Which would you train in? (Probably been asked a bunch)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rmjim, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

So after getting an intermediate belt several years ago in Chuck Norris Karate (which in my opinion was a mcdojo type setting) is like to get started in MA again. I moved to a new city with ALOT of different places to train. Here’s what I’m looking for...1. Good workout to help my 44 yo body get back in shape and help with my t2 diabetes. 2. Realistic self defense to protect myself and my family. Here’s my options...ATA TKD places, American Karate place, several places offering BJJ (Pedro Sauer school, Royce Gracie network, and an Erik Paulson school I actually tried a bjj class at) a Kung fu school, and some place that teaches Shorinji Kempo. The Erik Paulson school also teaches JKD concepts intertwined with kickboxing. What would you recommend for my goals. I want something to realistically meet my goals yet something I won’t get bored with or have to give up all other hobbies for. Thanks in advance

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Contact them all, explain your goals and ask to attend an introductory class then see which one you like the most.

Unless you are unlucky enough to live in a terrible neighborhood fitness should be your first goal self defense isn't that high a priority, and if it is and you are in the states learn to shoot

Thomas and axelb like this.
  3. ned

ned Valued Member

You can't go wrong with boxing if it's available.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Mid 40s, out of shape and with diabetes boxing might not be the best thing to start with

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  5. ned

ned Valued Member

Guess that depends on the club, my local caters for over 40's with appropriate
    training dependant of age/ fitness/ability.
    Plenty primarily go for the work out and conditioning, mostly shadowboxing,skipping, padwork with some light sparring.

6. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

Yeah. Not much by way of boxing near me. I’ve taken bjj in the past but to me it’s kind of like if you don’t train x amount of days a week and basically make it a lifestyle or goto comps or seminars then you really aren’t going to get anywhere. But that’s my opinion. I’m not too sure about JKD concepts either. Shorinji Kempo is a little new to me but I understand it’s almost like aikido with a lot of emphasis on training defense. I do conceal carry but there’s times and places I can’t. I’m a big dude anyway but I just want to find something realistic and not mcdojo or hype. I know bjj is all the rage but I know there’s a political side as well

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

if you have the opportunity, definitely try a free class at all of them :)

whichever you like the best, then you are most likely to stick with for longest.

Other items come next:
    cost (is it in your budget)?
    distance (they all sound reasonable distance)
    timetable - does it fit around other parts of your lifestyle?

I can echo @icefield comment - I think this is one of the higher items that people choose to start "self defense", but unless you are in a place regularly likely to be attacked, and it sounds like you are US based, then martial arts is part of the equation.

Thomas, pgsmith and Xue Sheng like this.
  8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The shorinji kempo I was exposed to was nothing like aikido (I say that as an aikido guy), but anyway, what Axelb said -- but I'd look at the JKD/kickboxing first. Odds are that it's self-defense oriented and the kickboxing part will give you an appropriate exercise.

axelb likes this.
  9. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

What did you think of Shōrinji Kempo? Are there lots of kata? I meant from what I’ve read it is like aikido because they do a lot of back and forth. But I don’t know much about it. What do you think of it?

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Go train at the Erik paulson school, take whatever classes you enjoy, and you'll get fit and be able to fight, or the BJJ schools if they offer striking/wrestling too.

ATA is a massive mcdojo, and shorinji kempo won't teach you to fight.

11. aikiMac

Taekwondo training involves a lot of back and forth, too. So does escrima. I'm sure everything does, so I don't know what you mean by that. I started in aikido at a Shorinji school, and I would sometimes watch part of the adult class. It's a form of Japanese karate. That school claimed that Shorinji kempo came from the Shaolin kung fu temple, or is the same as Shaolin kung fu, or something. I was never quite clear on the connection but it never made sense to me because watching the adult class -- they were doing Japanese karate. Later in time at the nearby Japanese cultural center I saw a Shorinji demonstration from the club that trained at the cultural center. It looked like karate.

I'm not a karate guy so I don't have an opinion about what I think of it.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Shorinji kempo lost a court case a few decades ago, so it has to be called nippon shorinji kempo now, its hakko ryu Aikijujitsu mixed with some chinese striking but culturely patterned like karate.

Generally they're is some randori, but not enough for it to be that good.

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I would gravitate towards to the Erik Paulson school personally, good pedigree and you no doubt will get good resistive training and fitness, speak to the instructor about your issues and try a class or two, If it doesn't work out I would check out the BJJ.

14. aikiMac

Ah, interesting. I just now looked it up on Wikipedia:
    That makes sense. The owner at the school I was at was a Buddhist monk (Zen), and Buddhist meditation was part of the training.

Like DP I was not impressed with their randori, but that's a sample size of one, so, maybe the school you found is different.