Which Style

Discussion in 'Karate' started by MingTheMerciles, Mar 19, 2007.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

Which style of Karate is suitable for me ?

I want a Style to do more on Sparring and Weapon ( Bo Staff ) and goes along well with Jujitsu . Mostly want to learn to use a Bo Staff

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Well firstly, what clubs are in your area. It's no good me telling you to join the organisation I'm in if you live outside of the U.K.

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Ming :D

Based on my own experiences over 34 years, I had 20 years of mainly Japanese arts, including Judo, Jiu Jitsu and Karate. My interests were similar to yours. I wanted to do more realistic sparring and weapons combat. I chose the Filipino Martial Arts and have not looked back since. The FMA (Kali / Arnis / Eskrima) covers all fighting ranges and sparring in all ranges. It may be worth checking it out. Many of my students are from Jiu Jitsu, Karate, TKD etc backgrounds and they adapt extremely well.

If you have any further questions, drop me a PM.

Respectfully

Peter

4. MingTheMerciles

i do learn Jujitsu , Kendo and Arnis . But would also want to practice using the Bo Staff and slightly more striking in my arsenal . So i am thinking about Okinawan or Kyokushinka or ****o-Ryu Itosu-Kai

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  5. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I do Seiki Juku, and our HQ is the Busen, at Twickenham, where you can also train in Ju Jitsu and Judo.

6. Bridge

Bridge Valued Member

Erm, might be a bit of a trek coming all the way from Canada?

I think a lot of styles of karate will give you sparring and a mix with jiu jitsu. Karate styles often include joint locking and throwing techniques.

Then again, you might not like jiu jistu being done in a karate stylee and just want something to complement your jiu jitsu?

Anyway I used to do jiu jitsu until I moved towns and Wado Ryu (way back). I think those two would go together nicely. Smooth flowing, small circles...

If you want to learn the bo I suggest you check each club out, ask the instructor. I think a lot of instructors would like to do bo practice often, but restrictions on space and whether students own/bring one can limit this. Check to see if the training room is nice and big with a high ceiling too.

The Shotkai/Shotoryu (NOT Shotokan) do a huge amount of bo practice. Alas, they do not spar, EVER.

You could also check out Prof. Stephen Chan of the Dentokan who is an amazing bo practitioner. I'm not sure if they have clubs in Canada though.

7. MingTheMerciles

How about Okinawan Style ?

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

9. MingTheMerciles

By the way I live in Vancouver

10. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I might be wrong but i didn't think kyokushin did much bo work :confused:

12. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

It depends really. Some schools are really into weapons training. Its actually quite surprising.

Merciless Ming wanted sparring so naturally I chose kyokushin. Kyokushin is very popular in Canada, with lots of local and national level tournaments (at least more so than in the US).

Quick disclaimer, I am not going to bash any other style. The stop looking comment was sarcastic.

Ming, before you check out any school, think about why you want to train. You said you wanted to learn something that complimented jiu jitsu. I assume you mean japanese jiu jitsu. What is the ration of striking/grappling in your ryu? Also do you spar at your school (you may call it randori)?

Why do you want to learn bo staff? Do you plan on competing in forms tournaments? Do you just enjoy the aestheic qualities, beauty, and history of bo kata?

Just want a little more info.

13. MingTheMerciles

We do spar in Jujitsu ( mostly groundwork , very seldom any strike ) and I would do this for the beauty of Bo Kata