Which Weapon to Carry for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Jul 3, 2015.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Why do you say that? I think of it as a big stick swinging at the bad guy's head. Certainly there's value in that.

2. AJMartialArtist

AJMartialArtist Valued Member

Well if your not trained its a clumsy weapon easily avoidable by your opponent and more chance of hurting yourself with it if not properly trained

3. aikiMac

I reject as absurd the suggesting that I'm more likely to hurt myself when I swing a big stick, than I am the guy I'm swinging at.

A walking stick is essentially a baseball bat -- just thinner. I don't have to play much baseball to be able to swing a bat at someone.

4. AJMartialArtist

Keep swinging your big stick

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

As was said in the article.
    In addition we know that those who carry are more likely to use a weapon inappropriately.

It's probably a cultural thing, but I'm not an advocate for carrying a weapon.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You're giving yourself a best case scenario.

What if you're ambushed or bundled on by a load of guys? Now you're on the ground and they have a stick to hit you with.

I've had someone try to stab at me with a cane. I disarmed them and could have used it against them as a weapon if I was that way inclined, or the context was different.

If you have less of a clue about fighting than your opponent/s, then I don't hold out much hope of you getting to swing that cane more than once, and you'd be lucky to get a meaningful strike in with it.

7. AJMartialArtist

Thanks for explaining it better than what I did

8. aikiMac

But, those who don't carry don't have the weapon, so of course they can't use it -- appropriately or not.

I stopped carrying a weapon many years ago, but at the same time, I don't have a problem with someone else carrying a gun, knife, stick. I've been in grocery stores so many times shopping next to someone who has a pistol on his hip, and no one ever got shot. So it probably is a cultural thing, yes.

I don't think your scenario really ends differently if I didn't have a stick, so it's not about the stick, your point is lost on me. Sorry.

9. David Harrison

Because being a football for a group of thugs doesn't end in death most of the time. Being hit with a lump of wood does far more often. Change "stick" to "knife" and the risks increase again.

If you don't know how to use a weapon, it can easily become a disadvantage. Much harder to use your own fists against you.

We haven't even got into the legal aspects yet. If I smash someone up in a public place with a walking stick, I'm pretty sure it would raise some eyebrows in court when I obviously have no problems walking.

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  10. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

A weapon can increase your abilities from a physical perspective (it doesn't change the need to have verbal and mental skills, awareness etc, in fact it may increase those needs). But they still require skills, just different ones.

If I'm attacked and defend myself with, say, boxing, I need to be able to block, move and punch. If I have a knife I still need to be able to block and move, but I also need to be able to draw the knife, and then use it effectively. I probably don't need to be as strong in order to incapacitate my opponent as I would if I was relying on fists, but I still need skills.

Sucker punched with a .45 in its holster isn't very different from sucker punched unarmed

11. aikiMac

So, your context is that you’re worried about getting jumped by "a group" of people, and then in particular your concern is, “Wow, I better not have a stick with me when they jump me, because they might hit me with it.”

Hmm. :confused: :thinking: I’m doubting whether stick/no stick is what I should be concerned about if I was concerned about getting jumped by a group of people, but, okay, so we disagree. Disagreement happens on a discussion board.

I presumed that a walking stick is, in and of itself, legal; it is legal where I live. Given that, and speaking as a defense lawyer, I really don't think the prosecutor is going to care that the guy who got jumped by "a group" of people defended himself with a stick.

12. David Harrison

It doesn't have to be a group of people, don't get hung up on one example. You were talking about an untrained person with a stick. I doubt they could hold onto it long enough for it to be effective if they try and use it on someone who is more handy than they are. It is a potential threat to the owner, that's all.

This is probably a difference of local law then. In the UK, any item that may be used as a weapon can get you on the wrong side of the law if you have no legitimate reason for carrying it in public.

13. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

I seem to remember from the police that you are not allowed to carry anything you intend to use as a weapon.
    There are types (in a public place).
    1. 'Made' offensive weapons - things that have no other purpose than to be used as a weapon - baton, tonfa, dagger, kubotan, firearm, pepper spray, etc.
    They may not be carried in the UK other than by official appointment.
    2. Adapted weapons - the concept is similar. Sharpened credit card, toothbrush, spoon, nail-studded stick. I cannot think you could possibly be appointed to carry any such thing.
    3. Weapons of intent. Kitchen knife in your pocket, snooker ball inside a sock, or even a jar of ground pepper.
    This category includes anything you carry as a weapon. Including a walking stick if you do not need it as an aid to mobility. No-one would enquire why you had it unless you hurt someone with it and then you would be asked about medical history.
    4. The only weapon you are allowed is a weapon of opportunity, otherwise known as instant arming.
    So without préméditation you reached for an object because you had a reasonably held fear for your safety and you employed the weapon proportionately to the danger at hand.
    That might well be your walking stick, or a steak-knife or paring knife, or a ball-point pen. And the weapon can even be deadly if lethal force is reasonable under the circumstances

14. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

This might sound crazy but when I was a kid I used to pick up good throwing stones. I grew up in some rough areas where it wasn't uncommon to get jumped or harassed by small groups of bullies. I was always good and accurate at throwing so I figured I could throw a large stone toward an attacker's head to slow them down. I never had to use the stones.

When I was older, I used to hustle pool for fun. I defended myself more than once with the threat of clocking someone with a billiard ball.

15. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

Glad I live in Texas. It's lawful to carry guns with a carry permit. You can carry a gun in your vehicle as long as you can legally own a gun. Not a good state if you're a criminal.

16. David Harrison

Violent crime is about twice that of England and Wales, so I'd say it is a pretty good place to be a criminal.

17. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

It's all about demographics and where you live. It used to be open season on Texans because thug with a gun could get away with almost anything before the police arrived. We had a lot of car jackings before concealed carry but that all stopped when drivers started shooting back. The word got around and car jacking are almost unheard of anymore. Likewise, so are street crimes. Muggers don't feel it's worth their while to get shot for $50. You don't know who's carrying and who's not, so you have to assume everyone is. You start trouble at your own risk. When they expanded the Castle Law. A CCP holder can also protect innocents being attacked in their vicinity. No, it's not the wild west. Law abiding people are just equally armed as the criminals. They generally go find easier targets.

18. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Hasn't Texas allowed concealed carry (with a permit) since the late 1800's? That'd make for some interesting car jackings.
    My Grandpa had a CCW in his day.

19. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Although I've always found it strange that Texas allows firearms to be carried but somehow knives are just too much.

20. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

Concealed carry became legal in Texas in 1994. Open carry became legal last year.

Knives are legal as long as the blade is less than 5" long. Pepper spray and a kubatons are also legal. Many people walk with short sticks. Texas is a right to protect state. I've never seen anyone get charged with carrying an unlawful weapon. When we were kids, we played with nunchucks in the public park. As long as you don't bother anyone, law enforcement will leave you alone. My dog is a dangerous weapon. He doesn't back down. ha ha