip-Hop. If it wasn't for the likes of pioneers such as Eminem and, erm, Vanilla Ice they'd be no where. :D

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

pmsl!!! :D

19. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

You cant compare struggles like that,i mean white people face the same hardships as black people, white and black people have been in all the recent wars, face the same diseases,face the same threat of poverty and starvation in some countries. I think your making a racial divide where it isnt necessary in the issue, anyone can suffer,anywhere, of any race and it will happen and happen again until the world ends,white and black people suffer all the time and you cant just out of thin air say black people struggle more.

I dislike the hole concept of the race month!

20. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

As a proud Scandinavian let me say, we are starting to think about almost being sorry for what we did to the English. :D :p

...or not. :D