Which Style for me??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by beefyheath, Nov 11, 2013.

1. beefyheath

beefyheath New Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm new here, and new to Martial Arts, so be gentle!! lol.
    Im looking for a MA/system that incorporates: Joint Manipulation, Locks, Holds, Pressure Points and Weapon Defence, Which style or system do you feel would incorporate all of these?
    Note, I haven't included strikes, as I think most MA/Sytems already involve them, and personally I would rather restrain or put someone in an armlock etc than beating them to a pulp!!
    Thank You in advance

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Hi Beefyheath, let us know your rough geographical location and we'll make some suggestions.

4. beefyheath

beefyheath New Member

Hi Sifu Ben, I'm in Kent, Thanks

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I would say Aikido is the closest thing I could think of to hitting all of those notes but my understanding is getting a club where progression and making things actually applicable in a relatively short time is harder than some other arts.

If you're willing to do an art that include strikes then I think Hapkido would be worth a gander.

If weapon defence is optional then jujitsu will cover everything else but japanese jujitsu schools can be hit and miss as well.

Then again if weapon defence is optional I'd say go do Judo. Locks, throws etc and since its a sport heavy art its very self defence applicable.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Well that narrows it down. :)

Simon may be well placed to help you.

7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi beefyheath,

There's quite a lot in Kent, depending on where about you're located.

I teach Taijiquan for free in Strood, Medway..

The is MAP member Simon in Maidstone - I can't remember off the top of my head what he teaches, but I seem to remember a Jeet Kune Do background??

Then there are many other schools. Again, depending on where you are located in the garden :)

8. Simon

beefyheath, I do have a Jeet Kune background and it does form part of what I teach now, which includes boxing, a little Muay Thai and Eskrima, which inclues a lot of standing grappling.

I teach in Maidstone and Snodland and you'd be welcome to come along and ask questions.

I'm sure between Dan Bian and myself we can point you in the right direction.

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Ooh maidstone. I've been there. Lovely little village iirc. Played squash there once at a private squash club. Pretty posh place iirc, with a view on some rugby field or other. Lovely people. Ah. Good times... :)

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You haven't been there then :rolleyes:
    Depending on whereabouts in Kent obviously there's Simon in Maidstone as well as Kixx teaching southern Chinese Kung Fu. If you're over Canterbury/Folkstone way Fighting Lions teach southern Chinese Kung Fu.
    There are various FMA groups in Kent teaching Kali/Silat/JKD.

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Well, I only know it was maidstone. Could be we just were at one of the more well to do neighborhoods. I do remember it was very nice. And this was 15 years ago.

12. beefyheath

beefyheath New Member

Yeah im not far from Maidstone, can you recommend any FMA gyms?
    Thanks

13. beefyheath

beefyheath New Member

Thanks Dan Bian and Simon, I'm not far from Maidstone,

14. Simon

If it's just FMA then Eskrimadors Gym run by Ian Forster is the place to go.

http://www.eskrimadorsgym.co.uk/

Friendly people, well respected and Ian trains directly under Grand Master Danny Guba.

Ian runs the classes from Chatham and I've actually sent some of my students there.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013